What should I do? 3.7 169

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Chickensoup

What should I do? 3.7 169

Postby Chickensoup » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:47 pm

My numbers are 3.7, 169. Coming straight from the University of MIchigan with a major in Political Science. I am a white male. I want to practice in NY. T14 would be ideal. Which schools should I apply to? These are my guesses for the T14:

HYS - No.
CCN- ED'ing to NYU. Could it work?
MVP - I imagine Michigan will work since I am an alum at both medians. Penn I am not sure. Virginia I am not interested.
DCG - I am hoping I get into all three of these. Not so sure about Duke though.
Northwestern & Berkeley - I am not applying b/c of distance and work experience requirement.

With the down cycle and the fact that I am applying super early (should be done by October 1), what do you think of my chances/predictions? Am I being reasonable? Do you guys have any suggestions for what I should do? Money is important, but job prospects are even more important.

mr.hands

Re: What should I do? 3.7 169

Postby mr.hands » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:45 pm

Chickensoup wrote:My numbers are 3.7, 169. Coming straight from the University of MIchigan with a major in Political Science. I am a white male. I want to practice in NY. T14 would be ideal. Which schools should I apply to? These are my guesses for the T14:

HYS - No.
MVP - I imagine Michigan will work since I am an alum at both medians. Penn I am not sure. Virginia I am not interested.
Northwestern & Berkeley - I am not applying b/c of distance and work experience requirement.

With the down cycle and the fact that I am applying super early (should be done by October 1), what do you think of my chances/predictions? Am I being reasonable? Do you guys have any suggestions for what I should do? Money is important, but job prospects are even more important.

HYS - No.

No.

No, it can't

Michigan should work. Penn and UVA are out.

Should be in at both Cornell and GULC. Shot at Duke if their median dropped to 169. If not, you'll be waitlisted for sure.

Northwestern & Berkeley - I am not applying b/c of distance and work experience...

Nope.

In short, Michigan, Cornell, Georgetown are likely. Duke might be in play, depending on their medians for last year's class

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:55 pm

Only school you can probably count on in the T-14 is Cornell. I wouldn't count on Michigan. I would retake.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Alright, maybe you can't "count" on any of them... but I think these people are being overly pessimistic.... I think if the rest of your app is solid, you have a decent shot at the T14. I'd ED to NYU or Penn. Perhaps, NYU, then Penn round 2 if you get a no from NYU.

Good luck!

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:15 pm

iMisto wrote:Alright, maybe you can't "count" on any of them... but I think these people are being overly pessimistic.... I think if the rest of your app is solid, you have a decent shot at the T14. I'd ED to NYU or Penn. Perhaps, NYU, then Penn round 2 if you get a no from NYU.

Good luck!

He's a white male K-JD below both medians at both schools. Neither of those is happening, with or without ED.

Postby 02889 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:32 pm

People are being overly pessimistic, in my opinion. Given that it's a small sample size, LSN results are interesting. There were 5 applicants to NYU with a 169 and 3.7ish. The three that had 3.72 and 3.75 were WL'd. The two that had 3.68 and 3.7 were rejected (though, important to note, the 3.7 applied in late-Jan). I think if you're close to or above 3.7 and not doing major rounding, you have a shot at a spot on the waitlist.

I'll also point out that the differences between 169, 170, and 171 are enormous. If you look at LSN, applicants to NYU with a 3.7 GPA and a 169 are nearly all rejected or waitlisted, with a 170 are all waitlisted, and with a 171 are all accepted. The differences between these scores are just a couple more correct answers. And based on how the curve has worked in the past, if you retake, it's possible you could do exactly the same in terms of questions correct, but could get a 170. If it's possible for you to retake the LSAT in December, you should go for it. If not, then you do have a shot at the waitlist. Your results might not be as dark and gloomy as other posters have predicted.

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:39 pm

02889 wrote:People are being overly pessimistic, in my opinion. Given that it's a small sample size, LSN results are interesting. There were 5 applicants to NYU with a 169 and 3.7ish. The three that had 3.72 and 3.75 were WL'd. The two that had 3.68 and 3.7 were rejected (though, important to note, the 3.7 applied in late-Jan). I think if you're close to or above 3.7 and not doing major rounding, you have a shot at a spot on the waitlist.

I'll also point out that the differences between 169, 170, and 171 are enormous. If you look at LSN, applicants to NYU with a 3.7 GPA and a 169 are nearly all rejected or waitlisted, with a 170 are all waitlisted, and with a 171 are all accepted. The differences between these scores are just a couple more correct answers. And based on how the curve has worked in the past, if you retake, it's possible you could do exactly the same in terms of questions correct, but could get a 170. If it's possible for you to retake the LSAT in December, you should go for it. If not, then you do have a shot at the waitlist. Your results might not be as dark and gloomy as other posters have predicted.

Not terribly worried about getting rejected/waitlisted by NYU. Kinda figure that will happen. I'm more interested in the borderline schools like Duke, GULC, and possibly Penn. I figure Cornell should be a yes. If it is my only yes in the T14, I would go there. If it Duke and GULC are both yes, then things become much more interesting.

googlesearch

Postby googlesearch » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:12 pm

I think this is being too pessimistic. Berkeley you're at 56%, Penn 49%, and Michigan 53%.

Write a "Why Penn" essay if you won't ED.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:15 pm

googlesearch wrote:I think this is being too pessimistic. Berkeley you're at 56%, Penn 49%, and Michigan 53%.

You really think someone below both medians has a 50/50 shot at Penn? C'mon.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:29 pm

googlesearch wrote:I think this is being too pessimistic. Berkeley you're at 56%, Penn 49%, and Michigan 53%.

PSA: lawschoolpredictor is worthless.

googlesearch

Postby googlesearch » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:40 pm

Ti Malice wrote:

I mean, idk. Just missing LSAT median, who knows with this downward trend, anyway.

GPA's pretty low... But someone's gotta pay sticker.. Lol

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:02 pm

googlesearch wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:

I mean, idk. Just missing LSAT median, who knows with this downward trend, anyway.

I should revise the claim a bit. If Penn's median has fallen to 169, or if it drops to 169 next cycle, OP has a chance. If he's a white male K-JD below both medians, however, his chances are effectively zero.

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:05 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
googlesearch wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:

I should revise the claim a bit. If Penn's median has fallen to 169, or if it drops to 169 next cycle, OP has a chance. If he's a white male K-JD below both medians, however, his chances are effectively zero.

Yeah, I don't really plan on going to Penn, so this argument is weird, since I'm not even a part of it. What about Duke/Cornell/G'town? In? Chance at money?

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:44 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
googlesearch wrote:

Yeah, I don't really plan on going to Penn, so this argument is weird, since I'm not even a part of it. What about Duke/Cornell/G'town? In? Chance at money?

Yeah good chance at money at Cornell. GULC is pretty stingy. Look at LSN

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:12 pm

We're almost numbers twins. You're in at some lower T14s, possibly with some $$. You'll get into Mich because you're alum. You can ED at NYU or Penn but it's a longshot for either.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:56 pm

You should be fine. Apply to the T5-14. Then pick up BC, BU and Fordham. Finally, pick up a safety school if you want to see how much you can get more in scholarships.

This will put you in a decent position to go NYC Biglaw. Just try to keep your costs down regardless of the school you got to just in case.

The NLJ Biglaw placement stats are pretty good for all of these schools.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Why not retake in December? One point could bump you above median at a lot of t14s.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:45 pm

TCR is retake. All you need is one more point. You are almost def. out at nyu, penn regardless of applicant decline. This isnt pessimism... this is the reality of admissions. Michigan gulc and cornell are possible.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:27 pm

Retake. If not, it looks like Michigan, Georgetown, and Cornell will be your choices.
http://myLSN.info/t4a9eo

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:04 am

Doorkeeper wrote:Retake. If not, it looks like Michigan, Georgetown, and Cornell will be your choices.
http://myLSN.info/t4a9eo

Not too reliable considering the dramatic decline in apps. What was once WL at Duke could now certainly be in. I doubt Penn will happen, but I wouldn't say it's impossible either.

I'm hoping for $60K at Cornell. Problem is--I didn't write a diversity statement and left out some minor things on the electronic edition my app (major, job titles, extracurricular clubs, etc.). All of this was included in my resume, but I am still a little pissed about it.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:06 am

Northwestern has relaxed the WE requirement somewhat, if that makes any difference. Chicago is pretty sweet. Might be worth an app.

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:34 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Northwestern has relaxed the WE requirement somewhat, if that makes any difference. Chicago is pretty sweet. Might be worth an app.

How's the NY placement? That's the only place I want to be.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:41 am

Chickensoup wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Northwestern has relaxed the WE requirement somewhat, if that makes any difference. Chicago is pretty sweet. Might be worth an app.

More people want to stay in Chicago, but NY is the next most popular market. Something like 1/4 of the class ends up there.

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:53 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

More people want to stay in Chicago, but NY is the next most popular market. Something like 1/4 of the class ends up there.

Not for me, then. I want to go to a law school where NY is really the only thing considered.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:56 am

Chickensoup wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

Not for me, then. I want to go to a law school where NY is really the only thing considered.

That would rule out most of the schools on your list, sport. (it only leaves NYU, Columbia and Cornell.) Don't be close-minded. It's easier to get NY than Chicago from Northwestern. NU students self-select out of NY. You'd have to pay me a lot more than $160k to live there, for one.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”