. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
AllDangle

Bronze

Post by AllDangle » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:56 pm

Last edited by AllDangle on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Re: UVA vs. Duke

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:13 pm

Duke and UVA are peer schools. I would go to which ever school is cheaper if you want Southern BigLaw. After figuring out COA, you should probably visit each and decide which you like more if COA is similar (which I am pretty sure it is).

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:16 pm

What are your stats?

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:18 pm

OP has a marginally better chance of acceptance at UVA ED. However, chances aren't great at either school (165/3.88).

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:18 pm

AllDangle wrote:Currently trying to decide where to ED. I received a fee waiver and accelerated ED email from Duke. Are they considered peer schools? LST has Duke placing a higher percentage in big law and a lower percentage in school funded jobs (5% vs 17% at UVA). Goal is biglaw, preferably in the South but open to other markets.
They are peer schools, but you are basically a lock at UVA and unlikely to be admitted at Duke, so I'd ED UVA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:13 pm

Yeah you probably aren't getting into Duke. ED UVA

AllDangle

Bronze

Post by AllDangle » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:45 am

Last edited by AllDangle on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:03 pm

AllDangle wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:They are peer schools, but you are basically a lock at UVA and unlikely to be admitted at Duke, so I'd ED UVA.
lawyerwannabe wrote:OP has a marginally better chance of acceptance at UVA ED. However, chances aren't great at either school (165/3.88).
Any input on why some say my numbers are a "lock" at UVA via ED, and others say my chances aren't too great? I've encountered both of these responses in "What are my chances?" threads.
You're getting mixed responses becuase some people think they understand the UVA ED formula, when really they don't. Basically, you are a lock at UVA if you: Apply ED before late October and you are above the 75th percentile of either their accepted LSAT (171) or GPA (3.94). UVA likes to accept ppl ED who meet that criateria becuase 1) it allows them to basically handpick people in order to get exactly the median stats they want and 2) save scholarship money for people who would otherwise probably go to Columbia, Chicago or NYU. The key is that you have to be over one of the 75th percentiles though in order for the formula to work. They take one reverse splitter with a super high GPA, another splitter with a super high LSAT and it "equals out" to them taking a candidate with say a 179/3.98 and a candidate with a 165/3.25.

OP, you aren't above either 75th percentile so you are not a "lock" at UVA ED, but other posters are correct in that you have a much better shot at being admitted ED to UVA becuase UVA has been more willing to dip for people applying ED than Duke has.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:23 pm

pjo wrote:
AllDangle wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:They are peer schools, but you are basically a lock at UVA and unlikely to be admitted at Duke, so I'd ED UVA.
lawyerwannabe wrote:OP has a marginally better chance of acceptance at UVA ED. However, chances aren't great at either school (165/3.88).
Any input on why some say my numbers are a "lock" at UVA via ED, and others say my chances aren't too great? I've encountered both of these responses in "What are my chances?" threads.
You're getting mixed responses becuase some people think they understand the UVA ED formula, when really they don't. Basically, you are a lock at UVA if you: Apply ED before late October and you are above the 75th percentile of either their accepted LSAT (171) or GPA (3.94). UVA likes to accept ppl ED who meet that criateria becuase 1) it allows them to basically handpick people in order to get exactly the median stats they want and 2) save scholarship money for people who would otherwise probably go to Columbia, Chicago or NYU. The key is that you have to be over one of the 75th percentiles though in order for the formula to work. They take one reverse splitter with a super high GPA, another splitter with a super high LSAT and it "equals out" to them taking a candidate with say a 179/3.98 and a candidate with a 165/3.25.

OP, you aren't above either 75th percentile so you are not a "lock" at UVA ED, but other posters are correct in that you have a much better shot at being admitted ED to UVA becuase UVA has been more willing to dip for people applying ED than Duke has.

What you should take from that post.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:10 pm

Dingbat-esque strikeout? Yeah, you suck.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:25 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
pjo wrote:
AllDangle wrote:

What you should take from that post.

OK bro. Guess you're right... I mean, I only go to UVA and have talked to people with stats similiar to OP's who have been denied ED. But yeah, I'm sure you know more than I do about getting admitted ED to UVA. Thanks. You're incredibly helpful to OP and the rest of the TLS community. Also, please explain to me how UVA's medians are they way they are, if they are just accepting everyone who applies ED even if NEITHER of their stats are above the 75th percentile? Close to near half of the class is accepted ED. If they were accepting ppl that were not above the 75th percentile, the school's 75th percentiles would not be increasing the way they are. I usually don't call people out on these boards becuase frankly, it's useless. But for OP's sake, and everyone reading this thread, Real Madrid is flat out wrong. OP, you have a good chance of getting admitted to UVA ED, certainly a better chance than being admitted to Duke, but with those numbers you are not a lock.

I also find it funny that Real Madrid is trying to say that this is not how the UVA ED system works when he said exactly what I said here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... D#p5829952

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:45 am

HBBJohnStamos wrote:Dingbat-esque strikeout? Yeah, you suck.
Who are you, and why do you keep responding to my posts? You're like a damn fruit fly that won't go away.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:53 am

pjo wrote: OK bro. Guess you're right... I mean, I only go to UVA and have talked to people with stats similiar to OP's who have been denied ED. But yeah, I'm sure you know more than I do about getting admitted ED to UVA. Thanks. You're incredibly helpful to OP and the rest of the TLS community. Also, please explain to me how UVA's medians are they way they are, if they are just accepting everyone who applies ED even if NEITHER of their stats are above the 75th percentile? Close to near half of the class is accepted ED. If they were accepting ppl that were not above the 75th percentile, the school's 75th percentiles would not be increasing the way they are. I usually don't call people out on these boards becuase frankly, it's useless. But for OP's sake, and everyone reading this thread, Real Madrid is flat out wrong. OP, you have a good chance of getting admitted to UVA ED, certainly a better chance than being admitted to Duke, but with those numbers you are not a lock.

I also find it funny that Real Madrid is trying to say that this is not how the UVA ED system works when he said exactly what I said here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... D#p5829952
What is all of this BS about 75th percentiles? Medians are all that matter, and that's why UVA's medians and 75th percentiles are so similar...they artificially inflate their medians by taking splitters and reverse splitters through ED. That's also why there's such a big drop off from the medians to the 25th percentiles. I mean, their reported medians are like 170, 3.87 and the 25ths are 164, 3.53. That's an absurd (and revealing) range.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:13 am

U seem upset, y so mad?

opX

Bronze

Post by opX » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:49 am

I dont think a school outside the t14, can be a peer to a school inside the t14. Thats why its called the t14. - perhaps more usefully, doesnt UVA reserve a certain number of its acceptances to VA residents?

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:52 am

opX wrote:I dont think a school outside the t14, can be a peer to a school inside the t14. Thats why its called the t14.
outstanding legal analysis

AllDangle

Bronze

Post by AllDangle » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:12 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Trout et al

Bronze

Post by Trout et al » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:25 am

Last edited by Trout et al on Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AllDangle

Bronze

Post by AllDangle » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:51 am

Trout et al

Bronze

Post by Trout et al » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:04 am

Last edited by Trout et al on Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:42 am

Real Madrid wrote:
HBBJohnStamos wrote:Dingbat-esque strikeout? Yeah, you suck.
Who are you, and why do you keep responding to my posts? You're like a damn fruit fly that won't go away.
Who are you, and why are you so butthurt about being rejected by UVA? You've got one trick (a butthurt insight into the admissions process) and you have to trot it out in every on topic discussion about UVA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:47 am

Look at the LSN graph. UVA accepts nearly everyone above one median or the other at the beginning, then waitlists everyone else almost regardless of numbers then pulls a few to manage their numbers.

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:49 am

I'm not disputing that.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:50 am

HBBJohnStamos wrote:I'm not disputing that.
I'm not arguing with you, I'm arguing with pjo and his 75th-ile bullshit.

DaleCooper

New

Post by DaleCooper » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:49 pm

My three cents:

Employment-wise, there's not a lot of difference. You're either going to be good at law school or not; nobody in the real world seems to see any actual difference between the two. And admissions strategy-wise, it doesn't matter... just apply ED to your first choice and then ED to the other if you get waitlisted or deferred.

Culture-wise, there's more to consider. Durham feels slightly more cosmopolitan and significantly less undergrad party town (though frankly Chapel Hill is way better at being both and is a 15 minute commute away...), and Duke Law feels more like a nurturing professional community and less like a Really Awesome Frat for Alpha Smart Bros.

If that sounds like I'm being pro-Duke (I am), choose Duke. But if it sounds neutral, don't. I've always suspected that the average law student (particularly the K-JD variety) would be happier at Virginia, even if I personally would have been pretty miserable there. If you like the idea of going somewhere where everybody really, really thinks their school is the best law school in the universe, go to Virginia. Because they really do, and that says something positive about it even if it's not for everybody.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”