"Easiest" Top Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

"Easiest" Law School

Yale
46%
Stanford
11%
Harvard
5%
Columbia
1%
Chicago
1%
NYU
3%
Berkeley
11%
Penn
2%
Virginia
13%
Michigan
7%

Total votes: 176

Tom Joad

Re: "Easiest" Top Law School

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:07 pm

lawschoolROCKS22 wrote:Yale, then Harvard or Stanford. You've basically already made it if you get into one of those three schools (even if you somehow get shut out of BigLaw, you're still pretty much guaranteed to get at least some full-time non-temporary job that actually requires a JD).

Maybe I'm biased, but wouldn't Columbia or Chicago be the hardest? After all, you have the smartest/hardest-working law school students who necessarily didn't get into HYS (unless they decided to go to CCN because they got a full ride there but not at HYS). Moreover, HYS are prestigious enough that they can get away with using fail/pass/high-pass grading. At CCN, you're graded on a forced curve, and even if schools like Columbia try to claim that they don't provide GPAs, it takes an employer like 2 minutes to turn the grades on your transcript into a GPA. Once that GPA is determined, it's pretty easy to determine where a student falls within the class (i.e. top 10%, top 1/3, etc...). Word on the street is that NYU's workload is a little lighter, but a lot of the stuff stated above would still apply

Nah duder, some school like GW or WUSTL is the toughest because everybody is gunning since they have to be top 10% to have a really good chance at BIGLAW. And it is not like GW or WUSTL students are dumber than CCN students. They missed like 6 more questions on the LSAT, whooptie doo.

lawschoolROCKS22

Postby lawschoolROCKS22 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
lawschoolROCKS22 wrote:Yale, then Harvard or Stanford. You've basically already made it if you get into one of those three schools (even if you somehow get shut out of BigLaw, you're still pretty much guaranteed to get at least some full-time non-temporary job that actually requires a JD).

Maybe I'm biased, but wouldn't Columbia or Chicago be the hardest? After all, you have the smartest/hardest-working law school students who necessarily didn't get into HYS (unless they decided to go to CCN because they got a full ride there but not at HYS). Moreover, HYS are prestigious enough that they can get away with using fail/pass/high-pass grading. At CCN, you're graded on a forced curve, and even if schools like Columbia try to claim that they don't provide GPAs, it takes an employer like 2 minutes to turn the grades on your transcript into a GPA. Once that GPA is determined, it's pretty easy to determine where a student falls within the class (i.e. top 10%, top 1/3, etc...). Word on the street is that NYU's workload is a little lighter, but a lot of the stuff stated above would still apply

Nah duder, some school like GW or WUSTL is the toughest because everybody is gunning since they have to be top 10% to have a really good chance at BIGLAW. And it is not like GW or WUSTL students are dumber than CCN students. They missed like 6 more questions on the LSAT, whooptie doo.

Fair point. A 172 versus a 167 on the LSAT can basically be the result of just misreading one line in one logic game, and thus, getting all of the questions for that one game wrong. Theoretically, people at Chicago or Columbia should be slightly smarter, but I doubt there's an enormous difference between a typical CLS dude and a typical WUSTL dude (at least as far as book smarts are concerned). Also, employers do seem to give you a lot of respect for just having the CCN line on your resume. I would assume that there are some CCN students that get BigLaw that wouldn't have finished high enough in their class at lower ranked law school in order to get that sweet sweet 160K.

That said, I don't think that normal law schools (i.e. GW or WUSTL) are doing 4-credit classes that meet 3X a week and that assign, for every single time class meets, ~50 pages in the casebook + statutes + whatever other crap the professor thinks is really important at the time. Maybe I'm wrong about this (I don't know anyone personally that went to WUSTL or GW). Just saying that about a 1/3 of my friends from back in college went to law school, and I don't know anyone going to a non-T14 school with that kind of reading getting assigned (and even some of the T14s aren't doing that). However, if you're going to a place like Columbia or Chicago, you'll definitely have to take a decent number of classes that fit that description before you graduate, and at a school like that, most of the students are intense enough that they'll actually do all of the work.

Just my 2 cents. I could be wrong about what schools are the "easiest" or "hardest," and I think that those terms will mean different things to different people. Edit: Also, I just saw that OP asked about friendlier/more social students. Even if there's a ton of work, I think that you'll find that most CLS students will still want to head out to bars and hang out on the weekends. Not everyone will be like that, but if you put yourself out there, it's not a hard place to make friends and set yourself up to have fun on Thursday/Friday nights.

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:47 pm

IAFG wrote:Harvard's grading system seems more likely to engender gunning than Y or S. Besides that, it's a massive class, so there aren't enough clerkships/prestigious jobs to go around.

Ehh there really isnt much gunning at Harvard and as long as you have a decent personality you can get V20/double digit callbacks with just an H or two. A much, much smaller portion than you would think are gunning for truly prestigious jobs/clerkships. TLS perception of Harvard is wayyyyyy off.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:07 am

AllTheLawz wrote:
IAFG wrote:Harvard's grading system seems more likely to engender gunning than Y or S. Besides that, it's a massive class, so there aren't enough clerkships/prestigious jobs to go around.

Ehh there really isnt much gunning at Harvard and as long as you have a decent personality you can get V20/double digit callbacks with just an H or two. A much, much smaller portion than you would think are gunning for truly prestigious jobs/clerkships. TLS perception of Harvard is wayyyyyy off.

I have more insight than some fuzzy TLS perception.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”