a

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

a

a
75%
b
25%

Total votes: 44

abccc

a

Postby abccc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:00 pm

a
Last edited by abccc on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Penn vs. UVA

Postby 20130312 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:02 pm

Feel like a broken record, but... where do you want to work? Where do you have ties?

BigBucks

Postby BigBucks » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:03 pm

UVA has a higher employment score (94% to 80%) than Penn, but Penn sends a much higher proportion of graduates to firms of 501+ (45% vs. 25%). Do with that what you will.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:06 pm

BigBucks wrote:UVA has a higher employment score (94% to 80%) than Penn, but Penn sends a much higher proportion of graduates to firms of 501+ (45% vs. 25%). Do with that what you will.

For UVA:

LST (LinkRemoved) wrote:17% of graduates were employed in school-funded jobs

For Penn:

LST (LinkRemoved) wrote:4% of graduates were employed in school-funded jobs

Bringing them both down to 76% employment. Do with that what you will.
Last edited by 20130312 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inthebeginning

Postby inthebeginning » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:06 pm

did you get in off the waitlist at one of these?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:12 pm

Penn.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:15 pm

If you're from NYC or DC RUN don't walk to Penn over UVA.

If you're from the South RUN don't walk to UVA over Penn.

If you're not from any of these places go to the one that's least expensive.

ITE don't go to either with overly high expectations.

top30man

Postby top30man » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:18 pm

inthebeginning wrote:did you get in off the waitlist at one of these?

Sounds hypothetical.

abccc

Postby abccc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:21 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Feel like a broken record, but... where do you want to work? Where do you have ties?

I am from the south. Not sure where I want to work though -- preferably either NYC, West Coast, or back to the South again.

I am also interested in potentially pursuing the JD/MBA option, but still have to take GMAT so no guarantee I could be accepted to Wharton (before everyone says to go there automatically). Do you think even the chance that I would get into the JD/MBA is worth going to Penn?

Also, thanks to everyone for all the feedback. Really appreciate it.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:25 pm

abccc wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Feel like a broken record, but... where do you want to work? Where do you have ties?

I am from the south. Not sure where I want to work though -- preferably either NYC, West Coast, or back to the South again.

I am also interested in potentially pursuing the JD/MBA option, but still have to take GMAT so no guarantee I could be accepted to Wharton (before everyone says to go there automatically).

Not trying to be an ass, but in this economy it's not about where you want to work. You need to go to UVA barring a substantial scholarship from Penn that UVA doesn't match.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:27 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Not trying to be an ass, but in this economy it's not about where you want to work. You need to go to UVA barring a substantial scholarship from Penn that UVA doesn't match.

Seems overly harsh to me, considering anecdotal evidence suggests that NYC lurvs Penn students (regardless of ties).

abccc

Postby abccc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:36 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
abccc wrote:

I am also interested in potentially pursuing the JD/MBA option, but still have to take GMAT so no guarantee I could be accepted to Wharton (before everyone says to go there automatically).

Not trying to be an ass, but in this economy it's not about where you want to work. You need to go to UVA barring a substantial scholarship from Penn that UVA doesn't match.

So think that just because I am from the south, I should go to UVA? Even considering that I am willing to work WC and NYC? And that I am interested in JD/MBA?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:44 pm

OP, if you want to be in the South, go to UVA. If you want NYC, go to Penn. Regardless of where you want to be, you have a higher chance of not getting a desirable job at UVA. Thus, if you are flexible about location, Penn. Period.

Bruce, NYC doesn't have the ties requirements that almost all other markets have. Therefore, it doesn't matter that the OP does not have ties to NYC when it comes to getting a job there.

abccc

Postby abccc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:04 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:OP, if you want to be in the South, go to UVA. If you want NYC, go to Penn. Regardless of where you want to be, you have a higher chance of not getting a desirable job at UVA. Thus, if you are flexible about location, Penn. Period.

Bruce, NYC doesn't have the ties requirements that almost all other markets have. Therefore, it doesn't matter that the OP does not have ties to NYC when it comes to getting a job there.

Thanks for the input Aberzombie. Appreciate it.

Do you think I should even consider the JD/MBA aspect in my decision, or is that too far off considering I haven't been accepted to either yet?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:15 pm

quote="Aberzombie1892"]OP, if you want to be in the South, go to UVA. If you want NYC, go to Penn. Regardless of where you want to be, you have a higher chance of not getting a desirable job at UVA. Thus, if you are flexible about location, Penn. Period.Bruce, NYC doesn't have the ties requirements that almost all other markets have. Therefore, it doesn't matter that the OP does not have ties to NYC when it comes to getting a job there.
[/quote]

What you're failing to tell him is that regardless of ties, once you are below a certain GPA threshold the NYC firms auto reject you regardless. If that happens to him he will be stuck having to go for jobs in his home market, the South, but if he's at Penn he will not have access to the firms he desparately needs to be employed. For someone form the South, barring HYS, UVA is their best shot at landing a desirable job.

Although people are very focused on the fact that NYC has the most jobs, they tend to brush over the fact that these firms are mega firms that have hard line GPA cutoffs. Sure going to Penn or CCN or whatever will help you if you are above median looking at the Vault 10. Those firms will be more flexible with Penn students than with UVA. But once you get below the median they don't really seem to differentiate/care. 3.1 at UVA or Penn, yeah NYC biglaw probably isn't happening. That's when you'e in big trouble for NYC regardless.

abccc wrote:Thanks for the input Aberzombie. Appreciate it.Do you think I should even consider the JD/MBA aspect in my decision, or is that too far off considering I haven't been accepted to either yet?
[\

If you go to Penn you put yourself in the very dangerous position of having grades too low to work in NYC and not having a school that puts you in a position to interview where you have the best shot at getting a job. That's a TERRIBLE spot to be in.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:19 pm

Penn.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:50 pm

Bruce, I'm sure that there are scores of non-NLJ corporate firms in NYC that would kill for a Penn grad. I'm also sure that there are many non-NLJ corporate firms in Atlanta that would kill for a UVA grad. The difference between the schools is that Penn feeds into a dramatically larger market than UVA in terms of both NLJ and non-NLJ firms, and this is reflected in Penn's historical placement. Given that NYC doesn't care about ties, the op could likely easily attain a firm of 25+ attorneys in NYC from Penn. UVA, on the other hand, exists in a region that demands ties for both NLJ and non-NLJ firms. As such, the op maximizes his/her opportunities by choosing Penn.

No one is disputing that bad grades will sink someone. But, any current 2L, 3L, or recent grad would much rather have a 3.2 at Penn while looking for a job in NYC versus having a 3.2 at UVA looking at comparatively small cities in the south. Have you seen rayiner's underemployment thread?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:01 pm

I wouldn't go to Penn. Their reputation has been substantially damaged from the Sandusky scandal.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:01 pm

abccc wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:OP, if you want to be in the South, go to UVA. If you want NYC, go to Penn. Regardless of where you want to be, you have a higher chance of not getting a desirable job at UVA. Thus, if you are flexible about location, Penn. Period.

Do you think I should even consider the JD/MBA aspect in my decision, or is that too far off considering I haven't been accepted to either yet?

Oh jeez go away.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:11 pm

Cavalier wrote:I wouldn't go to Penn. Their reputation has been substantially damaged from the Sandusky scandal.

iseewhatyoudidthere.jpg

Also, 0L HYPOS GTFO.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:14 pm

Darn 0L's with their hypos and loud music.

abccc

Postby abccc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:17 pm

Robespierre wrote:
abccc wrote:

Oh jeez go away.

Sorry, let me clarify. I HAVE been accepted to law school. I meant that I haven't been accepted to the business schools yet....didn't mean to bother you.

Was just looking for some advice?

Postby 20130312 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:34 pm

abccc wrote:Do you think I should even consider the JD/MBA aspect in my decision, or is that too far off considering I haven't been accepted to either yet?

abccc wrote:JD/MBA ... I haven't been accepted to either yet

abccc wrote:haven't been accepted to either

abccc

Postby abccc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:37 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
abccc wrote:Do you think I should even consider the JD/MBA aspect in my decision, or is that too far off considering I haven't been accepted to either yet?

abccc wrote:JD/MBA ... I haven't been accepted to either yet

abccc wrote:haven't been accepted to either

So I take it you are telling me NOT to consider the MBA aspect of the equation when making my decision?

Postby 20130312 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:43 pm

abccc wrote:So I take it you are telling me NOT to consider the MBA aspect of the equation when making my decision?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”