GULC OR one year off and UVA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
adc7gu

New

GULC OR one year off and UVA

Post by adc7gu » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:26 pm

In at GULC, but told by UVA I could get a waitlist deferral and be accepted in next year's class. No scholarships. Need Quick answers.

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: GULC OR one year off and UVA

Post by rad lulz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:30 pm

UVA son.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:33 pm

rad lulz wrote:UVA son.

Trout et al

Bronze

Post by Trout et al » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Just do UVA

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:34 pm

thesealocust wrote:
rad lulz wrote:UVA son.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adc7gu

New

Post by adc7gu » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:42 pm

Why do people hat GULC so much?

Trout et al

Bronze

Post by Trout et al » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:47 pm

adc7gu wrote:Why do people hat GULC so much?
At near equal cost, UVA is a better option. I guess what you will do during your year off would also be a factor.

adc7gu

New

Post by adc7gu » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:56 pm

If I picked UVA, what could I do in my year off to help myself for job prospects?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:02 pm

UVA

Also, does anyone have a general consensus as to who ever qualifies for deferments from any school? Are these typical like exact median cases that can't be accepted do to already big class size? Slightly lower than media candidates?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

adc7gu

New

Post by adc7gu » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:08 pm

For me it was because the class is filled. I applied in late January and was waitlisted, but I kept trying to get in, and they told me I could have a waitlist deferral. Hopefully all me problems can be solved and someone from UVA drops out in the next two weeks.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:10 pm

adc7gu wrote:For me it was because the class is filled. I applied in late January and was waitlisted, but I kept trying to get in, and they told me I could have a waitlist deferral. Hopefully all me problems can be solved and someone from UVA drops out in the next two weeks.
I think you should hold out a year for UVA regardless. Enjoy the next year. Would you mind PMing me your numbers (lsat/gpa)? If not, no biggie.

Regardless of the choice of school good luck!

adc7gu

New

Post by adc7gu » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:14 pm

171 LSAT 3.4 GPA good softs, math psych double major straight from undergraduate. Applied very late as mentioned above.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:16 pm

adc7gu wrote:171 LSAT 3.4 GPA good softs, math psych double major straight from undergraduate. Applied very late as mentioned above.
I'd ED Penn if I was going to wait another year, but that's just me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:19 pm

thelawyler wrote:
adc7gu wrote:171 LSAT 3.4 GPA good softs, math psych double major straight from undergraduate. Applied very late as mentioned above.
I'd ED Penn if I was going to wait another year, but that's just me.
With UVA a sure thing with the deferment? I would disagree. Though you did say that was just you.

adc7gu

New

Post by adc7gu » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:25 pm

Yea its a sure thing, but I have no idea for other people. Mr. Faulk called me today and offered it to me.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:36 pm

To add a reason: People with work experience do better in the job hunt, so doing Something Else for a year will leave you better qualified for the job hunt.

adc7gu

New

Post by adc7gu » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:40 pm

But wouldn't a year of working before the JD be worth a lot less than a year of working after the JD?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:43 pm

adc7gu wrote:But wouldn't a year of working before the JD be worth a lot less than a year of working after the JD?
I have no idea what you're trying to ask.

Most people at T14 law schools try to find jobs with private sector law firms after their first year of law school. That process strongly favors those who have had work experience, which you can either get some of or get more of with an extra year before law school.

Those kinds of jobs, absent a few rare exceptions, are only available to people right out of law school. You can't get a different, less-selective legal job and then try to apply for them.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:45 pm

adc7gu wrote:But wouldn't a year of working before the JD be worth a lot less than a year of working after the JD?
Monetarily? Yes, if you get a good job, which you may not.

Work experience pre law school will help you secure that good first job at 2L OCI, where basically all of the biglaw hiring happens.

adc7gu

New

Post by adc7gu » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:59 pm

Understood. What are examples of jobs that are easy to get that look good to big law firms?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:02 pm

One thing people are not being realistic about is that the kind of W/E he could get at this point would probably not be the kind that would matter for purposes of OCI. The fact that he's asking whether he should defer or go to GULC now--and seems like his first choice is to go to UVA now-tells you that he's in the typical job position of a recent college grade. I.e. he can't get anything worth putting off law school for. If that's the case it really doesn't matter whether he goes next year or in a few weeks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:04 pm

adc7gu wrote:Understood. What are examples of jobs that are easy to get that look good to big law firms?
Ask the vault 15 interviewer thread what work would impress them or what they recommend. Search first through the thread to see if this has been asked.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:04 pm

BruceWayne wrote:One thing people are not being realistic about is that the kind of W/E he could get at this point would probably not be the kind that would matter for purposes of OCI.
I'm not sure I agree - basically any work experience, no matter the job, seemed to be a boost over people who went to straight through. Not a major one, but it seemed to be a trend and the specific job didn't seem to matter much. 6 years of regulatory work in DC was obviously better than 2 years as a receptionist, but almost anything seemed to outweigh K-JD.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:09 pm

thesealocust wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:One thing people are not being realistic about is that the kind of W/E he could get at this point would probably not be the kind that would matter for purposes of OCI.
I'm not sure I agree - basically any work experience, no matter the job, seemed to be a boost over people who went to straight through. Not a major one, but it seemed to be a trend and the specific job didn't seem to matter much. 6 years of regulatory work in DC was obviously better than 2 years as a receptionist, but almost anything seemed to outweigh K-JD.
From what I saw, basically this.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:14 pm

rad lulz wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
From what I saw, basically this.
i have 2 years of completely random work experience, which is split between 3 places - two six month internships, and 1 year of full time work. every interviewer was like "oh, it seems like you have a lot of work experience." you just need some non-school shit on your resume that you can sell during interviews.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”