Rankings making a difference?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
grassynome

Rankings making a difference?

Postby grassynome » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Hello,
I have heard mixed things about law rankings mattering. I tried searching on the forum and didn't come away with a clear answer. So my question is when do rankings really start to matter? Is it in the top 5, top 10 etc... Because I am debating really shooting for a school in the top 20, however, financially it makes a lot more sense for me to go to a school thats ranked like ASU (Arizona State University). :oops:

bk1

Re: Rankings making a difference?

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:38 pm

It depends. A couple things:

1. Law schools give out almost entirely merit aid. Meaning schools don't cost that much if you have a good LSAT/GPA. So even though a top school might cost 40-50k/year, if you have a good enough LSAT/GPA they will throw money at you to attend. So the base cost of the school is not that important depending on how much aid you get.

2. As for rankings it basically depends. The top 14 schools are generally regarded as doing well nationally (though even within those there are subtiers and some of them do better in certain locations than others). After that you should try to go to a school that is strongest in the area you want to work in. Want Boston? BU/BC. Want Arizona? ASU is a fine choice. Want CA? UCLA/USC. Don't go to a school like ASU (or even USC/UCLA) with the intention of working outside of the school's home state after you graduate.

grassynome

Re: Rankings making a difference?

Postby grassynome » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:51 pm

Hmm, I see, I am not sure exactly where I want to live to be honest. I mainly just want to be able to have options. Gotta get a good score regardless on my 3rd lsat attempt next month! :roll:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”