Best school for Florida (not strictly in-state)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Drummingreg

Best school for Florida (not strictly in-state)

Postby Drummingreg » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:59 am

Obviously the consensus is that UF is the best in Florida but is there another school in the south that would place better? My numbers put me in the trough below the T-14 (t20-50) so the "national" schools are out. I am very set on staying in Florida and obviously I want to have the best job prospects coming out of ls. Are there any other schools that would be worth the extra money of not staying state for fl? (i.e. Emory with some $, Vandy with probably 0)

justonemoregame

Re: Best school for Florida (not strictly in-state)

Postby justonemoregame » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:11 pm

I would take UF with their max. scholarship over Vandy at sticker if you are from FL and want to stay there. I would take that over Emory with a small scholarship, too because you would be graduating with still too much debt (potentially, I don't want to make assumptions about your financial situation).

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:11 pm

Drummingreg wrote:Obviously the consensus is that UF is the best in Florida but is there another school in the south that would place better? My numbers put me in the trough below the T-14 (t20-50) so the "national" schools are out. I am very set on staying in Florida and obviously I want to have the best job prospects coming out of ls. Are there any other schools that would be worth the extra money of not staying state for fl? (i.e. Emory with some $, Vandy with probably 0)

UF with money? I don't think that going to an out of state school outside T14 is going to be better than UF to get you back to Florida.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:17 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
Drummingreg wrote:Obviously the consensus is that UF is the best in Florida but is there another school in the south that would place better? My numbers put me in the trough below the T-14 (t20-50) so the "national" schools are out. I am very set on staying in Florida and obviously I want to have the best job prospects coming out of ls. Are there any other schools that would be worth the extra money of not staying state for fl? (i.e. Emory with some $, Vandy with probably 0)

UF with money? I don't think that going to an out of state school outside T14 is going to be better than UF to get you back to Florida.

But don't you think going in with a Florida or bust mindset if worrisome? At least at a strong regional, vandy/emory he'd have some other options?

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:19 pm

Even UF grads are having a tough time in Florida right now. I think I would go T14 and then use my ties to get to Florida if I were you. My friends who are top third at UF are only getting a couple interviews at OCI, and this is having spent their whole lives in Florida. I think they will get jobs through mass mailing or other connections, but if you don't have many Florida connections and you're around median, you're going to have to work outrageously hard to get a job. On the flip side, my friends in the T14 with average grades and Florida connections are finding Florida jobs. So I think the main thing about breaking the Florida market is connections, then grades. But you've got a way better shot coming from a T14, because you could have lower grades there and still get what you want.

As far as which T14 schools would be best, I don't know. But solid grades from Vandy would also give you a fighting chance. Just use your time before law school to really get out there and have lunch with lawyers in the area you'd like to work in. Stay connected with them and go to any events they might have. Make yourself memorable. Networking really works. Good luck!

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Sorry, I assumed in-state at Florida -- that, plus max. scholarship is the ONLY way I would choose UF. And the reasoning is because it may not matter if you get a job as an attorney or not - you can at least service your debt after you graduate.

Vandy and Emory would definitely give you more options, but the price is the catch.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”