Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
keg411

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby keg411 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:40 pm

As someone with experience in both A2 and Ithaca, I think it's more of a "midwest vibe" vs. "east coast" vibe than anything else.

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:43 pm

keg411 wrote:As someone with experience in both A2 and Ithaca, I think it's more of a "midwest vibe" vs. "east coast" vibe than anything else.

Good. I am getting sick of the Midwest vibe.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:42 am

Ithaca has Wegmans and Tim Horton's.

/thread

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:43 am

PennBull wrote:Ithaca has Wegmans and Tim Horton's.

/thread

Wegmans FTW

canarykb

Postby canarykb » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:11 pm

Chickensoup wrote:I've lived in Ann Arbor for the past three years. I can't imagine what it has that Ithaca does not. People often complain about the weather in Ithaca. Well, I can assure you that it is freezing in Ann Arbor as well. Bitter cold. Some say Ithaca is in the middle of nowhere. Ann Arbor isn't? I mean, it's close to Detroit...but most people would look at that as a negative rather than a positive. Other than the college sports, Michigan and Cornell seem to have similar towns. Am I missing something?

You're definitely doing Ann Arbor wrong. It has over 3x as many people than Ithaca - if you don't see the difference between Ann Arbor and a small town, it means that you probably aren't taking advantage of all the stuff going on in and around Ann Arbor. Some people are snobby about Detroit, but it seriously has a great music & art scene, and while you don't want to walk around alone there at night, its perfectly safe to go to museums & shows there.

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:22 pm

canarykb wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:I've lived in Ann Arbor for the past three years. I can't imagine what it has that Ithaca does not. People often complain about the weather in Ithaca. Well, I can assure you that it is freezing in Ann Arbor as well. Bitter cold. Some say Ithaca is in the middle of nowhere. Ann Arbor isn't? I mean, it's close to Detroit...but most people would look at that as a negative rather than a positive. Other than the college sports, Michigan and Cornell seem to have similar towns. Am I missing something?

You're definitely doing Ann Arbor wrong. It has over 3x as many people than Ithaca - if you don't see the difference between Ann Arbor and a small town, it means that you probably aren't taking advantage of all the stuff going on in and around Ann Arbor. Some people are snobby about Detroit, but it seriously has a great music & art scene, and while you don't want to walk around alone there at night, its perfectly safe to go to museums & shows there.

If you combine Ithaca City and Ithaca Town, it is half the size of AA. I don't know anyone who does the Detroit thing, and I'm on my fourth year living here. Plus, I'm not really talking about the "arts" scene. I'm talking about how they are both freezing cold towns far from any desirable city.

canarykb

Postby canarykb » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:28 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
canarykb wrote:

If you combine Ithaca City and Ithaca Town, it is half the size of AA. I don't know anyone who does the Detroit thing, and I'm on my fourth year living here. Plus, I'm not really talking about the "arts" scene. I'm talking about how they are both freezing cold towns far from any desirable city.

Hmm. Well I live here and go to detroit with friends all the time. Not unusual at all [That's why I suggested you might just be doing AA wrong]. I don't know what you mean/want out of a desirable city. And if you just were looking for which is colder, try weather.com.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:00 pm

canarykb wrote:Not unusual at all [That's why I suggested you might just be doing AA wrong].

Impossible.

FattyMcFatFat

Postby FattyMcFatFat » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:10 pm

Ithaca is Gorges . . .

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:50 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
canarykb wrote:

Like 1/4 of the student body is from the metro detroit area

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:11 pm

Like 1/4 of the student body is from the metro detroit area.

Being from Detroit suburbs does not = Going to Detroit frequently.

Nice logic skills tho.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:44 pm

Chickensoup wrote:People here aren't so great at reading comprehension. Lawl skool is gonna suck for them.

Chickensoup wrote:Have you ever lived here? Or are you just spouting ignorant nonsense like most TLS-ers?

Chickensoup wrote:Good. I am getting sick of the Midwest vibe.

Chickensoup wrote:Nice logic skills tho.

You sound super awesome. I've decided that you should probably go hang out in Ithaca.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:46 pm

There are better ways to decide between Michigan and Cornell.

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:41 am

HeavenWood wrote:There are better ways to decide between Michigan and Cornell.

What are they? Don't say visit. I already have and got nothing out of it.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:58 am

Chickensoup wrote:

You really do sound like a jerk.. and I'm not saying this to antagonize you, just trying to help you reflect on your growing reputation on TLS.

Jose Reyes

Postby Jose Reyes » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:13 pm

Ann Arbor > Ithaca for sure.

Ithaca's "beauty" is way overrated and the campus was pretty unkept last time I was there. Add the mixture of too much snow, being cold, and having the campus literally in the middle of nowhere pushes it just a little over the top (on the bad end) for me.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:18 pm

Chickensoup wrote:

You can/really should just start and finish with job prospects and scholarship money.

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:35 am

iMisto wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

You really do sound like a jerk.. and I'm not saying this to antagonize you, just trying to help you reflect on your growing reputation on TLS.

Ok. I'll stop. Sorry.

rouser

Postby rouser » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:13 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:People here aren't so great at reading comprehension. Lawl skool is gonna suck for them.

Chickensoup wrote:Have you ever lived here? Or are you just spouting ignorant nonsense like most TLS-ers?

Chickensoup wrote:Good. I am getting sick of the Midwest vibe.

Chickensoup wrote:Nice logic skills tho.

You sound super awesome. I've decided that you should probably go hang out in Ithaca.

not uncommon for 0l's to want to prove themselves on here though. I doubt OP is actually this smug in real life.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”