Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Chickensoup
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby Chickensoup » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:45 am

I've lived in Ann Arbor for the past three years. I can't imagine what it has that Ithaca does not. People often complain about the weather in Ithaca. Well, I can assure you that it is freezing in Ann Arbor as well. Bitter cold. Some say Ithaca is in the middle of nowhere. Ann Arbor isn't? I mean, it's close to Detroit...but most people would look at that as a negative rather than a positive. Other than the college sports, Michigan and Cornell seem to have similar towns. Am I missing something?

User avatar
WhiteyCakes
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby WhiteyCakes » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:47 am

The big Ithaca hill that the law school sits on?

guinness1547
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:13 am

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby guinness1547 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:48 am

Chickensoup wrote:I've lived in Ann Arbor for the past three years. I can't imagine what it has that Ithaca does not. People often complain about the weather in Ithaca. Well, I can assure you that it is freezing in Ann Arbor as well. Bitter cold. Some say Ithaca is in the middle of nowhere. Ann Arbor isn't? I mean, it's close to Detroit...but most people would look at that as a negative rather than a positive. Other than the college sports, Michigan and Cornell seem to have similar towns. Am I missing something?


College gameday atmosphere?

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby Law Sauce » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:52 am

Ann Arbor is not in the middle of nowhere compared to Ithaca. And Anne Arbor is huge compared to Ithaca which is really nothing except Cornell, which is way smaller than u of m. And, really, it is colder there, seriously.

The Duck
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby The Duck » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:57 am

Law Sauce wrote:Ann Arbor is not in the middle of nowhere compared to Ithaca. And Anne Arbor is huge compared to Ithaca which is really nothing except Cornell, which is way smaller than u of m. And, really, it is colder there, seriously.


This. Ithaca is small enough that Cornell actually does its OCI in NYC. Getting there is a pain in the ass and involves expensive flights or flights+long drives. Flights into DTW are cheap and there are easy ways to get to the airport...which is itself pretty close to AA.

And:
Ann Arbor is on average 3 degrees warmer: http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/compare/results?from=vac_compare&clocid1=USMI0028&clocid2=USNY0717

Ann Arbor has 113K people compared to Ithaca's 30K: http://www.bestplaces.net/city/default.aspx?cat=PEOPLE&city=Ann_Arbor_MI&ccity=Ithaca_NY&p=2603000&op=3638077

Ann Arbor averages 57 inches of snow while Ithaca averages 64: http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/New-York/annual-snowfall.php

User avatar
WhiteyCakes
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby WhiteyCakes » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:07 am

The Duck wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:Ann Arbor is not in the middle of nowhere compared to Ithaca. And Anne Arbor is huge compared to Ithaca which is really nothing except Cornell, which is way smaller than u of m. And, really, it is colder there, seriously.


This. Ithaca is small enough that Cornell actually does its OCI in NYC. Getting there is a pain in the ass and involves expensive flights or flights+long drives. Flights into DTW are cheap and there are easy ways to get to the airport...which is itself pretty close to AA.

And:
Ann Arbor is on average 3 degrees warmer: http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/compare/results?from=vac_compare&clocid1=USMI0028&clocid2=USNY0717

Ann Arbor has 113K people compared to Ithaca's 30K: http://www.bestplaces.net/city/default.aspx?cat=PEOPLE&city=Ann_Arbor_MI&ccity=Ithaca_NY&p=2603000&op=3638077

Ann Arbor averages 57 inches of snow while Ithaca averages 64: http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/New-York/annual-snowfall.php


These are facts. Great post.

User avatar
UtilityMonster
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby UtilityMonster » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:35 am

Ithaca gettin pooped on. :lol:

The Duck
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby The Duck » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:04 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:Ithaca gettin pooped on. :lol:


Don't get me wrong, I like Ithaca. But that doesn't erase the differences between the two places. They are Apples and Oranges.

User avatar
Nickg415
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby Nickg415 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:23 pm

Hey thinking of going to Cornell. Coming from Utah where we have some of the best skiing. Anyone know, have experience, with skiing near Ithica.

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby iMisto » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:18 pm

I'd like to hear some of the positive sides of Ithaca... I'm in the Hartford area, and I only hear good things about the town from these CT people. Are they seriously making it all up?

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:35 pm

I like Ithaca, but it's not for everyone. If you're used to big cities, you would probably be fine in AA, but you would hate Ithaca.

User avatar
Chickensoup
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby Chickensoup » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:03 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:I like Ithaca, but it's not for everyone. If you're used to big cities, you would probably be fine in AA, but you would hate Ithaca.


I disagree. AA does not have a big-city atmosphere at all. It is a pure college town. You guys are wrong about the population as well. Ithaca city has a population of 30,000. Ithaca town has a population of 20,000. Together, it's still less than half of Ann Arbor, but not to the point of being ridiculously small.

I personally do not see the proximity to Detroit or the gameday atmosphere as a plus. Sure, the airport thing is nice if you're coming from far away. But being from Long Island, I'd rather drive 4 hours to Ithaca than fly to Detroit. It's a lot easier.

I also question the population. AA has a very strong contingent of Michiganders who have been there for generations. The kids are from MI and go to U of M, the parents and grandparents are the same and tailgate every Saturday. It can be a little provincial.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7169
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:35 pm

If you were just looking for validation of your opinion you should have stated so.

User avatar
BuckinghamB
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby BuckinghamB » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:01 pm

Yeah, kind of sounds like you already made up your mind, which is fine. But why make a thread asking for advice then?

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby FlanAl » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:08 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:I like Ithaca, but it's not for everyone. If you're used to big cities, you would probably be fine in AA, but you would hate Ithaca.


I disagree. AA does not have a big-city atmosphere at all. It is a pure college town. You guys are wrong about the population as well. Ithaca city has a population of 30,000. Ithaca town has a population of 20,000. Together, it's still less than half of Ann Arbor, but not to the point of being ridiculously small.

I personally do not see the proximity to Detroit or the gameday atmosphere as a plus. Sure, the airport thing is nice if you're coming from far away. But being from Long Island, I'd rather drive 4 hours to Ithaca than fly to Detroit. It's a lot easier.

I also question the population. AA has a very strong contingent of Michiganders who have been there for generations. The kids are from MI and go to U of M, the parents and grandparents are the same and tailgate every Saturday. It can be a little provincial.


Having access to New York is key for people already from there. If you didn't have ties then AA people could probably say well go to chicago or something. I'm from California and its a haul to Ithaca but I have strong personal ties to the city and because of that would take it over Mich any day.

User avatar
Chickensoup
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby Chickensoup » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:45 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:If you were just looking for validation of your opinion you should have stated so.


I said, "Am I missing something?" You guys have not pointed to anything that I am missing.

NoJob
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby NoJob » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:31 am

Neither unless free.

Yale or fail.

User avatar
Chickensoup
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby Chickensoup » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:35 pm

NoJob wrote:Neither unless free.

Yale or fail.


Not trying to decide between the schools. Just comparing the two towns. People here aren't so great at reading comprehension. Lawl skool is gonna suck for them.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7169
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:49 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:If you were just looking for validation of your opinion you should have stated so.


I said, "Am I missing something?" You guys have not pointed to anything that I am missing.


Even if you were given that Ann Arbor is a college town (and it's debated, though I actually agree), you seem to assume that all college towns are the same. Not so. I went to a college town for UG where the entire town dies in the summer because the student population is what makes it run. Ann Arbor doesn't die in the summer. College towns are different; Ithaca is potentially different from Ann Arbor.

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby iMisto » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Isn't Ithaca more gay-friendly? I thought Cornell mentioned it as being rated one of the best places to live for unicorns.

User avatar
Chickensoup
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby Chickensoup » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:01 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:If you were just looking for validation of your opinion you should have stated so.


I said, "Am I missing something?" You guys have not pointed to anything that I am missing.


Even if you were given that Ann Arbor is a college town (and it's debated, though I actually agree), you seem to assume that all college towns are the same. Not so. I went to a college town for UG where the entire town dies in the summer because the student population is what makes it run. Ann Arbor doesn't die in the summer. College towns are different; Ithaca is potentially different from Ann Arbor.


AA is pretty dead in the summer. Have you ever lived here? Or are you just spouting ignorant nonsense like most TLS-ers?

And to the other person: Ann Arbor has a lot of gays.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7169
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:15 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:If you were just looking for validation of your opinion you should have stated so.


I said, "Am I missing something?" You guys have not pointed to anything that I am missing.


Even if you were given that Ann Arbor is a college town (and it's debated, though I actually agree), you seem to assume that all college towns are the same. Not so. I went to a college town for UG where the entire town dies in the summer because the student population is what makes it run. Ann Arbor doesn't die in the summer. College towns are different; Ithaca is potentially different from Ann Arbor.


AA is pretty dead in the summer. Have you ever lived here? Or are you just spouting ignorant nonsense like most TLS-ers?

And to the other person: Ann Arbor has a lot of gays.


Yes, I live here. And I've lived within an hour of AA my entire life.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby dr123 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:18 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:If you were just looking for validation of your opinion you should have stated so.


I said, "Am I missing something?" You guys have not pointed to anything that I am missing.


Even if you were given that Ann Arbor is a college town (and it's debated, though I actually agree), you seem to assume that all college towns are the same. Not so. I went to a college town for UG where the entire town dies in the summer because the student population is what makes it run. Ann Arbor doesn't die in the summer. College towns are different; Ithaca is potentially different from Ann Arbor.


It isnt dead in the summer, but it definitely slows down. Definitely a college town though, at least downtown. Most of the outlying neighborhoods dont really have a "college town" feel (Scio, Pittsfield, etc.)

User avatar
BuckinghamB
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby BuckinghamB » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:10 pm

.
Last edited by BuckinghamB on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Ann Arbor vs. Ithaca

Postby FlanAl » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:12 pm

from what i can tell ithaca doesn't really die in the summer. due to all the waterfalls and hikes a lot of people actually come up here for tourist stuff in the summer. i came once in july like right after the 4th and the commons was crowded on a week night.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: no exit and 2 guests