Duke or UPenn Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Duke or UPenn

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:21 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
JJW wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
JJW wrote:COL. Nothing is cheap in Philly. Nothing.
Philly is a lot cheaper than NYC, DC, SF, LA, etc...
I would never use the word cheap attached to Philly. But yes, NYC, DC, SF, LA, Honolulu and the Hamptons are more expensive. Certainly nothing in the south comes close to Philly, not even WPB.
Philly is inexpensive as far as East Coast cities go. It is quite possible to find a nice studio or one-bedroom close to campus for under $1,000. Not Jackson, MS cheap or even Pittsburgh, PA cheap, but far and away from bone-chillingly, Manhattan-esque expensive. Point being, the COL difference between Philadelphia and Chapel Hill is not so big that it should be a factor pushing the OP in one way or the other.
even a little lower

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:48 pm

The COA differential is roughly 3-4k per year. Nothing to sneeze at but definitely not a deciding factor.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:46 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
JJW wrote:
HeavenWood wrote: Philly is a lot cheaper than NYC, DC, SF, LA, etc...
I would never use the word cheap attached to Philly. But yes, NYC, DC, SF, LA, Honolulu and the Hamptons are more expensive. Certainly nothing in the south comes close to Philly, not even WPB.
Philly is inexpensive as far as East Coast cities go. It is quite possible to find a nice studio or one-bedroom close to campus for under $1,000. Not Jackson, MS cheap or even Pittsburgh, PA cheap, but far and away from bone-chillingly, Manhattan-esque expensive. Point being, the COL difference between Philadelphia and Chapel Hill is not so big that it should be a factor pushing the OP in one way or the other.
even a little lower
TBF, that's in a kinda lousy area.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:34 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
JJW wrote: I would never use the word cheap attached to Philly. But yes, NYC, DC, SF, LA, Honolulu and the Hamptons are more expensive. Certainly nothing in the south comes close to Philly, not even WPB.
even a little lower
TBF, that's in a kinda lousy area.
yeah, I don't know Philly at all.

OTOH, Durham is SPS throughout

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:17 am

The hell does SPS mean? God I hate pointless abbreviation. It does not take that much longer to write out what you mean to say.

Also if you are living in Chapel Hill you are living too far away from the school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PaulKriske

Bronze

Post by PaulKriske » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:28 am

Bosque wrote:The hell does SPS mean? God I hate pointless abbreviation. It does not take that much longer to write out what you mean to say.

Also if you are living in Chapel Hill you are living too far away from the school.

shit, pure shit.

and whotf lives in chapel hill for duke?!

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:51 am

PaulKriske wrote:
Bosque wrote:The hell does SPS mean? God I hate pointless abbreviation. It does not take that much longer to write out what you mean to say.

shit, pure shit.

Agreed, that's way farther than necessary. There's plenty of cheap housing to be had right here in Durham. This city is very inexpensive (at least compared to NYC).

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:48 pm

PaulKriske wrote:

shit, pure shit.

I figured it was something like that. Area I lived in Durham was nice, so gonna say that assertion is false too.

JJW

New

Post by JJW » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:06 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Not Jackson, MS cheap or even Pittsburgh, PA cheap . . .
Strangely enough a Pitt firm suddenly popped up on my radar. Were you using Pitt as an anecdotal example or from personal experience? On the net the COL difference is 22%, meaning $100K in Pitt = $128K in Philly. Sound right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:29 pm

JJW wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Not Jackson, MS cheap or even Pittsburgh, PA cheap . . .
Strangely enough a Pitt firm suddenly popped up on my radar. Were you using Pitt as an anecdotal example or from personal experience? On the net the COL difference is 22%, meaning $100K in Pitt = $128K in Philly. Sound right?
Both. And that sounds like a reasonable comparison.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”