Decisions decisions...schools and cities

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ironbmike

Decisions decisions...schools and cities

Postby ironbmike » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:15 am

Edit
Last edited by ironbmike on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dingbat

Re: Decisions decisions...schools and cities

Postby dingbat » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:58 am

Retake. Applying early doesn't give much of a boost (if any)

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:59 am

ironbmike wrote:Profile
162 LSAT
3.6 GPA
White male
Graduated from Virginia Tech in May 2011, been working at a law firm since then.

Applying for law schools this fall. My target schools:
GWU (reach)
GMU (target)
Richmond (fallback)
American (fallback 2.0)
Catholic (last resort, probably wouldn't go)

Right now I work in the DC metro region and have worked at two law firms here, so I have some connections. I figure I have about a 50% shot at GMU with my current scores. If I don't get GMU, I really like Richmond. But the problem with Richmond is that it is a different city, and I feel like I wouldn't be able to get back into the DC market (maybe this is a good thing?).

I could retake the LSAT in October and give up applying as soon as admissions open in the hope of getting a higher score. I am fairly confident of getting a higher score, but not certain, because I last took the LSAT in October 2010 so I am rusty. LG was my big problem and I can focus on that for two months, and touch up on the rest. If I really knock out the LSAT I might even have a realistic shot at GWU many schools in the T14.

So, should I retake LSAT? YES

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:52 pm

Thanks for the answers, and I would also like to point out that biglaw isn't a focus of mine. I've enjoyed working for small to medium firms and that is where I see my career going.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:08 pm

ironbmike wrote:Thanks for the answers, and I would also like to point out that biglaw isn't a focus of mine. I've enjoyed working for small to medium firms and that is where I see my career going.

Retake in October. If nothing else, better score improves your chances at the schools you want to go to. There is no harm in delaying until the October results are in

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:11 pm

ironbmike wrote:Thanks for the answers, and I would also like to point out that biglaw isn't a focus of mine. I've enjoyed working for small to medium firms and that is where I see my career going.

Make sure you are competitive enough to get six-figure scholarships then because small firm salaries won't be enough to pay off law school debt.

ajax

Postby ajax » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:45 pm

dingbat wrote:Retake. Applying early doesn't give much of a boost (if any)

Applying early used to give a boost. At present it is in your best interest to retake until you have the highest score possible in your individual case, even if you need to retake the June before classes begin. This is because law school applications continue to decline, and look to keep doing so as law schools are forced to become more transparent with their employment data (turns out most law schools aren't worth attending).

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:24 pm

ajax wrote:
dingbat wrote:Retake. Applying early doesn't give much of a boost (if any)

Applying early used to give a boost. At present it is in your best interest to retake until you have the highest score possible in your individual case, even if you need to retake the June before classes begin. This is because law school applications continue to decline, and look to keep doing so as law schools are forced to become more transparent with their employment data (turns out most law schools aren't worth attending).

To add to that, this year people have gotten offers from schools that initially rejected them after the June scores came out.
A dearth of (applicants with) high scores means schools aren't able to fill up as fast as they used to.
Retake in October and apply based on that score; then retake in February to see if you can boost your score some more.

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:28 pm

Will schools reconsider me if I boost my scores in Feb/June? If I get rejected from a school in the fall would they actually reverse that decision in June and let me in for Fall 2013?

I should also mention that I've already taken it twice:
157 and 162 scores. First time I didn't feel very prepared and it was not really a good environment. Second time I was better prepared but listened to Kraplin and hadn't discovered better resources.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:32 pm

ironbmike wrote:Will schools reconsider me if I boost my scores in Feb/June? If I get rejected from a school in the fall would they actually reverse that decision in June and let me in for Fall 2013?

I should also mention that I've already taken it twice:
157 and 162 scores. First time I didn't feel very prepared and it was not really a good environment. Second time I was better prepared but listened to Kraplin and hadn't discovered better resources.

Anecdotal stories say yes.
If you've already taken twice, buckle down for October and apply based on that score

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:36 pm

Retake. Also, if seeking small-law, only go to law school if offered a substantial scholarship.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:55 pm

Less than 40% of 2011 American U. grads became lawyers. Even if free, don't go.

GMU: 60%. Now that's putting the odds in your favor!!

Obviously TCR is retake, but before that, I would sit down with a pen and paper and add up how much law school is going to cost (add that to your current debt), and then research what scholarships are typically awarded to 3.6 gpas at various higher LSAT scores. If you can graduate from GWU w/o needing a biglaw job, then you're well ahead of the curve.

I don't know what your financial situation is, but actually putting yourself in this sort of position will be difficult with a 3.6.

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:09 am

Hypothetically if I do get into GMU and Richmond, would it be better to do GMU sticker or Richmond w/ $$ (20-60K)?

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:29 am

Depends on whose money you're gambling with. Do you like this person?

Seriously, GMU at sticker is not a good idea. Law School Transparency estimates a total debt-at-graduation of 170K for VA residents. The likely result is a job paying less than 60K. I don't know how that works.

Looks like Richmond will still cost 100-120K, plus whatever other debt you bring with you, if any.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”