NU Biglaw?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Cobretti

NU Biglaw?

Postby Cobretti » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:27 am

So as of right now I'm pretty sure I'll be EDing to NU. I definitely want big law, and NU seems to rank exceptionally well for big law placement (--LinkRemoved--). I guess I just wanted to confirm with TLS that these numbers are actually legit, and NU really does place better into big law than these schools that are higher ranked.

I know the explanation that a lot of the higher ranked schools have more clerkships, hence the "lower" big law percentages. My question is basically with that being considered, does NU still place better in biglaw than average among the T14?

And if these numbers are really skewed, what would be another T7-14 school that you would say places better than its peers into big law?

Thanks guys

bk1

Re: NU Biglaw?

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:32 am

NU is a peer of the lower T14. NU students tend to self-select out of PI/clerkships and more towards firms. You're also only looking at a single year of data. None of the lower T14 are significantly outperforming their peers.

If you have a preference for a lower T14 I would base it on location preferences (want CA-->Berkeley, want Chicago-->NU/UMich, want the south-->UVA/Duke, etc) as well as realistic odds of which one you can get into.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:46 am

I don't think there is any reason to doubt the ABA statistics on which the LST page is based. They're broadly consistent with the National Law Journal's numbers, which are collected independently.

It's not clear why NU's statistics are better than the other T7-14. Some people think that it's because employers like work experience, and NU has a work experience requirement. But NU had the same work experience requirement prior to the recession, and at that time it placed comparably to UVA/UM/Duke (for firms of 50+ attorneys and federal clerkships). I think the real explanation is that those other schools don't dominate a big local market, unlike NU. The Chicago market has been hurting lately, but it's still the third largest in the country.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:19 pm

Really? You have NU and UChicago right there plus UM nearby. I think job experience is actually a major deal in this market. The knock against recent JDs is not only that they don't know anything about practicing but also that they don't know how to work in a professional environment.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:41 pm

I agree with Rayiner. Out of the non-HYS T14, CCNPBNC should always be the preferred choices out of the remaining T14. They all feed into CA, Chi, and NYC in a way that a median student would be competitive in the large local market. In contrast, at VMDG, most, if not all, median students are forced to seek out secondary markets (or random markets they have ties to) for jobs. Here, NU does very well and is easily a better choice than VMDG.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:41 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I agree with Rayiner. Out of the non-HYS T14, CCNPBNC should always be the preferred choices out of the remaining T14. They all feed into CA, Chi, and NYC in a way that a median student would be competitive in the large local market. In contrast, at VMDG, most, if not all, median students are forced to seek out secondary markets (or random markets they have ties to) for jobs. Here, NU does very well and is easily a better choice than VMDG.

Exact kind of answer I was hoping to find, thank you.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:06 am

I also think it's important to point out that NU students have a significant advantage during OCI because of their work experience.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:25 am

emkay625 wrote:I also think it's important to point out that NU students have a significant advantage during OCI because of their work experience.

If you look at placement into firms of 50+, along with clerkships, NU had 79% for C/O 2008. V was at 83%, M at 73%, D at 83%. So right in line with the average for the MVDN group. I think geography explains the difference in C/O 2011 more than the work experience requirement.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”