Should I even ED anywhere with current score?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Easy-E

Should I even ED anywhere with current score?

Postby Easy-E » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:55 pm

3.1 169, 2 years WE. Does it make sense to ED anywhere? Seeing as I won't have much luck in the T-14, I'm aiming for minimal debt at a strong regional (though I'll probably apply at a few reaches). Would ED be worth it anywhere?

Easy-E

Re: Should I even ED anywhere with current score?

Postby Easy-E » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Bueller?

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:33 pm

An ED usually translates to little or no financial aid. There are exceptions, but they are generally schools in the T14 you have little shot at. I'd vote no because you need to leverage schollys amongst schools.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:36 pm

I don't know if you're going to get much $$ with your GPA. I would ED to a T14 school that you meet the LSAT median.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:37 pm

The Duck wrote:An ED usually translates to little or no financial aid. There are exceptions, but they are generally schools in the T14 you have little shot at. I'd vote no because you need to leverage schollys amongst schools.

About what I figured, don't wanna lose the ability to leverage. There are schools I would be willing to attend @ sticker (lower T-14) but I don't think the ED will even help unless I retake the LSAT.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:37 pm

I would make sure you apply at UT-Austin. Its tough to get in from out of state, but your 169 might be valuable to them this cycle.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:38 pm

iMisto wrote:I don't know if you're going to get much $$ with your GPA. I would ED to a T14 school that you meet the LSAT median.

I was referring to money outside T-14, think Rutgers-N, Temple, Fordham, etc.

Think I'd have any shot at Cornell or Michigan ED?
Last edited by Easy-E on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:39 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I would make sure you apply at UT-Austin. Its tough to get in from out of state, but your 169 might be valuable to them this cycle.

I got fee waivers from UT, Vandy, and UCLA which are all outside of where I had hoped to work, but I'll apply to all them anyway. Never know what could change my mind. The idea of trying to break into NYC with my score/GPA is starting to feel impossible.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:43 pm

emarxnj wrote:
iMisto wrote:I don't know if you're going to get much $$ with your GPA. I would ED to a T14 school that you meet the LSAT median.

We don't have all the T14 medians yet, but I'd venture to guess that you meet several medians with that LSAT. Do Cornell EA - though I've heard they don't like splitters. Pick your favorite 169 - maybe Penn, since you're interested in the NYC market. You could always ED NYU, and depending on their decision, ED Penn second round. I definitely think an ED to Mich might work, if you wanna go there.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:45 pm

emarxnj wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote: The idea of trying to break into NYC with my score/GPA is starting to feel impossible.

Guurl, it's definitely not impossible. The T14 will give you access to NYC, and your LSAT is plenty good. Just use the ED option wisely, and make sure your app looks stellar. :)

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:47 pm

iMisto wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

We don't have all the T14 medians yet, but I'd venture to guess that you meet several medians with that LSAT. Do Cornell EA - though I've heard they don't like splitters. Pick your favorite 169 - maybe Penn, since you're interested in the NYC market. You could always ED NYU, and depending on their decision, ED Penn second round. I definitely think an ED to Mich might work, if you wanna go there.

Yes, I've heard the same about Cornell. I feel like NYU would be a waste of an application fee, no? I'm below both medians there. I'm going off the median ranges on the 2012 Rankings page of TLS.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:48 pm

iMisto wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

Michigan gives little to no admission benefit to ED. Dean Z has written about her disdain for the practice. Plus, our ED is summer start only.
Last edited by The Duck on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:48 pm

iMisto wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote: The idea of trying to break into NYC with my score/GPA is starting to feel impossible.

Guurl, it's definitely not impossible. The T14 will give you access to NYC, and your LSAT is plenty good. Just use the ED option wisely, and make sure your app looks stellar. :)

Problem is it doesn't. Couple of C&F issues. :cry:

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:50 pm

The Duck wrote:
iMisto wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

Michigan gives little to no admission benefit to ED. Dean Z has written about her disdain for the practice. Plus, our ED is summer start only.

Good to know at least. Whats the issue with the summer start?

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:52 pm

emarxnj wrote:Good to know at least. Whats the issue with the summer start?

? It's summer start. They start in May, graduate a semester early, and take a few less credits at a single time during 1L. A lot of people aren't prepared to start that early or don't want to go three semesters in a row.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:57 pm

The Duck wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Good to know at least. Whats the issue with the summer start?

? It's summer start. They start in May, graduate a semester early, and take a few less credits at a single time during 1L. A lot of people aren't prepared to start that early or don't want to go three semesters in a row.

Yes I understand what a summer start is, you made it sound like it should be a deal breaker. I was unclear why, seeing as I've never heard of it in a T14 school.

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:18 pm

emarxnj wrote:

I think your best bets in the t14 are Michigan, Georgetown, and Cornell. Maybe apply EA to Cornell and ED to one of Michigan/Georgetown, but I think even with ED it will be a reach. I wouldn't waste an ED on a school where your are below both medians. Outside of the t14, maybe you could look into ED at UCLA/USC/Vandy/Texas, if you'd be ok with paying sticker at any of those.

Otherwise, good options for strong regional schools that give large scholarships would be BU/BC/Illinois and, maybe best of all ($ wise), WUSTL.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Betharl wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

I think your best bets in the t14 are Michigan, Georgetown, and Cornell. Maybe apply EA to Cornell and ED to one of Michigan/Georgetown, but I think even with ED it will be a reach. I wouldn't waste an ED on a school where your are below both medians. Outside of the t14, maybe you could look into ED at UCLA/USC/Vandy/Texas, if you'd be ok with paying sticker at any of those.

Otherwise, good options for strong regional schools that give large scholarships would be BU/BC/Illinois and, maybe best of all ($ wise), WUSTL.

Thanks for the reply. BU and BC are both on my list, got fee waivers from both too. It looks like I'm at Penn's LSAT median but below GPA...waste of an app?

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:31 pm

emarxnj wrote:
Betharl wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

Thanks for the reply. BU and BC are both on my list, got fee waivers from both too. It looks like I'm at Penn's LSAT median but below GPA...waste of an app?

Penn's median was 170. I don't know if it dropped this cycle, I thought they had only released 25th/75ths so far. If it drops, you could consider EDing there, otherwise you might want to use your ED somewhere else.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:02 pm

emar are you retaking OCt?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:24 pm

emarxnj wrote:3.1 169, 2 years WE. Does it make sense to ED anywhere? Seeing as I won't have much luck in the T-14, I'm aiming for minimal debt at a strong regional (though I'll probably apply at a few reaches). Would ED be worth it anywhere?

Michigan, GULC or Cornell. Do Northwestern if you have great WE. You might also consider UVA or Duke if your softs are really good. Other than that, look outside of the T14 (you might get some money for that LSAT score): USC, UCLA, GWU, WUSTL, UIUC, Fordham, W & M, W & L, BU/BC, Wisconsin.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:07 pm

Br3v wrote:emar are you retaking OCt?

No, I had intended to but I ended up getting buried with work in August and just never got organized to study again. I know grabbing a few more points on the LSAT would make a huge difference, but waiting another cycle might not be possible. I've asked around applying early and using the December LSAT to (ideally) get me off waitlists, but I'm not sure at this point.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:11 pm

PDaddy wrote:
emarxnj wrote:3.1 169, 2 years WE. Does it make sense to ED anywhere? Seeing as I won't have much luck in the T-14, I'm aiming for minimal debt at a strong regional (though I'll probably apply at a few reaches). Would ED be worth it anywhere?

Michigan, GULC or Cornell. Do Northwestern if you have great WE. You might also consider UVA or Duke if your softs are really good. Other than that, look outside of the T14 (you might get some money for that LSAT score): USC, UCLA, GWU, WUSTL, UIUC, Fordham, W & M, W & L, BU/BC, Wisconsin.

What would qualify as "great WE"? As far as softs, nothing to speak of really. UCLA, GWU, Fordham, BU/BC are all on my list, I'll look into the others too though, never checked out much on W&L or W&M.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:12 pm

Betharl wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Thanks for the reply. BU and BC are both on my list, got fee waivers from both too. It looks like I'm at Penn's LSAT median but below GPA...waste of an app?

Penn's median was 170. I don't know if it dropped this cycle, I thought they had only released 25th/75ths so far. If it drops, you could consider EDing there, otherwise you might want to use your ED somewhere else.

No, I was just estimating from the 25th/75ths. I'm guessing we don't know the medians from last cycle yet.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:15 pm

Well i mean you still have a 169 without the retake so its not like we are talking about some horrid situation lol.

But dont let a few months (aka 12 of them) stop you from perhaps making an entire different decision in regards to where you take that first real step to start your law career.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”