Dropping out for a job and then reapplying?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
toughdecision12

Dropping out for a job and then reapplying?

Postby toughdecision12 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:31 pm

Long time lurker here. Reading all the wisdom on TLS helped me a lot in the application process and helped me reach my full potential LSAT wise, but now I feel the need to turn to this community with a very specific personal question. In a little bit of a dilemma. Getting ready to start school at a T-14 with a good scholarship. Comfortable with job prospects, location, etc. I was set to go to law school until I realized this summer that my family's financial situation is much worse than I previously thought it was. Basically I knew times were hard, but I recently came to realize that my mom (single mother) will probably be facing foreclosure/bankruptcy in the next few years if our financial situation does not improve. So, I decided on a whim that I would apply to as many entry level jobs as I could in my home city over the summer and if I got one I though would be a good fit I would take it, withdraw from my school, and maybe reapply a few years down the line once things get better at home. (Note: I do eventually want to practice law; always have and always will and don't have some glorified version of what the law is....I actually do want to be a lawyer). A few weeks ago I had a preliminary interview with a job I would love to take and which pays very well for an entry level position. I could live at home so would have no expenses other than paying back a very minimal amount of undergrad debt. I was just offered a second interview with the company for next week. If I got the job and worked for 2-3 years I figure I could give the majority of that money to my mother, likely averting financial disaster for our family. Then I could reapply to law school since my LSAT score is still recent.

The problem is, if I do happen to get offered this job (second interview is obviously a good sign but no guarantees ITE in any profession), it will be cutting dangerously close to my law school orientation. I guess what I am wondering is whether anyone knows at what point in the semester would I be considered to have "attended" this law school? Would it be orientation or the actual start of classes? I am thinking about this because, if I do get this job I would certainly want to reapply to law school in a few years when my financial situation is better and know you have to disclose any law school you have previously attended on applications.

So basically my questions are:

1). At what point in time will I be considered a "student in attendance" at my law school?
2). If, hypothetically, I get offered the job and take it at a point in time when I am considered a "student in attendance" at my school, what will the effect be if I reapply to schools in 2 or 3 years? If I write an earnest personal statement explaining my situation would this negate the stigma of "dropping out?" I know there are a million hypotheticals involved but one way or the other I want to be prepared for a quick decision because if I do withdraw I will only do it within the time frame where I can get 100% tuition back.

Thank you very much for your help. I'm trying to do the right thing for myself and my family and this is all confusing right now.

inthebeginning

Re: Dropping out for a job and then reapplying?

Postby inthebeginning » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Tell the job that you are working against a deadline with law school and ask if they will work with you. Then reach out to your t14 admissions and ask about whether you can defer a year- there are plenty of kids they can offer to take your place this year so thats a real possibility. Plus, WE makes you more likely to get a job.

toughdecision12

Postby toughdecision12 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:43 pm

inthebeginning wrote:Tell the job that you are working against a deadline with law school and ask if they will work with you. Then reach out to your t14 admissions and ask about whether you can defer a year- there are plenty of kids they can offer to take your place this year so thats a real possibility. Plus, WE makes you more likely to get a job.

Thanks so much for the input. The thing I worry about is I would have to defer for two or three years at this point....honestly not positive of the length just yet. Also I'm not sure what would happen should I accept the job and then they found out about this. I wouldn't want to seem like a flight risk. But perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to reach out to the admissions office at school and see what they can do for me.

inthebeginning

Postby inthebeginning » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:46 pm

Some t14s let you continue your deferral as long as you pay an annual deposit renewal. Yeah, being transparent with the admissions office is probably your best bet on getting the info you need its a pretty reasonable question to ask.

toughdecision12

Postby toughdecision12 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:58 pm

inthebeginning wrote:Some t14s let you continue your deferral as long as you pay an annual deposit renewal. Yeah, being transparent with the admissions office is probably your best bet on getting the info you need its a pretty reasonable question to ask.

That's great well I will definitely contact them one way or the other. I guess my hesitation stems from the fact that I would honestly feel uncomfortable taking the job (if offered) while continuing to pay a deposit renewal at a law school. I almost think this would make me seem like a flight risk, no? At the very least it would be pretty disrespectful to the employer that I did that I would think, don't you think so?

inthebeginning

Postby inthebeginning » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:50 pm

definately not. paying a seat deposit just holds your place it doesn't mean you are leaving. once you start working you may even change your mind. when it comes time to leave just say you got into school, and it keep it at that.

noggo10

Postby noggo10 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:59 pm

I would think, should you decide to withdraw/drop out and had to disclose it, most addcomms would be pretty understanding

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Agreed, work with admissions to see what they can do for you. They aren't exactly turning away qualified applicants these days. Props to you for putting your career on hold to help out your family.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”