Is Any Optimism Justified?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

How does your class ranking in law school compare to your incoming LSAT/GPA percentile?

Higher
42%
About the same
37%
Lower
21%

Total votes: 57

manbear

Re: Is Any Optimism Justified?

Postby manbear » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:05 pm

There is no derision here. I'm simply making the point that supporting a claim with actual reasons is vastly more effective than supporting a claim with "Take it from me, I'm a law student so I know," especially in an anonymous forum. This shouldn't be controversial in the least...

Much thanks to the people who took the time to explain their thoughts and reasoning on this topic.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:55 pm

So I can't assume that anyone who would actually want to go to Rutgers Camden this year is a dumb?

Good to know.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:58 pm

I strongly suspect manbear's a MysticalWheel alt.

DaleCooper

Postby DaleCooper » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:26 pm

manbear wrote:This cracks me up. No disrespect to this forum intended, but I have no idea if there are any real law students here or if you are all a bunch of trolls typing with your toes, considering that this the internet. Claiming to be the voice of experience is not productive. You are essentially telling me that I should heed your herd mentality. The entire question here is about breaking away from the herd. I don't imagine that many who take the opinions of TLS as sacrosanct will be at the top of the class...

I certainly do trust my gut and I plan on making my own decision. I know plenty of newbs make posts asking people to do their thinking for them; I'm not one of them. I'm merely throwing questions out there to see what answers I get. Some answers have been helpful and some have not.

I believe you would be happiest at The University of Chicago.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:36 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:So I can't assume that anyone who would actually want to go to Rutgers Camden this year is a dumb?

Good to know.

You have a mix of opinions in the thread on lower ranked schools here with low debt vs T-14 with high debt. Personally, I am a fan of the lower ranked school, with decent job prospects in it's market over T-14 with high debt. I said all that to say "I" would consider RU-C a decent option IF I wanted to work in its market and could handle living near Camdon for three years. (Which I couldn't) Though, RU-N was a VERY real option for me and for my end game goals would have been a good choice for me.

The original question remains though. Do you have a considerably better chance at being at the top of your class because your LSAT and GPA are high for the school. While LS admission committees rely heavily on the LSAT and GPA for admittance because that is what they report there are SO MANY more variables that go into predicting who might do well and who won't.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:13 pm

HeavenWood wrote:I strongly suspect manbear's a MysticalWheel alt.

Don't say the name. She might hear and be summoned.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”