Making a Choice

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
YehudaBauer

Making a Choice

Postby YehudaBauer » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Background: 169 LSAT, 3.8 GPA. NJ Resident. White male. PS major. Definitely going to law school in Fall 2013. Family connections to the local legal market--nothing outstanding but enough to most likely get a job if I really needed one.

Decision: Cornell at full price or UT at a reasonable discount. (What kind of scholarship could I get there with my numbers?)

Goals: I want to work in industry someday. As a lawyer, sure, but for a large company not just a law firm for my whole life. The Real Estate, Oil, and Technology Industries all interest me. I want to be able to move back to NY or NJ if I want to, however I am not opposed to having a career in Texas for a period of time. Costs matter but so does degree portability. I don't want to *have* to work in Texas just because I went to school there.

What should I do?

Rahviveh

Re: Making a Choice

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:57 pm

Are these hypothetical or have you been accepted to said schools?

If you desire to work in NY/NJ Cornell is a no-brainer. Your career goals also fit better with Cornell, as it has stronger biglaw placement which will help you land an in-house gig working for a large company. I think you're also competitive for at least a small scholarship from Cornell, and the difference won't be substantial.

YehudaBauer

Postby YehudaBauer » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:02 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Are these hypothetical or have you been accepted to said schools?

If you desire to work in NY/NJ Cornell is a no-brainer. Your career goals also fit better with Cornell, as it has stronger biglaw placement which will help you land an in-house gig working for a large company. I think you're also competitive for at least a small scholarship from Cornell, and the difference won't be substantial.

What if I want to work in Texas for a short time, but eventually make my way back to NY/NJ? Part of this decision has to do with how I am uneasy about living in Ithaca for 3 years. I have a few friends in Austin who are loving in it. Plus, I hear the city has a great economy and lots of jobs.

top30man

Postby top30man » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:03 pm

This is a hypothetical. Come back with real options. You can get money at both schools. I had a 169/3.7 and got 60 from Cornell and somewhere around 80 for Texas.
Also, blanket the lower 14 and come back with your results.

akili

Postby akili » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:04 pm

YehudaBauer wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Are these hypothetical or have you been accepted to said schools?

What if I want to work in Texas for a short time, but eventually make my way back to NY/NJ? Part of this decision has to do with how I am uneasy about living in Ithaca for 3 years. I have a few friends in Austin who are loving in it. Plus, I hear the city has a great economy and lots of jobs.

Austin does not have a lot of jobs. It's insanely competitive.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:05 pm

top30man wrote:This is a hypothetical. Come back with real options.

+1

Hypos are pointless. Good luck on your cycle.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:06 pm

YehudaBauer wrote:

Visit both Austin and Ithaca. Do you have ties to Texas? It depends on how badly you want to work there. If you REALLY want to be in Texas, go to UT. But you're sacrificing a big chunk in biglaw chances for that preference!

YehudaBauer

Postby YehudaBauer » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:07 pm

top30man wrote:This is a hypothetical. Come back with real options. You can get money at both schools. I had a 169/3.7 and got 60 from Cornell and somewhere around 80 for Texas.

I know it's hypothetical, but I think the options are obvious. I don't really see the point on going to any other schools besides these two (and NYU or Columbia) as I have no connections to any other areas. I have friends in Austin and family and friends in NY and NJ. Other than that, I have no reason to go anywhere else.

Based on these two schools, which makes sense? Does a UT degree travel well? Does Austin have a lot of jobs for lawyers? Can Ithaca be an exciting place to spend your 20's?

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:17 pm

YehudaBauer wrote:
top30man wrote:This is a hypothetical. Come back with real options. You can get money at both schools. I had a 169/3.7 and got 60 from Cornell and somewhere around 80 for Texas.

I know it's hypothetical, but I think the options are obvious.

Based on these two schools, which makes sense? Does a UT degree travel well? Does Austin have a lot of jobs for lawyers? Can Ithaca be an exciting place to spend your 20's?

You can not assume admission. You very well may not get into both.

UT wont get you East Coast unless you are near the top of your class. Relocating after you start your career is difficult because you have to start your clientel over. Austin has a small legal market. You would likely have to start practicing in Dallas or Houston. IDK about Ithica, but I live in Austin and it rocks.

YehudaBauer

Postby YehudaBauer » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:17 pm

To Nova: I cannot assume still being alive tomorrow, but you have to work within the realm of likely future outcomes to do any forward planing in life.

As for the rest of the stuff, you're probably right. I have no desire to work in Dallas or Houston. Cornell is probably the better choice. Ithaca just sounds like a difficult place to live for three years...

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:21 pm

YehudaBauer wrote:

I know it's hypothetical, but I think the options are obvious. I don't really see the point on going to any other schools besides these two (and NYU or Columbia) as I have no connections to any other areas. I have friends in Austin and family and friends in NY and NJ. Other than that, I have no reason to go anywhere else.

You're not really asking the right questions.

Here are the biglaw percentages (at firms with more than 100+ attorneys, and also clerkships) for 2010 and 2011:

Cornell 2011: 47%
Texas 2011: 31%

Cornell 2010: 80%
Texas 2010: 38%

Ask yourself if that difference in the probability of fulfilling your career path is worth your preference for Texas.

And visit both Ithaca and Austin and judge for yourself whether Ithaca can be a fun place. Everyone has varying opinions. I have visited there and I think it can be a lot of fun!

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:10 pm

You are a lock for UT and will most likely get into Cornell with some $$. It's also likely you'll get $$ from some lower T14s. Use those acceptances to negotiate against UT and you should be able to attend for very cheap, which is what it sounds like you want to do.

boredtodeath

Postby boredtodeath » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:24 am

YehudaBauer wrote:To Nova: I cannot assume still being alive tomorrow, but you have to work within the realm of likely future outcomes to do any forward planing in life.

As for the rest of the stuff, you're probably right. I have no desire to work in Dallas or Houston. Cornell is probably the better choice. Ithaca just sounds like a difficult place to live for three years...

I lived in Ithaca for the past four years and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm from just outside NYC and never considered myself a person who would enjoy living in a rural setting, but Ithaca really isn't "farm country". Sure it's surrounded by farmland, but Cornell's campus and downtown Ithaca actually have a bevy of things to do. It's no NYC, but there are plenty of bars, restaurants, wineries, and shops. There's also obviously a lot of outdoor activities to be done. To speak to the cold; you said you are from the NY/NJ area, it's nothing you haven't dealt with before. Sure you get some snow in october and occasionally the end of march, but it really is not that bad.

The area is definitely catered towards undergrads, but there are certainly a lot of things for law students to do as well.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”