Northwestern AJD program

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
RickyDnwhyc

Northwestern AJD program

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:02 pm

I can't find any *recent* threads about this.

Pardon my naivety, but I want to do this program because 2 years is faster than 3 years. Plain and simple.

However, my goal is BigLaw.

I think TCR used to be that 3 years > 2 years for OCI... is this still the case?

Any and all well-formulated thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you.

bk1

Re: Northwestern AJD program

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:17 pm

It's more like 2.5 years since you start in summer.

It's hard to get a handle of how well the AJDs do. I know a few and they seem to do well but they also generally have impressive work experience which makes them predisposed to do well.

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:25 pm

bk1 wrote:It's more like 2.5 years since you start in summer.

It's hard to get a handle of how well the AJDs do. I know a few and they seem to do well but they also generally have impressive work experience which makes them predisposed to do well.

If I read correctly, they do OCI in Fall with only one semester of grades to show... I would assume makes them a greater liability compared to the 3 year students, but maybe firms aren't making such a big deal about it now since the program has been around for a while?

If it's going to lower my shot at working at a top firm I won't bother with it... but if my chances are basically the same, why not finish earlier?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:32 pm

I think it is objectively worse since you won't have a 1L summer legal job to have as a talking point. I'm also not sure if AJDs get journal results before OCI. I think the real question is how much worse is it? If it's only a bit is it worth it to you?

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:38 pm

Yes, I am relentlessly impatient.

But it surely sounds like more than a "bit"... No 1L job, only 1 semester worth of grades for Fall OCI, and the program surely still has some remaining stigma since it's only been around a couple of years.

It's difficult to quantify any of this...

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:54 am

There are many good reasons for wanting to do AJD, but impatience is not among them.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:58 pm

tagging.

I agree that there is very little information out there about the program. I plan to apply for some of the same reasons (older non-trad student, a lot of WE, good recs and a good resume). Part of the apeal for me is that it appears (from the info on the NU AJD website) that they get very few applicants. had 100 apps last year and they accepted 38 of them. The #s of applicants also appear to be a bit lower than the reg NU #s, which for me is a good thing (though I am retaking in Oct so we'll see). From the looks of it, it's a less competitive prog than the 3yr one. I am sure for some here it really doesn't matter. For others it can be make a big difference. In addition, as an older student I think the two vs. three years is a big deal. Although you pay the same, you save on a whole when talking about COL, which can rank up many $s.

Overall, I think it's a good way to get your foot in the door at a very good school and finish school a year early. I am sure there are several things that are better in the 3yr prog, but when I am looking the pro/con I see more things in the pro side.

OP: what are you stats? do you have the WE for the prog? the demographic is also a big different (older students, more WE than the avg NU student etc.) so that could be a key factor that is a pro for me but may be a con for you. I do agree that more information is needed about the prog in general though.

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:04 pm

Lear22 wrote:tagging.

I agree that there is very little information out there about the program. I plan to apply for some of the same reasons (older non-trad student, a lot of WE, good recs and a good resume). Part of the apeal for me is that it appears (from the info on the NU AJD website) that they get very few applicants. had 100 apps last year and they accepted 38 of them. The #s of applicants also appear to be a bit lower than the reg NU #s, which for me is a good thing (though I am retaking in Oct so we'll see). From the looks of it, it's a less competitive prog than the 3yr one. I am sure for some here it really doesn't matter. For others it can be make a big difference. In addition, as an older student I think the two vs. three years is a big deal. Although you pay the same, you save on a whole when talking about COL, which can rank up many $s.

Overall, I think it's a good way to get your foot in the door at a very good school and finish school a year early. I am sure there are several things that are better in the 3yr prog, but when I am looking the pro/con I see more things in the pro side.

OP: what are you stats? do you have the WE for the prog? the demographic is also a big different (older students, more WE than the avg NU student etc.) so that could be a key factor that is a pro for me but may be a con for you. I do agree that more information is needed about the prog in general though.

3.2 GPA, Haven't taken the LSAT but my PTs indicate 170-175 is within reach.

As far as WE goes... nothing substantial, about a year and a half at a large PI firm as a paralegal.

samIam777

Postby samIam777 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:14 pm

Last year, 19 out of the 22 who did OCI got firm jobs. Two of the other three worked for the SEC. Have no idea what the other guy did. Also have no idea about this year's class.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:23 pm

samIam777 wrote:Last year, 19 out of the 22 who did OCI got firm jobs. Two of the other three worked for the SEC. Have no idea what the other guy did. Also have no idea about this year's class.

Thanks man.
Are you you in the AJD prog now?

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:18 am

I imagine the AJD program can be a real disadvantage if you do not have the work experience of your classmates. A year and a half as a paralegal sounds really underwhelming in comparison to the work of people I know in the program.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:20 am

samIam777 wrote:Last year, 19 out of the 22 who did OCI got firm jobs. Two of the other three worked for the SEC. Have no idea what the other guy did. Also have no idea about this year's class.

Incredible stats. I was reading before coming to NU about the "stigma" of this program, but it seems firms love the work experience that AJDs offer.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:23 pm

I already interviewed on campus at NU, but indicated I'd be applying under the traditional 3-yr program. Anyone have any insight as to if it would be acceptable to simply change my application to the AJD program? Perhaps just call the admissions office and notify them of the change? Just thinking they may have an issue with it if they conduct interviews with potential AJDs differently than traditionals.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:35 pm

HawgDriver wrote:I already interviewed on campus at NU, but indicated I'd be applying under the traditional 3-yr program. Anyone have any insight as to if it would be acceptable to simply change my application to the AJD program? Perhaps just call the admissions office and notify them of the change? Just thinking they may have an issue with it if they conduct interviews with potential AJDs differently than traditionals.

Did you already send in your application? If not i don't think you should worry yourself with it

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:52 pm

I am an AJD applicant, I did the interview on campus - based on prior interview threads, questions are exactly the same. There were no curve balls.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:04 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:I am an AJD applicant, I did the interview on campus - based on prior interview threads, questions are exactly the same. There were no curve balls.

Well in my case I was the one who geared her towards the AJD when I said its my main reason for looking at NU as a favorite and the school I'm most interest about, which led to the obvious questions of why AJD, specific questions about my work/military experience and how I would fit into the class profile. I have no idea if those would have been asked regardless, but I'm happy I was able to bring them across as I think I'm a good AJD candidate and also believe its my only chance to gain a NU acceptance so I wanted it to be an AJD focused interview as much as I could.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:16 am

Lear22 wrote:Did you already send in your application? If not i don't think you should worry yourself with it

No, not yet. Retaking the !LSAT in two weeks and then I'll go complete as soon as the score is released. I have the same line of thinking as you...6+ years of significant work experience and not rockstar numbers = AJD is a great option. Not to mention some savings in cost of living.

fruitoftheloom wrote:I am an AJD applicant, I did the interview on campus - based on prior interview threads, questions are exactly the same. There were no curve balls.

Good to hear. Thanks for the info!

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Thought I'd live the thread up.

Has anyone applied already?

I spoke to an adcomm today and she assured me again that no AJD apps are going to get reviewed until the deadline (1/15) and that they will mail decisions by feb1.
Interesting cause it's the only place I know that does not do rollover admissions.

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:08 pm

I have applied already. My status checker says I should have a decision within 6-8 weeks of Dec 1st. No idea if that's correct or not.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:18 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:I have applied already. My status checker says I should have a decision within 6-8 weeks of Dec 1st. No idea if that's correct or not.

That makes sense. She said clearly (after I asked in exact words :)) that's its not a rollover admission decision and that they will wait until the very last date before viewing any apps. I even asked her if there's a difference between me applying today or January 14th (deadline is the 15th) and she said no.

I want to work on a good why NU and why AJD essay to submit with my app so I think I'll send everything around the 10th of the new year.

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:36 pm

Just FYI, at my on campus interview, the admissions person said that they do consIder earlier applications first. I do not know if she is correct. Also, the fact that admits to the program didn't come out until Feb last year leads more credence to what you heard. But there is conflicting information out there.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:53 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Just FYI, at my on campus interview, the admissions person said that they do consIder earlier applications first. I do not know if she is correct. Also, the fact that admits to the program didn't come out until Feb last year leads more credence to what you heard. But there is conflicting information out there.

Actually the one who interviewed me on campus said something similar to what the lady on the phone said.

Plus, there are ~100 applicants a year for the prog so I don't know how it will matter if they read #5 before #95

mastermind10

Postby mastermind10 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:33 am

Hopefully we'll be getting our decisions this week! Question for everyone, on my status under the Requirements List, it has checkmarks next to most of the stuff but not next to the Essay 1, Essay 2, Essay 3 boxes for which I did submit essays. Anything similar for you all. I was thinking maybe they check it off once they've actually read over them but wasn't sure.

Good luck to everyone!

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:42 am

mastermind10 wrote:Hopefully we'll be getting our decisions this week! Question for everyone, on my status under the Requirements List, it has checkmarks next to most of the stuff but not next to the Essay 1, Essay 2, Essay 3 boxes for which I did submit essays. Anything similar for you all. I was thinking maybe they check it off once they've actually read over them but wasn't sure.

Good luck to everyone!

You can always call and ask. They are very nice.
I'm really hoping for decisions too!! In guessing tomorrow?

tag

Postby tag » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:25 pm

Found out Friday I was admitted to the AJD program. I'm also still looking at Vandy and waiting to hear back from some other schools (the remaining ones are mostly stretches, so I think the choice will be b/w NW and Vandy). The AJD was my original first choice, so I'm both elated and very nervous, but perhaps it's just cold feet. The quick turnaround in which the decision has to be made is adding to this, especially in light of the delayed acceptance (website stated Feb. 1 would have decisions out). I'd love to hear thoughts on why you are choosing or not choosing the NW AJD. I'm trying to get in touch with hiring managers or alum who can share their perspectives as well.

No funding was listed in my admit letter, is it safe to assume then they won't be adding anything to sweeten the deal?

Any advice or fellow AJD admits would be so appreciated...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”