CT law schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ajth87

New

CT law schools

Post by ajth87 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:45 pm

Hey everyone,

I am looking to attend law school in the Fall of 2013. I am currently working as a paralegal for a small CT Personal Injury firm. My concern is with job placement after law school. With my GPA and LSAT, I know that I won't be able to get into Yale. At this time I am looking at the only other two in CT, QU and Uconn. I am retaking the LSAT in December and am studying vigorously to improve my score. I took it a couple years ago without studying and I wasn't very focused while taking it which is a mistake on my part. I am confident that with all of this studying that I can earn around a 170. My GPA is 3.53. Being that I have to work full time, I will be attending law school part time.

My question would be, what are my chances of Getting Into a Good Law Firm in NYC if I graduate from a CT law school aside from Yale? I am not looking for BigLaw per se, but a much larger firm than most in CT.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

locthebloke

New

Re: CT law schools

Post by locthebloke » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:02 pm

ajth87 wrote: I am looking to attend law school in the Fall of 2013. I am currently working as a paralegal for a small CT Personal Injury firm. My concern is with job placement after law school. With my GPA and LSAT, I know that I won't be able to get into Yale. At this time I am looking at the only other two in CT, QU and Uconn. I am retaking the LSAT in December and am studying vigorously to improve my score. I took it a couple years ago without studying and I wasn't very focused while taking it which is a mistake on my part. I am confident that with all of this studying that I can earn around a 170. My GPA is 3.53. Being that I have to work full time, I will be attending law school part time.
What was your first LSAT score, and what makes you confident in a 170? You have taken recent prep tests and scored a 175+? That alone should make you confident in scoring a 170 on test day.

Also, what undergrad school did you attend and what was your major? While far less important than LSAT score, it does carry weight.
ajth87 wrote:My question would be, what are my chances of getting into a good law firm in NYC if I graduate from a CT law school aside from Yale? I am not looking for BigLaw per se, but a much larger firm than most in CT.
Pretty close to zip, unfortunately. Maybe if you became a top 5-10%er at Uconn. You might have a shot, but even then don't hold your breath. The New York Market is obscenely saturated and tons of schools much more prestigious than Uconn come in. You'd be competing with Columbia, NYU and Cornell grads, to say nothing of the other Ivies that filter in.

ajth87

New

Post by ajth87 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Thanks for the reply! I kind of knew the answer prior to asking but wanted to confirm. To answer your questions. I graduated from Post University in Waterbury CT. Not very well known. I got a 150 on the first LSAT. The reason why I say I feel I can earn a 170 is the fact that I didn't study for the first LSAT and I know with utmost effort I can score far above a 150. I have much more potential than a 150.

At this point I am going to focus on the LSAT and see where I get in when I apply. My only reason for staying in CT is because of my job but if i can figure something out and be able to attends NY school, if accepted, then that might change things.

locthebloke

New

Post by locthebloke » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:31 pm

ajth87 wrote:Thanks for the reply! I kind of knew the answer prior to asking but wanted to confirm. To answer your questions. I graduated from Post University in Waterbury CT. Not very well known. I got a 150 on the first LSAT. The reason why I say I feel I can earn a 170 is the fact that I didn't study for the first LSAT and I know with utmost effort I can score far above a 150. I have much more potential than a 150.
Well, confidence is great, but that sounds like a lot of speculation and assumption. Please understand that a 170 is an exceptional LSAT score. Well above the 90th percentile. So don't just assume that you can get that high because you have some inkling that your 'utmost effort' will get you there. But you have the right mindset, as a 165-170 is about what you should be scoring to even consider law school. A 3.53/170 would most likely get you a full ride at Uconn. To be honest, about the only way Uconn is viable--near full or completely full scholarship.

Good luck to you.

Sspinner

New

Post by Sspinner » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:55 am

I think it's great that you are confident but you have to understand that a 170 is the 97.4%. You are talking about going from a below average (44%) to being among the top 2.6% of test-takers. If it was that easy to just whimsically get a 170, everyone would do it. I'm not saying that you can't do it, just don't be frustrated if you are not seeing major point increases as you study.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ajth87

New

Post by ajth87 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:03 pm

Thanks for the replies. I certainly understand and agree that getting a 170 is NOT easy though I also know that it is not impossible either. I guess the only way to determine is to take the exam and see what I get. I won't be frustrated if I don't get a 170, I will be satisfied for 160's also. Thanks again!

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:22 pm

ajth87 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I certainly understand and agree that getting a 170 is NOT easy though I also know that it is not impossible either. I guess the only way to determine is to take the exam and see what I get. I won't be frustrated if I don't get a 170, I will be satisfied for 160's also. Thanks again!
My first practice was a 150 and I ended up with a 164 on my only take. 20 points isn't impossible but you should lock yourself in a dungeon and study until your brain melts.

oGsObama

New

Post by oGsObama » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:11 pm

with that gpa and a reasonable lsat score, Uconn is in the bags for you, it's not yale but still well above average

locthebloke

New

Post by locthebloke » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:03 pm

oGsObama wrote:with that gpa and a reasonable lsat score, Uconn is in the bags for you, it's not yale but still well above average
The real question though is whether or not OP gets an LSAT score good enough to make UConn financially viable. A "reasonable" LSAT score probably won't get him a full or nearly full tuition scholarship. Anywhere near sticker for Uconn is nuts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”