Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one

Cardozo 39k scholarship
8
22%
BC 14k scholarship
29
78%
 
Total votes: 37

User avatar
hob12
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:09 pm

Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby hob12 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:25 pm

So I just got pulled from the wait list of Boston College this morning with a 14k/yr scholarship. My current plans are to attend Cardozo with a 39k/yr scholarship. I am supposed to move in Thursday.
Boston college is 43,000 a year so, 29k a year, so 87k total debt.
Cardozo is 49,400 a year, so 10k a year, 30k total debt.
I have no undergrad debt and my parents are paying for living expenses, these are total amounts.
I'm from the Philly area and would ideally like to end up in DC. I know with my options this is not very likely right after graduation. I do not mind working locally after graduation.
I'm interested in working for the federal government at some point, or something somewhat policy related.
BC has better job stats but idk if it's worth triple the price and changing all my plans overnight.

Input appreciated.
Last edited by hob12 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby rebexness » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:29 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JetsFan1990
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:41 am

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby JetsFan1990 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:30 pm

If biglaw is of no concern to you, I would go Cardozo.

FWIW, I disagree. I think attending either of these schools at those prices is justfiable.

User avatar
taxnstuff
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:39 am

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby taxnstuff » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:34 pm

30k from cardozo isnt a terrible option nor is BC with 87k, but from what you've stated you want to do I would sit out and re-take/re-apply and try for a school that places better in DC (GWU with $$, GULC at minimum)

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby sunynp » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:47 pm

Have you asked cardozo for more money yet? Get on that if you havent.
But neither school is likely to take you where you want to be.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:51 pm

If you want DC biglaw or FedGov, you need to retake and reapply.

Of your options, BC is the best because of the 26% chance at biglaw and regional reputation in the Northeast.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby rickgrimes69 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:56 pm

$90k for BC isn't outrageous but it's more than I'd want to pay. $30k for Dozo is a decent price but you have less chance of finding legal work in general. Basically, assume BC will probably land you in Boston and Dozo will land you in NYC, so go where you want to work (though it'll be easier to bring BC to NYC than Dozo to Boston). Don't count on Fed work from either.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby Br3v » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:01 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:If you want DC biglaw or FedGov, you need to retake and reapply.

Of your options, BC is the best because of the 26% chance at biglaw and regional reputation in the Northeast.


The 26 percent part is the underlying message of this post OP. Take that percentage for what its worth. Do you want a 3/4 shot at not getting it? Are you ok risking that? The answer will tell you what to do.

TLSwag
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby TLSwag » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:52 pm

scholarship from BC with a 3.66/161 - damnnnnn this cycle is really outrageous.

you need to retake w/ that GPA.

User avatar
hob12
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby hob12 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:07 pm

I forgot to mention the stipulation on the scholarships are top 80 for cardozo and nothing for BC. Also retake is not an option because my parents will pay for housing only if I go next year because it fits into their retirement plan. I don't mind not doing big law, I just want a full time job after graduation.

TLSwag
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby TLSwag » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:10 pm

hob12 wrote:I forgot to mention the stipulation on the scholarships are top 80 for cardozo and nothing for BC. Also retake is not an option because my parents will pay for housing only if I go next year because it fits into their retirement plan. I don't mind not doing big law, I just want a full time job after graduation.


if it must be this year, i guess BC is TCR. but i think you should try to leverage a full ride out of cardozo, then you can possibly ask BC for more $$...

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby top30man » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:11 pm

If parents are paying for housing Cardozo is almost no risk. BC is still 90k plus interest. Try to negotiate Cardozo up to a full ride using the BC offer but take it either way.

TLSwag
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby TLSwag » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:17 pm

top30man wrote:If parents are paying for housing Cardozo is almost no risk. BC is still 90k plus interest. Try to negotiate Cardozo up to a full ride using the BC offer but take it either way.


maybe i had a RC fail but i interpreted OP's situation as BC being 60K more then Dozo, not 90. pretty big difference, but either way we are def in agreement that OP should request more $$ from dozo

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby top30man » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:21 pm

TLSwag wrote:
top30man wrote:If parents are paying for housing Cardozo is almost no risk. BC is still 90k plus interest. Try to negotiate Cardozo up to a full ride using the BC offer but take it either way.


maybe i had a RC fail but i interpreted OP's situation as BC being 60K more then Dozo, not 90. pretty big difference, but either way we are def in agreement that OP should request more $$ from dozo

If its 60 then it might be better to do BC. But 90 is too much of a difference for the still not spectacular job prospects.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby Nova » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:22 pm

IMO, BC is worth 60k more than Cardozo. BCs placement blows Dozos out of the water.
BC wrote:•68.4% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs.
•75.1% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•83.5% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

--LinkRemoved--
Cardozo wrote:•51.8% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs.
•61.3% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•60.5% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

--LinkRemoved--

TLSwag
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby TLSwag » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:26 am

Nova wrote:IMO, BC is worth 60k more than Cardozo. BCs placement blows Dozos out of the water.
BC wrote:•68.4% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs.
•75.1% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•83.5% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

--LinkRemoved--
Cardozo wrote:•51.8% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs.
•61.3% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•60.5% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

--LinkRemoved--


+1

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby flem » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:32 am

If you have to go this year, BC. Not close.

User avatar
hob12
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby hob12 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:13 pm

flem wrote:If you have to go this year, BC. Not close.

Even with the increased tuition? I have ties to the tri state area with family in NY and north jersey and none to Boston. It's just a bit werid that I'm considering not moving into my apartment tomorrow.

TLSwag
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby TLSwag » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:21 pm

hob12 wrote:
flem wrote:If you have to go this year, BC. Not close.

Even with the increased tuition? I have ties to the tri state area with family in NY and north jersey and none to Boston. It's just a bit werid that I'm considering not moving into my apartment tomorrow.


those ties in NY will only help your cause at BC (i.e. open up another market for you). the employment statistics at dozo are pretty atrocious, as Nova pointed out, and BC's are much better. it is definitely your call in the end, and if you know you want NYC, perhaps dozo could be the better choice, but on a strict cost-benefit analysis, it REALLY REALLY is not worth foregoing BC for $60K. that is why we are advising you to ask dozo for more $$. If you can eradicate that extra 30K of debt from Dozo, stretching the COA difference from 60--> 90, that is more feasible.

it really is a personal decision. idk how risk-adverse you are but i would not forego 3 years of my life to go to dozo, even to come out debt-free. then again, i want big law and better then a coin-flip chance at actual legal employment. i think 90K for BC is sort of feasible (again not really IDEAL but depending on how risk-adverse you are, its really not a terrible option) but if you are interested in PI, for example, this could be a diff story.

EDIT: did you apply to brooklyn? they seem to be offering better scholarship awards then dozo this cycle, and as i am sure you know, they are nothing more then peer schools. you could even qualify for that living stipend. they are extremely receptive to negotiation as well.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby flem » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:25 pm

hob12 wrote:Even with the increased tuition? I have ties to the tri state area with family in NY and north jersey and none to Boston. It's just a bit werid that I'm considering not moving into my apartment tomorrow.


Yeah, Cardozo is a festering TTT RE: employment stats. At least BC is top of the pecking order in Boston (not counting T14s, obvs)

User avatar
hob12
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby hob12 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:04 pm

TLSwag wrote:
hob12 wrote:
flem wrote:If you have to go this year, BC. Not close.

Even with the increased tuition? I have ties to the tri state area with family in NY and north jersey and none to Boston. It's just a bit werid that I'm considering not moving into my apartment tomorrow.


those ties in NY will only help your cause at BC (i.e. open up another market for you). the employment statistics at dozo are pretty atrocious, as Nova pointed out, and BC's are much better. it is definitely your call in the end, and if you know you want NYC, perhaps dozo could be the better choice, but on a strict cost-benefit analysis, it REALLY REALLY is not worth foregoing BC for $60K. that is why we are advising you to ask dozo for more $$. If you can eradicate that extra 30K of debt from Dozo, stretching the COA difference from 60--> 90, that is more feasible.

it really is a personal decision. idk how risk-adverse you are but i would not forego 3 years of my life to go to dozo, even to come out debt-free. then again, i want big law and better then a coin-flip chance at actual legal employment. i think 90K for BC is sort of feasible (again not really IDEAL but depending on how risk-adverse you are, its really not a terrible option) but if you are interested in PI, for example, this could be a diff story.

EDIT: did you apply to brooklyn? they seem to be offering better scholarship awards then dozo this cycle, and as i am sure you know, they are nothing more then peer schools. you could even qualify for that living stipend. they are extremely receptive to negotiation as well.



No I didn't apply to Brooklyn, It really wasn't on my radar at the time. I called Cadozo and they are out of funding. Also I kinda feel like they think they gave me enough, considering I'm below their averages. I'm not set on big law, I'm just more interested in doing something I won't hate.

JetsFan1990
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:41 am

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby JetsFan1990 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:06 pm

hob12 wrote:
TLSwag wrote:
hob12 wrote:
flem wrote:If you have to go this year, BC. Not close.

Even with the increased tuition? I have ties to the tri state area with family in NY and north jersey and none to Boston. It's just a bit werid that I'm considering not moving into my apartment tomorrow.


those ties in NY will only help your cause at BC (i.e. open up another market for you). the employment statistics at dozo are pretty atrocious, as Nova pointed out, and BC's are much better. it is definitely your call in the end, and if you know you want NYC, perhaps dozo could be the better choice, but on a strict cost-benefit analysis, it REALLY REALLY is not worth foregoing BC for $60K. that is why we are advising you to ask dozo for more $$. If you can eradicate that extra 30K of debt from Dozo, stretching the COA difference from 60--> 90, that is more feasible.

it really is a personal decision. idk how risk-adverse you are but i would not forego 3 years of my life to go to dozo, even to come out debt-free. then again, i want big law and better then a coin-flip chance at actual legal employment. i think 90K for BC is sort of feasible (again not really IDEAL but depending on how risk-adverse you are, its really not a terrible option) but if you are interested in PI, for example, this could be a diff story.

EDIT: did you apply to brooklyn? they seem to be offering better scholarship awards then dozo this cycle, and as i am sure you know, they are nothing more then peer schools. you could even qualify for that living stipend. they are extremely receptive to negotiation as well.



No I didn't apply to Brooklyn, It really wasn't on my radar at the time. I called Cadozo and they are out of funding. Also I kinda feel like they think they gave me enough, considering I'm below their averages. I'm not set on big law, I'm just more interested in doing something I won't hate.


I don't know, man. It sounds like you're looking for a reason to go Cardozo since you've already made the plans to go there (entirely understandable.) Still, I think the general consensus ITT is right. BC.

Bankrupt257
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:31 pm

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby Bankrupt257 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:24 pm

This is the last time you will ever go to school.

I would go with prestige + employment opportunities = BC

Also, if you go to dozo, you will be fighting for the Mega-Glutted NYC market with a lower-tiered degree...

Again..this is the last time (more than likely) you will be in school.

**BTW, according to the WSJ, Georgetown is still taking apps for September start

TLSwag
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby TLSwag » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Bankrupt257 wrote:This is the last time you will ever go to school.

I would go with prestige + employment opportunities = BC

Also, if you go to dozo, you will be fighting for the Mega-Glutted NYC market with a lower-tiered degree...

Again..this is the last time (more than likely) you will be in school.

**BTW, according to the WSJ, Georgetown is still taking apps for September start


That ain't happening with a 161

JetsFan1990
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:41 am

Re: Cardozo/ BC, need to decide by tomorrow.

Postby JetsFan1990 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:39 pm

TLSwag wrote:
Bankrupt257 wrote:This is the last time you will ever go to school.

I would go with prestige + employment opportunities = BC

Also, if you go to dozo, you will be fighting for the Mega-Glutted NYC market with a lower-tiered degree...

Again..this is the last time (more than likely) you will be in school.

**BTW, according to the WSJ, Georgetown is still taking apps for September start


That ain't happening with a 161


TLSwag is quick to defend his new alma mater 8) . He just got taken off the waitlist himself.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative, carlos_danger and 4 guests