. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tigyrgrl

New

Post by tigyrgrl » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:13 pm

Last edited by tigyrgrl on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Illinois/Iowa/Missouri law school opinions

Post by romothesavior » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:34 pm

tigyrgrl wrote:I am originally from Illinois however I have been a resident of NC for five years. I had been intending to go to law school here in NC, however it appears I may be moving back to the Midwest for my spouse's graduate program. The law schools in downstate Illinois, I knew something about it years ago. I am looking for more current opinions and information on the schools in Missouri, Iowa, Illinois. Thanks.
Where is your spouse going ti be studying? Have you taken the LSAT?

tigyrgrl

New

Post by tigyrgrl » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:25 pm

Last edited by tigyrgrl on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:33 pm

tigyrgrl wrote:He is looking at Saint Louis University, University of Iowa, or Southern Illinois University.

No current LSAT score available , however scheduled to take in December. Pre-testing around 174.

I ultimately don't mind living separate from him as we did it throughout our marriage so far. He would rather me at least entertain the idea of selling the house and moving to be in at least the same time zone. Also, I have family ties to both the Northwestern and UIUC area.

I had been looking at UNC and Duke prior to his mentioning of moving.
What is your GPA?
What are your career goals?
Do you plan on staying in the region?

If you are unsure or you are thinking you want to leave the area, then I'd say SLU and SIU are almost certainly out. You need to try and pick a school that will offer at least some geographic flexibility. Those are both very regional schools that focus on local niche markets.

Right now, focus on the LSAT. It would have been better if you'd taken the LSAT in June or in October rather than December, but it is what it is. If you score in the 170s, then you will have to have a discussion with your husband about how much debt is appropriate. Depending on your GPA, a 170s score might make you competitive for Chicago or Northwestern. You'd also be competitive for big scholarships at the T25 Midwestern schools (WUSTL, UIUC, Iowa, etc.)

I go to WUSTL, and know a decent amount about the culture and campus at UIUC. I'm also fairly familiar with the markets and the firms in the MW region. I'm not really sure what kind of information you are looking for and it is hard to say more without information about your own goals and background, but if you have any specific questions, fire away.

Zensack

Bronze

Post by Zensack » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:38 pm

tigyrgrl wrote:He is looking at Saint Louis University, University of Iowa, or Southern Illinois University.
All three of those schools have law programs, though I recommend applying for WUSTL if you're going to be living in or near St Louis.

Can you make any firm plans, or are you going to wait and enroll only at schools that are near his?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:07 pm

So where exactly would your spouse be going to grad school? Sorry this seems important. Are you going to live with him/her? Maybe they are currently in the process of applying as well.. Must have missed that.

I recommend living with your spouse.

--Internet person

sepeterson211

New

Post by sepeterson211 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:06 am

I wouldn't go to law school in Missouri unless you can get into Wash U Law. There are four law schools in Missouri so the job prospects are worse than the surrounding states.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”