Need urgent help deciding!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Should I go?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:50 am

Yes
9
60%
No
6
40%
 
Total votes: 15

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Need urgent help deciding!!

Postby dkb17xzx » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:50 am

Got accepted to WUSTL yesterday w/ a scholly. Dad will cover some as well. Combining those 2 means that I won't be paying any tuition.

Interested in biglaw / govt / clerkship but ultimately just want a decent, well paying job. am also interested in opportunities abroad (no, not "international law")

I have probably outed myself so for those wondering - 3.7/166

Help me out. Reasons would be very very welcome.

ETA: the other option is to take the LSAT again in December (3rd time) and wait out a year. Took the LSAT in June with the same results as the first time (I was PTing in low/mid 170's). I don't want to disclose the entire amount but it's about 85% of the tuition. I'll be graduating with 35K debt.

target markets are NYC / Texas (ties there). but honestly, I have no clue - wherever I can find a good job.
Last edited by dkb17xzx on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Need urgent help deciding!!

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:54 am

Depends upon your other options, your target market & the amount of your scholarship.

If determined to accept, ask for more money.

P.S. A 166/3.7 should have resulted in a T-14 acceptance or two.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Need urgent help deciding!!

Postby Lincoln » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:58 am

dkb17xzx wrote:Got accepted to WUSTL yesterday w/ a scholly. Dad will cover some as well. Combining those 2 means that I won't be paying any tuition.

Interested in biglaw / govt / clerkship but ultimately just want a decent, well paying job. am also interested in opportunities abroad (no, not "international law")

I have probably outed myself so for those wondering - 3.7/166

Help me out. Reasons would be very very welcome.


I wouldn't. If you think retaking would increase your score, I'd consider it. You have a solid GPA, and with a few more points you should be OK for a T14, which should increase your chances substantially for all three things you want. This all depends on where you want to work and what you're alternative is. If you can get some substantive work experience, do it. If your alternative is a lower-ranked school, take WUSTL.

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Need urgent help deciding!!

Postby dkb17xzx » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:58 am

EDIT: made changes to the original post

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Need urgent help deciding!!

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:01 am

Since you are willing to retake & reapply, then that is your best option unless WashUStL is willing to offer 100% tuition & fees scholarship. If your scholarship offer is increased, then you need to realize that you are sacrificing a likely T-14 experience.

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Need urgent help deciding!!

Postby dkb17xzx » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:22 am

fair point. thanks

bump

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Need urgent help deciding!!

Postby top30man » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:26 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Depends upon your other options, your target market & the amount of your scholarship.

If determined to accept, ask for more money.

P.S. A 166/3.7 should have resulted in a T-14 acceptance or two.

You really think a t14 acceptance? Those were my numbers before I retook and it appeared that I had a 10 to 15 percent shot at GULC pt and Cornell and that was it.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Need urgent help deciding!!

Postby lisjjen » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:29 am

It's a tough time to do anything right now. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that it's a slam dunk for you to pick up a legal job. But, the reason I voted yes was because at 35k in the hole, you're walking away with a fairly prestigious degree at the price of a Jetta. Pizza guys pay off Jettas all the time. But you won't be a pizza guy, because if you go work for a nonprofit or something, you'll be a big fish in a small pond with your law degree. So if you really are sure that you want to do it, go ahead.

ETA: I've normally heard of people testing higher on test day than they did on their PT. It might be worth it to see if you have some sort of test anxiety.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Need urgent help deciding!!

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:31 am

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com should help. Apps are expected to decrease further next cycle, so Cornell, Georgetown PT, & Duke is struggling a bit this cycle so we can only guess at how Duke adcomms will react. And, of course, it depends upon OP's overall application packet.

P.S. A quick look at LSN reveals that Cornell is likely as is Georgetown PT.
A LSN poster with a 166/3.7, non-URM, no work experience (just finished undergradute school) had these results:

Virginia--admit
UCLA--admit
Fordham with $10,000
Chicago--waitlisted, then admitted & plans to attend
Texas--waitlist

Northwestern--waitlist

Duke--waitlist
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Need urgent help deciding!!

Postby Law Sauce » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:37 am

I'd go actually. I know there is always the chance to do better next LSAT, but you took it twice and, if you gave it your best, I think you should move on. That is a very good offer and no debt coming out of school is really nice. Yea you could get a 169 and go to a T14 at sticker, but I am not sure how much better that is really, plus you'd have to wait a year (if you are ready to go now of course). No offense, but its not like you have a 4.0 and a shot at CNN or t10 with money (chances are low at least)

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Need urgent help deciding!!

Postby magp90 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:41 am

If you went to a T14 there's no telling what money you'd get, and it might not be worth waiting an entire year. If graduating without debt is important to you, it might be in your best interest to accept the offer and work your caboose off in law school, so that you can open as many doors as possible.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Need urgent help deciding!!

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:43 am

Unlikely to receive scholarship money from a T-14 with a 166/3.7. However, OP is willing to retake the LSAT after achieving two 166s. Even a two point increase should result in multiple lower T-14 acceptances next cycle in addition to substantial scholarship offers from T-25 law schools. Regardless, WashUStL with an 85% or better tuition & fees scholarship is a great option for one open geographically.

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Need urgent help deciding!!

Postby dkb17xzx » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:09 pm

Some very valid points and also the ones I've been struggling with. Maybe someone here can help me with this - WashU competes in an already crowded market - Chicago, NW, ND, Indiana. And I've heard that MO / STL market is pretty insular. Further there aren't many corporations in that market either. What are the options if you miss biglaw? That ABA bimodal salary distribution scares the living hell out of me.

Also wanted to say this - I really appreciate the help. This is a very difficult decision to make as an 0L who barely understands legal hiring / markets etc.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Need urgent help deciding!!

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:39 pm

I've said it via PM and Ill say it here too. Unless you decide to retake, you should take this offer. You are looking at a close to free degree from a T20. The people saying you should be competitive for T14s are wrong. You would have an outside shot at Cornell and GULC, and both would cost you over a quarter million dollars in debt, which is a highly questionable investment.

WUSTL does alright in your home market, and you won't need biglaw considering how little debt you'll have. 30-50k for a WUSTL degree is perfectly fine. Im not saying you must go or something; retake is always an option. But you've got a great offer on the table, and its unlikely to get better given your current stats.

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Need urgent help deciding!!

Postby dkb17xzx » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:I've said it via PM and Ill say it here too. Unless you decide to retake, you should take this offer. You are looking at a close to free degree from a T20. The people saying you should be competitive for T14s are wrong. You would have an outside shot at Cornell and GULC, and both would cost you over a quarter million dollars in debt, which is a highly questionable investment.

WUSTL does alright in your home market, and you won't need biglaw considering how little debt you'll have. 30-50k for a WUSTL degree is perfectly fine. Im not saying you must go or something; retake is always an option. But you've got a great offer on the table, and its unlikely to get better given your current stats.



Yea...this is true. It's an incredible offer and I'm grateful for that. My only concern with retaking is bombing it again and then not having this offer. I'm 80% set on saying yes.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Need urgent help deciding!!

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:05 pm

biglaw?
government?
clerkships?
work abroad?

How does going to WUSTL really help you land any of these goals of yours? Their biglaw rate is 18% and their clerkship rate is 4%.

Retake and reapply, or change your goals.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Need urgent help deciding!!

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Two http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com posters with your numbers are gillps21 & ljbreck. Both applied while in undergrad & are non-URMs. Both admitted to Virginia. One waitlisted, then admitted to Chicago.

OP: Clearly your scholarship offer to WashUStL is generous, but placement is not comparable to T-14 law schools. If you accept, then congratulations; if you decline WashU's offer, then do well on your retake of the LSAT.

P.S. "canitbeereel" is another http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com poster who was waitlisted at multiple T-14s with your numbers. Unfortunately, this LSN poster did not give any updates.

User avatar
taxnstuff
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:39 am

Re: Need urgent help deciding!!

Postby taxnstuff » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:25 pm

Really depends on how much you value a year of your life retrying for a chance at better results vs. 35k and giving up said chance for better results (t14).




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], WinterComing and 3 guests