Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:37 pm

moonman157 wrote:Can anyone speculate on the impacts that the smaller class sizes will have on employment from each individual school? Like,it will obviously be good, but will certain firms still refuse to take below-median Columbia students, or will that change with 36 fewer students?

I assume things are slightly better if you are above the cut-offs since there are less desirable candidates, but probably not much different for those below cut-offs since there are still plenty of above cut-off people to choose from.

Wakelaw15
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby Wakelaw15 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:39 pm

I would be interested to see data from 2008-2011 regarding attrition rates. It looks like there will be several thousand fewer students in class of 2015, and I'd guess that among those who go (especially at bloaTTTTed crappy law schools) the attrition will be higher than in years past.

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby justonemoregame » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:12 pm

Wakelaw15 wrote:I would be interested to see data from 2008-2011 regarding attrition rates. It looks like there will be several thousand fewer students in class of 2015, and I'd guess that among those who go (especially at bloaTTTTed crappy law schools) the attrition will be higher than in years past.


This is something I've been curious about - we might be able to get something from the past few Official LSAC guides. I would also like to see if the percentage of students receiving at least half-tuition scholarships has gone up / will go up. I think this data can be culled from the LSAC guide, too. I may start something on that soon.

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby iamrobk » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Can anyone speculate on the impacts that the smaller class sizes will have on employment from each individual school? Like,it will obviously be good, but will certain firms still refuse to take below-median Columbia students, or will that change with 36 fewer students?

I assume things are slightly better if you are above the cut-offs since there are less desirable candidates, but probably not much different for those below cut-offs since there are still plenty of above cut-off people to choose from.

Yeah, assuming law firms keep class sizes basically the same, I think this is how it'll work out.

Betharl
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby Betharl » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:32 pm

iamrobk wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Can anyone speculate on the impacts that the smaller class sizes will have on employment from each individual school? Like,it will obviously be good, but will certain firms still refuse to take below-median Columbia students, or will that change with 36 fewer students?

I assume things are slightly better if you are above the cut-offs since there are less desirable candidates, but probably not much different for those below cut-offs since there are still plenty of above cut-off people to choose from.

Yeah, assuming law firms keep class sizes basically the same, I think this is how it'll work out.


That's probably true at any individual school that decreases class size, but the overall trend of decreasing class sizes will hopefully improve employment outcomes. I mean, if Big Law hiring stays the same and the combined class size of the t14 drops 5-10%, then a greater proportion of the students in the t14 should get BigLaw (assuming firms don't compensate by hiring more from outside of the t14, but those schools are dropping in class size too, which will mean less "qualified" candidates). This should lead to a trickle down effect of sorts, with more students getting BigLaw instead of working the jobs they would have gotten otherwise, leaving those jobs open for someone else and so on and so forth.

User avatar
HarlandBassett
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby HarlandBassett » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:56 pm

KevinP wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:Oops, I was thinking of the Infilaw Group that owns Florida Coastal and a couple of others, I think.

Looked into it and the InfiLaw also owns Charlotte law school and Phoenix law school (all for profits). One of the Phoenix board members was the ABA president.

What a disgusting system.

i just saw this on a friend of an acquaintance's facebook (really).


Graduate School
Florida Coastal School of Law
International Law
Beginning my legal education.

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby iamrobk » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Betharl wrote:
iamrobk wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Can anyone speculate on the impacts that the smaller class sizes will have on employment from each individual school? Like,it will obviously be good, but will certain firms still refuse to take below-median Columbia students, or will that change with 36 fewer students?

I assume things are slightly better if you are above the cut-offs since there are less desirable candidates, but probably not much different for those below cut-offs since there are still plenty of above cut-off people to choose from.

Yeah, assuming law firms keep class sizes basically the same, I think this is how it'll work out.


That's probably true at any individual school that decreases class size, but the overall trend of decreasing class sizes will hopefully improve employment outcomes. I mean, if Big Law hiring stays the same and the combined class size of the t14 drops 5-10%, then a greater proportion of the students in the t14 should get BigLaw (assuming firms don't compensate by hiring more from outside of the t14, but those schools are dropping in class size too, which will mean less "qualified" candidates). This should lead to a trickle down effect of sorts, with more students getting BigLaw instead of working the jobs they would have gotten otherwise, leaving those jobs open for someone else and so on and so forth.

Yeah, but the point I'm trying to make is that there are still some people at median and higher at T14's that strike out. I imagine those people would be the next ones up to get jobs, and it won't really trickle down at all to lower schools.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:04 pm

Yeah, I don't think this will effect Biglaw in non-T14 very much, but it could have a trickledown effect with shitlaw jobs that the JDs that strike out on Biglaw get stuck with.

User avatar
UtilityMonster
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby UtilityMonster » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:29 am

Anyone suspect that Chicago is taking forever to release its stats because they are low?

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby manofjustice » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:32 am

Anyone know an easy way to make the class size change col I made do the calculation automatically for every row?

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby 20130312 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:45 am

manofjustice wrote:Anyone know an easy way to make the class size change col I made do the calculation automatically for every row?

Excel has this cool thing called formulas.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:46 am

UtilityMonster wrote:Anyone suspect that Chicago is taking forever to release its stats because they are low?

Chicago took this long last year, too, and stats certainly weren't low then. Keep in mind that Chicago 1Ls are still going through orientation because the school is on the quarter system, so if Chicago gets their final stats out a month after Harvard/Columbia/NYU/etc. they're still right on time.

User avatar
jne381
AIPAC Chairman's Council Donor
Posts: 5749
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:38 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby jne381 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:16 pm

This thread should use the spread sheet linked to in the OP of this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194489 or make one just like it.

User avatar
Pathika
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby Pathika » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:11 pm

jne381 wrote:This thread should use the spread sheet linked to in the OP of this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194489 or make one just like it.


https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... nUnc#gid=0

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:54 pm

What T14's are we still waiting on?

NYU
Chi
Penn
NW
HLS
SLS
Duke

Any others?

Wakelaw15
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby Wakelaw15 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:56 pm

newest update: WFU. I give a lot of credit to the school for recruiting a smaller class and not only holding their numbers steady, but actually improving.
3.66/163 medians

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby stillwater » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:00 pm

A reduction in class size is appreciated but lol at "giving a lot of credit"

User avatar
jne381
AIPAC Chairman's Council Donor
Posts: 5749
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:38 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby jne381 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:30 pm

Pathika wrote:
jne381 wrote:This thread should use the spread sheet linked to in the OP of this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194489 or make one just like it.


https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... nUnc#gid=0


Who is the dipshit that fucked up the order?

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:43 pm

jne381 wrote:
Pathika wrote:
jne381 wrote:This thread should use the spread sheet linked to in the OP of this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194489 or make one just like it.


https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... nUnc#gid=0


Who is the dipshit that fucked up the order?

Haha, seriously :P

I couldn't figure out how to fix it easily so I just restored a version from 3:52 today.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby danquayle » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:06 am

HarlandBassett wrote:
KevinP wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:Oops, I was thinking of the Infilaw Group that owns Florida Coastal and a couple of others, I think.

Looked into it and the InfiLaw also owns Charlotte law school and Phoenix law school (all for profits). One of the Phoenix board members was the ABA president.

What a disgusting system.

i just saw this on a friend of an acquaintance's facebook (really).


Graduate School
Florida Coastal School of Law
International Law
Beginning my legal education.


I don't normally suggest such things, but can't you casually strike up a conversation and drop hints that this is a bad idea? It's like watching someone walk off a cliff: it's so obvious that I feel I have a duty to rescue.

The few times I've tried to very gently intervene, the people have reacted so hostilely that any pity I had for them rapidly dissipates. After telling a good college friend (now facebook acquantaince) that BigLaw probably wasn't a possibility out of Cooley Law, he actually said "just because you failed in law school doesn't mean I will."

I googled him recently and see he's started his own firm so obviously I was wrong.

User avatar
KremeCheez
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby KremeCheez » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:14 pm

C'mon, c'mon...daddy needs a -.02 from Northwestern and Duke....

sconnielaw13
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby sconnielaw13 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:21 pm

University of Iowa

Median LSAT: 162(+1)

Median GPA: 3.66 (+.02)

Class size: 155 (-25)

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby shifty_eyed » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:18 pm

stillwater wrote:A reduction in class size is appreciated but lol at "giving a lot of credit"

Especially since they were emailing June LSAT takers desperately to apply in late July to start this fall.

redbullvodka
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby redbullvodka » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:48 pm

Chicago:

167/171/173 (--/--/--)

3.65/3.90/3.96 (-.06/+.03/+.02)

--LinkRemoved--

EDIT: Was added earlier in thread, but class size of 184, which is 6 less than last year's 191.
Last edited by redbullvodka on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby KevinP » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:53 pm

HarlandBassett wrote:
KevinP wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:Oops, I was thinking of the Infilaw Group that owns Florida Coastal and a couple of others, I think.

Looked into it and the InfiLaw also owns Charlotte law school and Phoenix law school (all for profits). One of the Phoenix board members was the ABA president.

What a disgusting system.

i just saw this on a friend of an acquaintance's facebook (really).


Graduate School
Florida Coastal School of Law
International Law
Beginning my legal education.

Wow. Im still how to tell such ppl not to go w/o sounding like a dbag.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests