(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which ED?

Penn
56%
Michigan
23%
ED nowhere, idiot
16%
ED elsewhere, stupid
5%

Total votes: 101

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:58 am

Last edited by guinness1547 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Real Madrid

Re: ED Michigan v. Penn(Poll)

Postby Real Madrid » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:01 am

Penn. You have a decent to good chance at Michigan RD IMO.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:39 am

If willing to pay sticker, Penn.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 pm

Penn, UVA, UMich in that order

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:09 pm

Penn, definitely

The only negatives I can think of is that Philly is probably more expensive than AA, though Philly is a pretty cheap city, and that Michigan has been known to give money to EDers

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:52 pm

Real Madrid wrote:Penn. You have a decent to good chance at Michigan RD IMO.

I am skeptical. Not much to see there, and here it looks like there's a pretty solid 3.5 floor for 170s. Good shot at Michigan ED though.

OP, where do you want to work?

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:02 am

UnamSanctam wrote:

I am skeptical. Not much to see there, and here it looks like there's a pretty solid 3.5 floor for 170s. Good shot at Michigan ED though.

I would be fine working anywhere in the country, excluding the south. That just doesn't appeal to me in any way.

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:06 am

guinness1547 wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:

I would be fine working anywhere in the country, excluding the south. That just doesn't appeal to me in any way.

Penn loves 170's. I was in with a 3.4 170 without EDing. I think with a 170 you should be fine with an ED (not a lock, but decent shot)

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:40 am

guinness1547 wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:

Michigan will feed more to some CA markets, but if you're alright staying the East then you should ED Penn. Unless you really, really want to go to some football games.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:58 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:

Michigan will feed more to some CA markets, but if you're alright staying the East then you should ED Penn. Unless you really, really want to go to some football games.

CA isn't very likely from either school without ties.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:00 pm

Michigan ED is summer-start...you realize that correct?

karich

Postby karich » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:13 pm

I am in a very similar situation. I'm EDing Penn. Only room in this town for one of us...... *tumbleweed tumbles*

Ende

Postby Ende » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:31 pm

I have a question...

I noticed a lot of people in this thread are choosing UPenn over Michigan with respect to ED, but I'm curious as to why there, as opposed to Michigan?

What is it about Penn that makes it a better choice? Is it the prestige, job prospects, both?

Thanks,

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:36 pm

Ende wrote:I have a question...

I noticed a lot of people in this thread are choosing UPenn over Michigan with respect to ED, but I'm curious as to why there, as opposed to Michigan?

What is it about Penn that makes it a better choice? Is it the prestige, job prospects, both?

Thanks,

See the Law School Transparency pages for both schools.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:50 pm

Last edited by guinness1547 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JWalker

Postby JWalker » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:05 pm

Penn.

If it doesn't work out, I think you'll get Michigan RD with a 170.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:43 am

I'm not saying that the overall sentiment is or isn't justified, but TLS loves Penn and hates Mich.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:05 am

Penn is always a better choice than Michigan if the schools are anywhere near the same cost in tuition. This is the case primarily due to the fact that Penn feeds into a major market (NYC) and Michigan does not. Being a feeder into a major market allows graduates to be particularly competitive in that large market, even with below median grades. In contrast, if a school does not feed into a major market, students must have good grades (above median; how high above varies) to be competitive in major markets and/or have strong ties + adequate grades to be competitive in various secondary markets.

What does that mean? It means that if you are a median student at Penn, you are still competitive in NYC. However, if you are median at Michigan, you are likely out at all major markets (NYC, Chi, CA, DC) and will have to seek out secondary markets/markets that you have ties to and pray that you get something.

flem

Postby flem » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:37 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Penn is always a better choice than Michigan if the schools are anywhere near the same cost in tuition. This is the case primarily due to the fact that Penn feeds into a major market (NYC) and Michigan does not. Being a feeder into a major market allows graduates to be particularly competitive in that large market, even with below median grades. In contrast, if a school does not feed into a major market, students must have good grades (above median; how high above varies) to be competitive in major markets and/or have strong ties + adequate grades to be competitive in various secondary markets.

What does that mean? It means that if you are a median student at Penn, you are still competitive in NYC. However, if you are median at Michigan, you are likely out at all major markets (NYC, Chi, CA, DC) and will have to seek out secondary markets/markets that you have ties to and pray that you get something.

This.

I wouldn't go to Michigan without Midwest ties, so you can mass mail Detroit/Grand Rapids/Indianapolis/whatever firms if you strike out at OCI.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:39 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Penn is always a better choice than Michigan if the schools are anywhere near the same cost in tuition. This is the case primarily due to the fact that Penn feeds into a major market (NYC) and Michigan does not. Being a feeder into a major market allows graduates to be particularly competitive in that large market, even with below median grades. In contrast, if a school does not feed into a major market, students must have good grades (above median; how high above varies) to be competitive in major markets and/or have strong ties + adequate grades to be competitive in various secondary markets.

You have no clue what you are talking about with regard to being median at Michigan.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:16 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:

You have no clue what you are talking about with regard to being median at Michigan.

Are you saying that median/below median kids at Michigan are competitive in major markets the same way Penn kids are in NYC, Berkeley kids are in CA, or Northwestern kids are in Chi? I ask because from what I've seen, that is certainly not the case. Not only that, but each of those schools seem to, on average, easily outperform Michigan on the NLJ/clerkship front.

flem

Postby flem » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:27 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:You have no clue what you are talking about with regard to being median at Michigan.

The overall point that Michigan (and also UVA) don't feed into any major market is pretty strong, as evidenced by the fact they appear to have been hit the hardest in terms of employment placement during the recession.

No clue about getting medianpwned there though

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:51 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Are you saying that median/below median kids at Michigan are competitive in major markets the same way Penn kids are in NYC, Berkeley kids are in CA, or Northwestern kids are in Chi? I ask because from what I've seen, that is certainly not the case. Not only that, but each of those schools seem to, on average, easily outperform Michigan on the NLJ/clerkship front.

Now you're just misstating his argument. You said that if you're median at Michigan you're "likely out" at all major markets. He called bullshit.

So do I

flem

Postby flem » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:57 am

mr.hands wrote:Now you're just misstating his argument. You said that if you're median at Michigan you're "likely out" at all major markets. He called bullshit.

So do I

I mean, I don't know if 'likely out' is accurate, but it certainly makes you that much less competitive when there's already schools feeding into that market. It's not like it's impossible for someone median and below at Michigan to get Chicago, but common sense says that a median or below d00der at Northwestern or UChicago is ahead of you in the pecking order, all things being equal.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:08 am

mr.hands wrote:Now you're just misstating his argument. You said that if you're median at Michigan you're "likely out" at all major markets. He called bullshit.

So do I

Do you have any evidence of this? Also, be weary of anecdotal arguments. For example, I'm sure some people in the bottom 20% at GTown get NLJ firms. Does that mean that you could reasonably expect to be competitive NLJ firms from the bottom 20% there? Certainly not.

My overall point is that, due to Michigan's lack of being a feeder into a major market, being at the median there is a much riskier proposition than being median at a "peer" school (here primarily meaning PBN). Thus, if given the option (and at anywhere near the same price), someone should always go to a peer school (again, PBN).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”