Attending a lower ranked school vs. higher Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
airplay355

New

Attending a lower ranked school vs. higher

Post by airplay355 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:35 pm

Sorry if this has been covered before...

I was browsing law school transparency and noticed some lower ranked schools had similar (almost identical) employment prospects as higher ones. Cardozo and BU for example.

How does one choose between schools like that? Does ranking mean so much anymore or does the choice come down to scholly money, where you ultimately want to end up and COL.

dingbat

Gold

Re: Attending a lower ranked school vs. higher

Post by dingbat » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:45 pm

airplay355 wrote:Sorry if this has been covered before...

I was browsing law school transparency and noticed some lower ranked schools had similar (almost identical) employment prospects as higher ones. Cardozo and BU for example.

How does one choose between schools like that? Does ranking mean so much anymore or does the choice come down to scholly money, where you ultimately want to end up and COL.
Rankings aren't perfect. Also, it's better to think of schools in bands rather than by ranking.
HYS - anyone should be able to land a job anywhere
T14 - Most people should be able to get a good job, in most any location
T1 - this is a regional school. Don't go if you don't want to work in that region
TTT - A) the only school in a small market (e.g. Wyoming), which may be worth attending if you want to work in that market; or B) a bottom-feeder in a saturated market. Don't attend under any circumstances

Note that a lot of markets have several schools that feed into them. Typically, there's a well-established ranking within that market, which is worth keeping in mind at all times.
Comparing schools in different markets is pointless - who cares if the second best school in Tennessee outperforms the second best school in Wisconsin? they don't compete with each other.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:24 am

Choose based on location, cost, and prospects. Rank does not matter.

For instance, I would have rather attended SMU/UHLC over many T1s.

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:47 pm

ummmmm where are you getting these "identical" employment prospects?

BU - 19.8% (Large Firm) + 1.8% (Fed. Clerkship)

Dozo - 11.8% (Large Firm) + 2.9% (Fed. Clerkship)

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:52 pm

dingbat wrote:Rankings aren't perfect. Also, it's better to think of schools in bands rather than by ranking.HYS - anyone should be able to land a job anywhere T14 - Most people should be able to get a good job, in most any location[/size]T1 - this is a regional school. Don't go if you don't want to work in that regionTTT - A) the only school in a small market (e.g. Wyoming), which may be worth attending if you want to work in that market; or B) a bottom-feeder in a saturated market. Don't attend under any circumstances
Lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Also, make sure you aren't just comparing one year of data to draw the conclusion that "employment prospects are identical."

locthebloke

New

Post by locthebloke » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:11 pm

dingbat wrote: T14 - Most people should be able to get a good job, in most any location
Pfffft. Tell that to my friend who who graduated from Northwestern. She was firmly middle of her class. 8 months to find a job. Job is in Bumfucksville, IL for 45k/yr... Northwestern!

It is even worse out there than many folks here on TLS like or want to believe it is. Open your eyes, people.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:13 pm

locthebloke wrote:
dingbat wrote: T14 - Most people should be able to get a good job, in most any location
Pfffft. Tell that to my friend who who graduated from Northwestern. She was firmly middle of her class. 8 months to find a job. Job is in Bumfucksville, IL for 45k/yr... Northwestern!

It is even worse out there than many folks here on TLS like or want to believe it is. Open your eyes, people.
Oh cool this guy again

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:27 pm

There is one drastic difference between BU and Cardozo... the amount of people going into big firms (it's essentially double at BU). The percentage of grads that get set into highly desirable employment (which is mostly big firms) is something that is important to consider between schools. That being said, BU's predicament (and that of many of its peer schools) shows how rough it is finding desirable work at schools below the T14 or so. The things you mentioned, total CoA (which is essentially tuition plus CoL minus scholarship money) and location are important, but job prospects are as well. There is a definite difference between BU and Cardozo but there are also even larger differences between say Cornell and Fordham. You shouldn't necessarily consider USNWR rankings but you should consider employment stats (all of the various ones such as underemployment, unemployment, NLJ250 percentage, etc) and those things do vary.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:31 pm

tfleming09 wrote:Oh cool this guy again
Yeah personally I'm sick of hearing what happens to people at top 14 who end up below median. It's just not that relevant. Not many people end up below median in the top 14 anyway so what's the point in talking about it?

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:58 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Yeah personally I'm sick of hearing what happens to people at top 14 who end up below median. It's just not that relevant. Not many people end up below median in the top 14 anyway so what's the point in talking about it?
Or anecdotal evidence is fucking anecdotal?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:54 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Or anecdotal evidence is fucking anecdotal?
LOL yeah keep telling yourself that ending up unemployed or working a terrible job is merely an "anecdote" for those who end up below median at a top 14.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:08 pm

I'm sure by now that everyone knows that T14s don't guarantee good employment outcomes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:10 pm

BruceWayne wrote:LOL yeah keep telling yourself that ending up unemployed or working a terrible job is merely an "anecdote" for those who end up below median at a top 14.
I feel like you have completely gone off the deep end with trying to formulate cogent arguments.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:21 am

BruceWayne wrote:Instead of actually formulating a cogent argument, who wants to see me mow down a fucking straw man?

bigvinny

New

Post by bigvinny » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:19 am

tfleming09 wrote:Instead of actually formulating a straw man, who wants to see me get mowed down by fucking cogent argument?

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:38 am

bigvinny wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:Instead of actually formulating a straw man, who wants to see me get mowed down by fucking cogent argument?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:15 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
You clearly don't understand what a median is?

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:32 pm

rglifberg wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
You clearly don't understand what a median is?
(clearly doesn't understand what sarcasm is)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”