Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Real Madrid
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby Real Madrid » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:47 pm

superbloom wrote:Is someone/can someone keep the original tally going? It's been a while since the OP has been edited.


+1

If OP is gonna start a thread like this, s/he kind of has a responsibility to keep it going with updates. You can't just bail out when you get only the information that you want.

User avatar
hookem7
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby hookem7 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:47 pm

Ready for UT to post our new medians so I can personally take credit for dragging them down. You're welcome, Class of 2016. They are likely to drop though I would think, the new 2012-13 admissions pamphlet makes no mention of GPAs or LSATs and the website still has old numbers up.

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby thelawyler » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:59 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
superbloom wrote:Is someone/can someone keep the original tally going? It's been a while since the OP has been edited.


+1

If OP is gonna start a thread like this, s/he kind of has a responsibility to keep it going with updates. You can't just bail out when you get only the information that you want.


This is what happens when you left a person with 30 posts start it.

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby justonemoregame » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:21 pm

justonemoregame wrote:mother of god Barry

Enrolled: 296 (includes evening division) LST shows 267 from last year; not sure if that includes PTers.

LSAT: 145 (-2) / 147 (-2) / 152 (0)....are they fudging their 75th!!?!?

GPA: 2.58 i don't even / 2.92 (-.03) / 3.25 (-.01)

kudos ABA



Sorry to quote myself, but I meant to make a note about this earlier. If Law School Transparency's figure for Barry last year includes evening division students, then Barry has reportedly added about 30 students despite across-the-board decreases in its profile. And during a cycle when there are far fewer applicants. And when their profile sucked ass to begin with. Words cannot describe. This is something I've been fearful of - bottom tier schools have no real incentive to climb rank - it's just not going to happen.

Why would Florida Coastal, Cooley, John Marshall, Suffolk, etc. care about a few drops in median? Why not just sign up as many people as possible, and deny some who have truly awful credentials (splitting hairs). I don't know if Barry actually denies admission. They can balance out high-130s LSATs with high-140s.

So you have a couple things at work. You have T1/T2 schools with incentive to climb/maintain rank, since it may influence future enrollment numbers and consequently revenue, and then you have a whole 'nother subsection of schools just trying to sign people up. What's amazing is that despite Barry's horrid admissions profile, their practices probably do not violate ABA Standards (chap. 5) since its wording is so ineffectual.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby 2014 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:32 pm

iMisto wrote:
2014 wrote:
iMisto wrote:I understand ASU made a crazy jump in the rankings, and definitely shouldn't be listed above several schools (BU/BC/etc.), but what's with all the hate? Is it justified? Thaaaanks!

Their biglaw placement rate is basically zero. I don't remember the exact number but I think it's like 5 or 6% which should put them in TT category. Not to mention they are a full 10% below UA in terms of overall placement and have exactly one market to send grads to (Phoenix) which is neither big nor bustling.


Gotcha. Thank you.

Could their ability to attract better-qualified candidates than UoA affect their placement in Phx? UoA is in Tucson, and I know ASU is well-respected in the Phoenix metro area...

I have absolutely NO desire to attend ASU's law school.

Nah I imagine the trivially low big law percentage they have already is about the best they can do in Phoenix. There just aren't that many SAs and a certain amount of them will always go to Arizona people from better schools.

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby iMisto » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:38 pm

^ that makes sense. Thank you.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby 20130312 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:57 pm

Does anyone have (don't laugh) RU-C's numbers?

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby dissonance1848 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:02 pm

Right now the decline in enrollment for 2015 is only about 1200-1500. I hope it is more than that.

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby KevinP » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:04 pm

@justonemoregame
Great finds! I've updated my thread to reflect the changes.

@Regarding Barry:
Isn't there a law against defrauding borderline mentally-handicaped people?

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby KevinP » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:17 pm

According to the following link, Duke's entering class will be 208 (down by 3). No mention of medians was made.
http://law.duke.edu/news/welcoming-new- ... -new-year/

Tls2012
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:07 am

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby Tls2012 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:12 pm

Here is another interesting one.

New England Law - Boston
As of August 14, 2012

Total Number Enrolled: 452 (+67, +17.4%)

Full-time LSAT median: 149 (-3)
Full-time GPA median: 3.06 (-.13)

Part-time LSAT median: 147 (-2)
Part-time GPA median: 3.03 (+.01)

WanderingPondering
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:47 am

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby WanderingPondering » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:36 pm

Tls2012 wrote:Here is another interesting one.

New England Law - Boston
As of August 14, 2012

Total Number Enrolled: 452 (+67, +17.4%)

Full-time LSAT median: 149 (-3)
Full-time GPA median: 3.06 (-.13)

Part-time LSAT median: 147 (-2)
Part-time GPA median: 3.03 (+.01)


That is disgraceful.

chipperjones
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby chipperjones » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:38 pm

Florida-Atlantic, no more spam emails please.

Paul Campos
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby Paul Campos » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:52 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:
Tls2012 wrote:Here is another interesting one.

New England Law - Boston
As of August 14, 2012

Total Number Enrolled: 452 (+67, +17.4%)

Full-time LSAT median: 149 (-3)
Full-time GPA median: 3.06 (-.13)

Part-time LSAT median: 147 (-2)
Part-time GPA median: 3.03 (+.01)


That is disgraceful.


This school's dean is chair of the ABA's Section of Legal Education, which accredits law schools.

Want to guess his salary?

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot.com/2012/06/man-paid-780000-to-run-fourth-tier-law.html

User avatar
VUSisterRayVU
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby VUSisterRayVU » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:09 pm

KevinP wrote:@Regarding Barry:
Isn't there a law against defrauding borderline mentally-handicaped people?


I know we like to disparage TTTs, but let's not disparage the students, brother.

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby justonemoregame » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:11 pm

Paul Campos wrote:
WanderingPondering wrote:
Tls2012 wrote:Here is another interesting one.

New England Law - Boston
As of August 14, 2012

Total Number Enrolled: 452 (+67, +17.4%)

Full-time LSAT median: 149 (-3)
Full-time GPA median: 3.06 (-.13)

Part-time LSAT median: 147 (-2)
Part-time GPA median: 3.03 (+.01)


That is disgraceful.


This school's dean is chair of the ABA's Section of Legal Education, which accredits law schools.

Want to guess his salary?

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot.com/2012/06/man-paid-780000-to-run-fourth-tier-law.html



Unbelievable. What a POS. Ironically, the USNWR has done more for standards than the ABA.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby North » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:37 pm

In twenty years, there needs to be a TLS voting block in the ABA. We'll fix this bullshit. A self-regulating profession should regulate itself better than, well, this.

User avatar
HarlandBassett
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby HarlandBassett » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 pm

Paul Campos wrote:
WanderingPondering wrote:This school's dean is chair of the ABA's Section of Legal Education, which accredits law schools.

Want to guess his salary?

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot.com/2012/06/man-paid-780000-to-run-fourth-tier-law.html

damn. TLS blocked Nando's site?

anyways, Nando also has a post on the guy

Wakelaw15
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby Wakelaw15 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:15 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
superbloom wrote:Is someone/can someone keep the original tally going? It's been a while since the OP has been edited.


+1

If OP is gonna start a thread like this, s/he kind of has a responsibility to keep it going with updates. You can't just bail out when you get only the information that you want.


1. The OP is edited 50 times.
2. I'm a 1L at WFU, all the information here is essentially irrelevant to me.
3. You should probably evaluate your personalty/manner. This is a really dick comment given how much free time I've donated to this thread, which has 20k+ views and is reposted by Paul Campos, where I have zero to gain from this.

User avatar
EvilClinton
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby EvilClinton » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Wakelaw15 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
superbloom wrote:Is someone/can someone keep the original tally going? It's been a while since the OP has been edited.


+1

If OP is gonna start a thread like this, s/he kind of has a responsibility to keep it going with updates. You can't just bail out when you get only the information that you want.


1. The OP is edited 50 times.
2. I'm a 1L at WFU, all the information here is essentially irrelevant to me.
3. You should probably evaluate your personalty/manner. This is a really dick comment given how much free time I've donated to this thread, which has 20k+ views and is reposted by Paul Campos, where I have zero to gain from this.

He started one last year that he actually kept up with. http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=163250

You are the dick in this situation. Just update the OP and everyone will be cool.

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby KevinP » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:40 pm

VUSisterRayVU wrote:
KevinP wrote:@Regarding Barry:
Isn't there a law against defrauding borderline mentally-handicaped people?


I know we like to disparage TTTs, but let's not disparage the students, brother.

My comment was distasteful, but the blame rests on both law students and law schools, and IMO both deserve criticism. Regrettably only law students currently bear the full responsibility.

Wakelaw15
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby Wakelaw15 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:49 pm

EvilClinton wrote:
Wakelaw15 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
superbloom wrote:Is someone/can someone keep the original tally going? It's been a while since the OP has been edited.


+1

If OP is gonna start a thread like this, s/he kind of has a responsibility to keep it going with updates. You can't just bail out when you get only the information that you want.


1. The OP is edited 50 times.
2. I'm a 1L at WFU, all the information here is essentially irrelevant to me.
3. You should probably evaluate your personalty/manner. This is a really dick comment given how much free time I've donated to this thread, which has 20k+ views and is reposted by Paul Campos, where I have zero to gain from this.

He started one last year that he actually kept up with. http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=163250

You are the dick in this situation. Just update the OP and everyone will be cool.


Idiot, he didn't complete his thread (there are 201 law schools, and like 40 in his headnote). I'm updating the thread, but i have a million other priorities and providing a thread with a lot of information here. I'm a dick for spending dozens of hours for free to provide a public service to law students?

User avatar
Mr. Fancy
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:22 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby Mr. Fancy » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:53 pm

I agree 100% with Wakelaw15. He doesn't owe anyone anything. Everyone should be grateful for the time and effort he has given. If the OP doesn't meet your standards, instead of bitching about it, maybe you should create your own

User avatar
EvilClinton
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby EvilClinton » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:56 pm

schrutebeetfarms wrote:I agree 100% with Wakelaw15. He doesn't owe anyone anything. Everyone should be grateful for the time and effort he has given. If the OP doesn't meet your standards, instead of bitching about it, maybe you should create your own

That is sort of the point. We don't need dozens of these threads around. Don't start one unless you are willing to update it.

My last comment was only to point out that is was ironic that Wake was calling out Madrid, who had himself had the responsibility of updating this thread last year.

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby thelawyler » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:02 pm

schrutebeetfarms wrote:I agree 100% with Wakelaw15. He doesn't owe anyone anything. Everyone should be grateful for the time and effort he has given. If the OP doesn't meet your standards, instead of bitching about it, maybe you should create your own


We don't owe him anything either. But there are tons of volunteers more willing to do what he think we should all be so grateful for.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests