Higher Ranking is not always better

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LaMuSayonga

Re: Higher Ranking is not always better

Postby LaMuSayonga » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:20 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
LaMuSayonga wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
josemnz83 wrote:I actually know plenty of UT and SMU grads who are unemployed. The statistics presented in the WSJ, as Nova points out, are not any more unreliable than those on T1 school websites.

As for been able to go to law school part time and teaching: its certainly doable. There are other professionals with even more demanding careers who attend school part time.

Anyway I just finished taking PT 56 and scored a 163!!!!!! :mrgreen: This is the highest score for me thus far!

Going to school and working is one thing. One can always come before the other. If you blow off class to stay at work it only hurts you.

But working two jobs at once, where both could require you to devote your full time to a group of people is a different story. Client matters are not going to neatly arrange themselves around your work schedule. If you work as a legal researcher part-time that might be the way to do it, but you cannot represent clients.

From what I can tell, OP plans on teaching while enrolling as a part-time student, not teaching and practicing law at the same time. I assume he will choose either law or education for a full-time career after law school, not working in both fields simultaneously. Or maybe my RC skills are garbage and I'm completely misunderstanding OP's intentions.

OP, if I were you, I would choose UH. St. Mary's does have pretty good job stats for a T4, but I get the sense that much better job options are available to UH grads (at least those at or near the top of the class). Then again, I'm not exactly familiar with the market for immigration lawyers. If your grades aren't stellar after your first year, you can always drop out and resume your education career full-time.

OP wrote:I want to get law degree to practice immigration law. I could keep my job and do law part time basis. I also get 3 months off during the summer from my full time job so I could supplement my income practicing immigration law. Once I establish a reputation I could do it full time.

UH does have a good immigration law reputation so that is a + for the school.

So my RC skills are, in fact, garbage. Awesome.

hookem7

Postby hookem7 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:23 pm

josemnz83 wrote:I actually know plenty of UT and SMU grads who are unemployed. The statistics presented in the WSJ, as Nova points out, are not any more unreliable than those on T1 school websites.

As for been able to go to law school part time and teaching: its certainly doable. There are other professionals with even more demanding careers who attend school part time.

Anyway I just finished taking PT 56 and scored a 163!!!!!! :mrgreen: This is the highest score for me thus far!

Congrats on getting up to 163, OP. If you can pull mid 160s in October then you would be looking at some cash at UH and could even pull UT considering your GPA is pretty good.

josemnz83

Postby josemnz83 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:36 pm

Congrats on getting up to 163, OP. If you can pull mid 160s in October then you would be looking at some cash at UH and could even pull UT considering your GPA is pretty good.[/quote]

Thanks! I still missed 7 on the LG games despite working on them. Any suggestions would be helpful?

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:46 pm

josemnz83 wrote:
hookem7 wrote:Congrats on getting up to 163, OP. If you can pull mid 160s in October then you would be looking at some cash at UH and could even pull UT considering your GPA is pretty good.

Thanks! I still missed 7 on the LG games despite working on them. Any suggestions would be helpful?

Do every LG from 20-55 that you haven't done yet. Honestly, I read the PS Bible and did about 10 practice tests with only marginal improvement. It was when I did 20 (timed) LG sections in two or three days that I started making real progress, and got my score from -9ish to -1 on gameday.
Last edited by Yukos on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

kenji

Postby kenji » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:03 am

vpintz wrote:
BallHog wrote:Basically my point was top 25% is there for the taking and no one has an innate right to it, so to cast doubt in your own ability to achieve that ranking is shooting yourself in the foot.

Simple motivational words... guess i'll go crawl into my hole again...

again...lol just lol

Please stop posting.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:05 am

kenji wrote:
vpintz wrote:
BallHog wrote:Basically my point was top 25% is there for the taking and no one has an innate right to it, so to cast doubt in your own ability to achieve that ranking is shooting yourself in the foot.

again...lol just lol

Please stop posting.

Don't steal my schtick, bro.

kenji

Postby kenji » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:29 am

vpintz wrote:
kenji wrote:
vpintz wrote:

again...lol just lol

Please stop posting.

Don't steal my schtick, bro.

You are the worst.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:37 am

josemnz83 wrote:PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL OF THESE ARE BACK UP PLANS. OF COURSE I'M GOING TO GO TO LAW SCHOOL AND WORK MY ASS OFF AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Every law school applicant thinks/believes this before matriculating into law school. However only 25% of students are able to be at the top. I want to have a back up strategy in case I don't get a job at a firm.

Top 25% is not "the top of the class" at either St. Mary's or UH, if you intend "top of the class" to mean someone who is in a strong position for a biglaw job. Try like top 5% or better at St. Mary's and around top 10% at UH.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”