Not Sure Which Type Of Law... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ItsElectrifying

New

Not Sure Which Type Of Law...

Post by ItsElectrifying » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:37 pm

So I'm a student who is going to be applying for law school very very soon, I've started some applications but I'm a little bit unsure about what type of Law i want to practice, or at least go into. I know that all that really matters first year is getting a good foundation, but I'm curious if there is a field out there for me that meets what I'd like to do. I tried to list below the things I want to do and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

I'm looking for
  • 1: A Job that functions in international organizations or at least in firms or groups that deal with international issues.
    2: I'd love, but not required for something that has to do with policy or possibly something that involves long term improvement or setting things in place that will affect a large group of people overtime.
    3: Travel would be a huge bonus also, and something that allows me to see the world.
    4: Something that involves a good amount of communicating with people and making connections
    5: Ideally I'd like something that would be financially secure. I'm not expecting to be making 6 figures right out of law school, but some type of JD focus that promotes growth, progression and can pay the bills well enough to live a good life style (i'm willing to work for this)
    6: Optional: something that deals with health based international issues
i don't know if it matters but my stats are
  • Psychology Major
    GPA 3.9
    LSAC 3.77
    LSAT (first time) 171 (second time) 173
    URM
So if you could give some suggestions that would be awesome. It doesn't have to fit all the criteria, and it might be impossible to find the type of law I'm looking for, I'm open to open questions and also suggestions. I have a biopsychology certificate which just means I took classes and did research that combines science and psychology together.

Thank you for any suggestions you might be able to give.

TheThriller

Gold

Re: Not Sure Which Type Of Law...

Post by TheThriller » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:40 pm

You're in the "Choosing a Law School" forum, are you asking about what schools you would like to apply to?

If so, try applying to the T14 and a few others in the T20s if you want some mad $$$

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:42 pm

ItsElectrifying wrote:So I'm a student who is going to be applying for law school very very soon, I've started some applications but I'm a little bit unsure about what type of Law i want to practice, or at least go into. I know that all that really matters first year is getting a good foundation, but I'm curious if there is a field out there for me that meets what I'd like to do. I tried to list below the things I want to do and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

I'm looking for
  • 1: A Job that functions in international organizations or at least in firms or groups that deal with international issues.
    2: I'd love, but not required for something that has to do with policy or possibly something that involves long term improvement or setting things in place that will affect a large group of people overtime.
    3: Travel would be a huge bonus also, and something that allows me to see the world.
    4: Something that involves a good amount of communicating with people and making connections
    5: Ideally I'd like something that would be financially secure. I'm not expecting to be making 6 figures right out of law school, but some type of JD focus that promotes growth, progression and can pay the bills well enough to live a good life style (i'm willing to work for this)
    6: Optional: something that deals with health based international issues
i don't know if it matters but my stats are
  • Psychology Major
    GPA 3.9
    LSAC 3.77
So if you could give some suggestions that would be awesome. It doesn't have to fit all the criteria, and it might be impossible to find the type of law I'm looking for, I'm open to open questions and also suggestions. I have a biopsychology certificate which just means I took classes and did research that combines science and psychology together.

Thank you for any suggestions you might be able to give.
I'm a 0L, so take this for what it's worth, but here's my advice:
1) You have a lot of time in LS to figure out what interests you. Don't kill yourself trying to chart a path for yourself before you know anything. And definitely don't let stuff like this factor heavily into which school you go to.

2) "International Law" basically isn't a real thing.

ItsElectrifying

New

Post by ItsElectrifying » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:42 pm

Thanks! I'll edit it. I thought it was implied but i was looking for help with what type of law focus I should pursue along with schools that offer it!

EDIT: Well that's helpful! Thanks, I thought there was some focus or something on international law, guess I was mistaken

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:44 pm

You'll figure that out in Law School, whats the rational of deciding before you've studied any kind of law what law you want to practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:47 pm

What type of URM?

I would suggest you wait until you get to law school to garner a better idea of what is out there and what most appeals to you.

I disagree with the above poster that there is no such thing as international law. It does exist, though at governmental level. It's far more popular a route oversease, particularly in the UK. However, languages are very important if one decides to take this route.

Depending on the type of URM you are, I suggest you stick with Harvard, Yale or Stanford. Each of their national and international reputations will vastly help landing career opportunities outside the US of A.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:48 pm

ItsElectrifying wrote:Thanks! I'll edit it. I thought it was implied but i was looking for help with what type of law focus I should pursue along with schools that offer it!

EDIT: Well that's helpful! Thanks, I thought there was some focus or something on international law, guess I was mistaken
You are not mistaken. There is such a thing as international law. It's just not as popular here in the USA. Opportunities abound in the UK and EU, amongst other countries.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:52 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
ItsElectrifying wrote:Thanks! I'll edit it. I thought it was implied but i was looking for help with what type of law focus I should pursue along with schools that offer it!

You are not mistaken. There is such a thing as international law. It's just not as popular here in the USA. Opportunities abound in the UK and EU, amongst other countries.
http://www.annaivey.com/iveyfiles/2008/ ... e_the_hype
No law student should expect ex ante to have a career in int'l law, given how small the field actually is. But it's no wonder, as Anna suggests, that kids still buy into the myth--because schools like hls, nyu, and columbia (along with many lesser ones) have bloated int'l law programs that perpetuate and use this myth to sell themselves. Programmatic emphasis or deemphasis is a critical way in which to educate (or mislead) students. This naive consumer interest is what justifies having a figleaf of int'l offerings. It's important for the school to be able to say it has *some* offerings in these areas. At the same time, students will in fact be better served if only a small amount of resources are expended in those directions.

ItsElectrifying

New

Post by ItsElectrifying » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:57 pm

BlaqBella wrote:What type of URM?

I would suggest you wait until you get to law school to garner a better idea of what is out there and what most appeals to you.

I disagree with the above poster that there is no such thing as international law. It does exist, though at governmental level. It's far more popular a route oversease, particularly in the UK. However, languages are very important if one decides to take this route.

Depending on the type of URM you are, I suggest you stick with Harvard, Yale or Stanford. Each of their national and international reputations will vastly help landing career opportunities outside the US of A.
Thanks!

As for what type of URM I'm African American Male.

Hm..so i should just focus on getting into a good school and exploring the avenues of law to see what I excel in and like? Is that the general thought?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Swimp wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

http://www.annaivey.com/iveyfiles/2008/ ... e_the_hype
No law student should expect ex ante to have a career in int'l law, given how small the field actually is. But it's no wonder, as Anna suggests, that kids still buy into the myth--because schools like hls, nyu, and columbia (along with many lesser ones) have bloated int'l law programs that perpetuate and use this myth to sell themselves. Programmatic emphasis or deemphasis is a critical way in which to educate (or mislead) students. This naive consumer interest is what justifies having a figleaf of int'l offerings. It's important for the school to be able to say it has *some* offerings in these areas. At the same time, students will in fact be better served if only a small amount of resources are expended in those directions.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anne Ivey - admission guru - is now the expert on what does and does not exist?

As someone with international experience who has seen what I speak of first-hand, I think I'm in a better position to say what does and does not exist out in the real world.

OP, feel free to PM me if you wish for elaboration.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:01 pm

GPA 3.9
LSAC 3.77
AA URM
Enjoy Yale, Harvard or Stanford

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:01 pm

ItsElectrifying wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:What type of URM?

Thanks!

As for what type of URM I'm African American Male.

Hm..so i should just focus on getting into a good school and exploring the avenues of law to see what I excel in and like? Is that the general thought?
AA male? :shock: Your cycle is going to be golden!

Yes and yes to your questions. With your numbers and career goals, I highly suggest you stick to applying to the top three law schools.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:03 pm

BlaqBella wrote:Anne Ivey - admission guru - is now the expert on what does and does not exist?

As someone with international experience who has seen what I speak of first-hand, I think I'm in a better position to say what does and does not exist out in the real world.

It's not that it doesn't exist, it's just that outside of like, HYS, those opportunities don't really exist.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SuperCerealBrah

Bronze

Post by SuperCerealBrah » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:05 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:Anne Ivey - admission guru - is now the expert on what does and does not exist?

It's not that it doesn't exist, it's just that outside of like, HYS, those opportunities don't really exist.
It looks like OP has a very nice shot at HYS though.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:05 pm

tfleming09 wrote:

I think we are on the same page.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:05 pm

BlaqBella wrote: Anne Ivey - admission guru - is now the expert on what does and does not exist?

The part I quoted was a practicing lawyer, not Anna (who, incidentally is the ex-Dean of Admissions at U Chicago and a former lawyer, not just an "admissions guru"). There are plenty of other quotes from attorneys and law students included. I think it's pretty likely that they're all better qualified than you are to comment on this topic, but hey, what do I know?

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:08 pm

Swimp wrote:
BlaqBella wrote: Anne Ivey - admission guru - is now the expert on what does and does not exist?

The part I quoted was a practicing lawyer, not Anna (who, incidentally is the ex-Dean of Admissions at U Chicago and a former lawyer, not just an "admissions guru"). There are plenty of other quotes from attorneys and law students included. I think it's pretty likely that they're all better qualified than you are to comment on this topic, but hey, what do I know?
Like I said OP, take this with a grain of salt. Most attorneys in the US of A think the world of law is limited to our borders. It is not, especially on an international scale.

Moving along...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SuperCerealBrah

Bronze

Post by SuperCerealBrah » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:10 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
Swimp wrote:

Like I said OP, take this with a grain of salt. Most attorneys in the US of A think the world of law is limited to our borders. It is not, especially on an international scale.

Moving along...
Are you a practicing lawyer?

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:13 pm

SuperCerealBrah wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
Swimp wrote:

Moving along...
Are you a practicing lawyer?
Does one have to be to know what does and does not exist on the international scale for attorneys with JDs?

I have been on the other side and back and like I have reiterated time and again, there is such a thing as international law. Case closed.

OP, I hope you have a wonderfully successful application cycle! I will PM you shortly.

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:41 pm

BlaqBella wrote:Does one have to be to know what does and does not exist on the international scale for attorneys with JDs?

I have been on the other side and back and like I have reiterated time and again, there is such a thing as international law. Case closed.

OP, I hope you have a wonderfully successful application cycle! I will PM you shortly.
You do this thing in almost all your posts where you make a poorly founded, contrarian declaration and then, in the same breath, urge everybody reading to "move along," declare the "case closed," or say "anyways..." as if the posters calling you out are wasting everybody's time. Posts like that indicate that you have very little idea what you're talking about, even if you actually don't. FYI.

OP, enjoy HYS.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:14 am

There is such a thing as international law for:

1) People who can get jobs with a Magic Circle firm or a firm like White and Case, where they work on US law as applied to foreign businesses and transactions, so generally the T14.

2) People who have language fluency and can get hired by a US or sometimes UK firm in Asia or Europe (I've also seen Brazil job openings), generally also from the T14.

3) People from HYS who can jobs with the few government agencies or NGOs who do international work.

So yes, international law exists. But it's a possibility for so few law students in proportion to the number of law schools with international law programs that it might as well just not exist for purposes of any reasonable discussion. However, OP happens to have the numbers to go to a school where his chances will be much greater than the average.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:00 pm

TWIST: the most attainable type of international law is doc review work for people who speak Mandarin.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:35 pm

I hear birdlaw is a booming area of practice

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:47 pm

TheThriller wrote:You're in the "Choosing a Law School" forum, are you asking about what schools you would like to apply to?

If so, try applying to the T14 and a few others in the T20s if you want some mad $$$
OP, just in case it wasn't clear from the rest of the thread, you won't need to apply lower than CCN for full-ride scholarship opportunities. Don't waste your time with anything in the lower T14, much less anything outside of the T14.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:44 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
TheThriller wrote:You're in the "Choosing a Law School" forum, are you asking about what schools you would like to apply to?

OP, just in case it wasn't clear from the rest of the thread, you won't need to apply lower than CCN for full-ride scholarship opportunities. Don't waste your time with anything in the lower T14, much less anything outside of the T14.
advice was given before OP revealed URM status

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”