Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Chickensoup

Bronze

Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Post by Chickensoup » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:45 am

I've lived in Ann Arbor for the past three years. I can't imagine what it has that Ithaca does not. People often complain about the weather in Ithaca. Well, I can assure you that it is freezing in Ann Arbor as well. Bitter cold. Some say Ithaca is in the middle of nowhere. Ann Arbor isn't? I mean, it's close to Detroit...but most people would look at that as a negative rather than a positive. Other than the college sports, Michigan and Cornell seem to have similar towns. Am I missing something?

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Post by WhiteyCakes » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:47 am

The big Ithaca hill that the law school sits on?

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:48 am

Chickensoup wrote:I've lived in Ann Arbor for the past three years. I can't imagine what it has that Ithaca does not. People often complain about the weather in Ithaca. Well, I can assure you that it is freezing in Ann Arbor as well. Bitter cold. Some say Ithaca is in the middle of nowhere. Ann Arbor isn't? I mean, it's close to Detroit...but most people would look at that as a negative rather than a positive. Other than the college sports, Michigan and Cornell seem to have similar towns. Am I missing something?
College gameday atmosphere?

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:52 am

Ann Arbor is not in the middle of nowhere compared to Ithaca. And Anne Arbor is huge compared to Ithaca which is really nothing except Cornell, which is way smaller than u of m. And, really, it is colder there, seriously.

The Duck

Bronze

Post by The Duck » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:57 am

Law Sauce wrote:Ann Arbor is not in the middle of nowhere compared to Ithaca. And Anne Arbor is huge compared to Ithaca which is really nothing except Cornell, which is way smaller than u of m. And, really, it is colder there, seriously.
This. Ithaca is small enough that Cornell actually does its OCI in NYC. Getting there is a pain in the ass and involves expensive flights or flights+long drives. Flights into DTW are cheap and there are easy ways to get to the airport...which is itself pretty close to AA.

And:
Ann Arbor is on average 3 degrees warmer: http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/v ... 2=USNY0717

Ann Arbor has 113K people compared to Ithaca's 30K: http://www.bestplaces.net/city/default. ... op=3638077

Ann Arbor averages 57 inches of snow while Ithaca averages 64: http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/N ... owfall.php

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:07 am

The Duck wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:Ann Arbor is not in the middle of nowhere compared to Ithaca. And Anne Arbor is huge compared to Ithaca which is really nothing except Cornell, which is way smaller than u of m. And, really, it is colder there, seriously.
This. Ithaca is small enough that Cornell actually does its OCI in NYC. Getting there is a pain in the ass and involves expensive flights or flights+long drives. Flights into DTW are cheap and there are easy ways to get to the airport...which is itself pretty close to AA.

And:
Ann Arbor is on average 3 degrees warmer: http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/v ... 2=USNY0717

Ann Arbor has 113K people compared to Ithaca's 30K: http://www.bestplaces.net/city/default. ... op=3638077

Ann Arbor averages 57 inches of snow while Ithaca averages 64: http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/N ... owfall.php
These are facts. Great post.

UtilityMonster

Bronze

Post by UtilityMonster » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:35 am

Ithaca gettin pooped on. :lol:

The Duck

Bronze

Post by The Duck » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:04 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:Ithaca gettin pooped on. :lol:
Don't get me wrong, I like Ithaca. But that doesn't erase the differences between the two places. They are Apples and Oranges.

Nickg415

Bronze

Post by Nickg415 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:23 pm

Hey thinking of going to Cornell. Coming from Utah where we have some of the best skiing. Anyone know, have experience, with skiing near Ithica.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:18 pm

I'd like to hear some of the positive sides of Ithaca... I'm in the Hartford area, and I only hear good things about the town from these CT people. Are they seriously making it all up?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:35 pm

I like Ithaca, but it's not for everyone. If you're used to big cities, you would probably be fine in AA, but you would hate Ithaca.

Chickensoup

Bronze

Post by Chickensoup » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:03 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:I like Ithaca, but it's not for everyone. If you're used to big cities, you would probably be fine in AA, but you would hate Ithaca.
I disagree. AA does not have a big-city atmosphere at all. It is a pure college town. You guys are wrong about the population as well. Ithaca city has a population of 30,000. Ithaca town has a population of 20,000. Together, it's still less than half of Ann Arbor, but not to the point of being ridiculously small.

I personally do not see the proximity to Detroit or the gameday atmosphere as a plus. Sure, the airport thing is nice if you're coming from far away. But being from Long Island, I'd rather drive 4 hours to Ithaca than fly to Detroit. It's a lot easier.

I also question the population. AA has a very strong contingent of Michiganders who have been there for generations. The kids are from MI and go to U of M, the parents and grandparents are the same and tailgate every Saturday. It can be a little provincial.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:35 pm

If you were just looking for validation of your opinion you should have stated so.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:01 pm

Yeah, kind of sounds like you already made up your mind, which is fine. But why make a thread asking for advice then?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:08 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:I like Ithaca, but it's not for everyone. If you're used to big cities, you would probably be fine in AA, but you would hate Ithaca.
I disagree. AA does not have a big-city atmosphere at all. It is a pure college town. You guys are wrong about the population as well. Ithaca city has a population of 30,000. Ithaca town has a population of 20,000. Together, it's still less than half of Ann Arbor, but not to the point of being ridiculously small.

I personally do not see the proximity to Detroit or the gameday atmosphere as a plus. Sure, the airport thing is nice if you're coming from far away. But being from Long Island, I'd rather drive 4 hours to Ithaca than fly to Detroit. It's a lot easier.

I also question the population. AA has a very strong contingent of Michiganders who have been there for generations. The kids are from MI and go to U of M, the parents and grandparents are the same and tailgate every Saturday. It can be a little provincial.
Having access to New York is key for people already from there. If you didn't have ties then AA people could probably say well go to chicago or something. I'm from California and its a haul to Ithaca but I have strong personal ties to the city and because of that would take it over Mich any day.

Chickensoup

Bronze

Post by Chickensoup » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:45 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:If you were just looking for validation of your opinion you should have stated so.
I said, "Am I missing something?" You guys have not pointed to anything that I am missing.

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:31 am

Neither unless free.

Yale or fail.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Chickensoup

Bronze

Post by Chickensoup » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:35 pm

NoJob wrote:Neither unless free.

Yale or fail.
Not trying to decide between the schools. Just comparing the two towns. People here aren't so great at reading comprehension. Lawl skool is gonna suck for them.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:49 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:If you were just looking for validation of your opinion you should have stated so.
I said, "Am I missing something?" You guys have not pointed to anything that I am missing.
Even if you were given that Ann Arbor is a college town (and it's debated, though I actually agree), you seem to assume that all college towns are the same. Not so. I went to a college town for UG where the entire town dies in the summer because the student population is what makes it run. Ann Arbor doesn't die in the summer. College towns are different; Ithaca is potentially different from Ann Arbor.

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Isn't Ithaca more gay-friendly? I thought Cornell mentioned it as being rated one of the best places to live for unicorns.

Chickensoup

Bronze

Post by Chickensoup » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:01 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
Even if you were given that Ann Arbor is a college town (and it's debated, though I actually agree), you seem to assume that all college towns are the same. Not so. I went to a college town for UG where the entire town dies in the summer because the student population is what makes it run. Ann Arbor doesn't die in the summer. College towns are different; Ithaca is potentially different from Ann Arbor.
AA is pretty dead in the summer. Have you ever lived here? Or are you just spouting ignorant nonsense like most TLS-ers?

And to the other person: Ann Arbor has a lot of gays.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:15 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
AA is pretty dead in the summer. Have you ever lived here? Or are you just spouting ignorant nonsense like most TLS-ers?

And to the other person: Ann Arbor has a lot of gays.
Yes, I live here. And I've lived within an hour of AA my entire life.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:18 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
It isnt dead in the summer, but it definitely slows down. Definitely a college town though, at least downtown. Most of the outlying neighborhoods dont really have a "college town" feel (Scio, Pittsfield, etc.)

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Last edited by BuckinghamB on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:12 pm

from what i can tell ithaca doesn't really die in the summer. due to all the waterfalls and hikes a lot of people actually come up here for tourist stuff in the summer. i came once in july like right after the 4th and the commons was crowded on a week night.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”