Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:44 pm

iMisto wrote:^ So, is UVA splitter-friendly, or do they prefer splitters?

What happens to somebody like me, with numbers clearly above 25%, but outside the median? :roll:



splitter friendly - Not a good shot w/o at least one number at median, esp. the 170

Also, according the Ariz. State thread, their class has about 148 students

User avatar
Dr. Filth
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby Dr. Filth » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:46 pm

iMisto wrote:^ So, is UVA splitter-friendly, or do they prefer splitters?

What happens to somebody like me, with numbers clearly above 25%, but outside the median? :roll:

Below both medians? You're probably out. May I suggest retaking and EDing UVA? 8)

User avatar
presh
Posts: 7967
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Class sizes (c/o 2015)

Postby presh » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:05 pm

.
Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Class sizes (c/o 2015)

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:17 pm

presh wrote:
superbloom wrote:Also, a friend who's going to W&L is saying that enrollment is up this year. Anyone have any info about this?


So W&L was being SUPERSECRET about this for some reason, but now that orientation is over, I don't suppose it matters anymore. Final number was (I believe) ~185. Their target was 133 according to their own website, so I highly doubt it was intentional.


They are fairly generous with schollys, right? err generous with scholarships with stips... I think mine was top 40/50%

User avatar
presh
Posts: 7967
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Class sizes (c/o 2015)

Postby presh » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:41 pm

.
Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Class sizes (c/o 2015)

Postby top30man » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:45 pm

justonemoregame wrote:
presh wrote:
superbloom wrote:Also, a friend who's going to W&L is saying that enrollment is up this year. Anyone have any info about this?


So W&L was being SUPERSECRET about this for some reason, but now that orientation is over, I don't suppose it matters anymore. Final number was (I believe) ~185. Their target was 133 according to their own website, so I highly doubt it was intentional.


They are fairly generous with schollys, right? err generous with scholarships with stips... I think mine was top 40/50%

They gave out a huge number of 100k plus scholarships. That plus their huge ranking bump was probably what convince people.

User avatar
HBBJohnStamos
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:58 pm

For the OP:

I think Cornell said c/o 2015 has 194 JD candidates at orientation.

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Class sizes (c/o 2015)

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:11 pm

top30man wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:
presh wrote:
superbloom wrote:Also, a friend who's going to W&L is saying that enrollment is up this year. Anyone have any info about this?


So W&L was being SUPERSECRET about this for some reason, but now that orientation is over, I don't suppose it matters anymore. Final number was (I believe) ~185. Their target was 133 according to their own website, so I highly doubt it was intentional.


They are fairly generous with schollys, right? err generous with scholarships with stips... I think mine was top 40/50%

They gave out a huge number of 100k plus scholarships. That plus their huge ranking bump was probably what convince people.



dat section stacking

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby KevinP » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:46 pm

USC (#18): 167 (0), 3.69 (0), 188 (-11 , -5.53%)

ETA:
Nebraska (#89): 158 (+1), 3.64 (+.13), 136 (+8, +6.25%)
Gonzaga (#113): 155 (0), 3.27 (-.06), "The 2012 incoming 1L class is smaller than the 2011 incoming class."

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby iMisto » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
iMisto wrote:^ So, is UVA splitter-friendly, or do they prefer splitters?

What happens to somebody like me, with numbers clearly above 25%, but outside the median? :roll:

Below both medians? You're probably out. May I suggest retaking and EDing UVA? 8)


No thanks. lol I was just curious. :)

Real Madrid
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby Real Madrid » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:35 pm

North wrote:
KevinP wrote:Virginia (#7): 170 (0), 3.87 (+.01), 358 (+1, +0.28%)

DAMN. How did they pull that off?


Lololol. You must be new here - UVa's admissions policies and all around gaming of the rankings are legendary.

User avatar
spicyyoda17
Posts: 320
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby spicyyoda17 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:43 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
North wrote:
KevinP wrote:Virginia (#7): 170 (0), 3.87 (+.01), 358 (+1, +0.28%)

DAMN. How did they pull that off?


Lololol. You must be new here - UVa's admissions policies and all around gaming of the rankings are legendary.


Do share - love me a good legend!

User avatar
HarlandBassett
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby HarlandBassett » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:31 am

spicyyoda17 wrote:Do share - love me a good legend!

not saying he was part of it, but he knows how the game is played
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_xHsce57c

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby soj » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:05 am

HarlandBassett wrote:
spicyyoda17 wrote:Do share - love me a good legend!

not saying he was part of it, but he knows how the game is played
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_xHsce57c

Great video. Some thoughts:

1) Why is he focusing on 25th and 75th percentiles rather than the medians, as if UVA of all schools cares about the 25ths and 75ths? This video would have been more informative if he'd discussed how schools game their medians by sacrificing their 25th and 75th percentiles.

2) I know he was ballparking, but the numbers of AA applicants with 170+, 160+, and 150+ are way off. We wish there were 125-150 AA applicants with 170+ each cycle. I would guess that there are fewer than 100, perhaps far fewer. And if there were 150 AAs with 170+, there certainly should to be more than just 250 with 160-170, and far more than just 400 with 150-160, since 170 is roughly the 97th %ile for all test-takers and 160 is roughly the 80th for all test-takers. His point about high AA scorers being scarce and expensive resources is a good one, though.

3) URMs definitely receive their fair share of terrible application advice and often misapply, but I reject his argument that low-scoring URMs ought to apply to lower-ranked schools with score ranges closer to their own. If anything, too many URMs are not ambitious enough in their school lists. URM matriculation rates lag behind non-URM matriculation rates partly because law school is an expensive risk that non-URMs are more able and willing to undertake. He should be encouraging URMs to apply broadly, even to super reaches, so that they can evaluate a full range of options before deciding which law school, if any, to attend. He should be advocating for more fee waivers and reduced tuition so more URMs (as well as non-URMs) can afford to apply and to attend. He should not be knocking people who advise URMs not to attend second- to fourth-tier law schools, and he certainly shouldn't be taking shots at URMs applying to schools where they're supposedly underqualified.

User avatar
presh
Posts: 7967
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Class sizes (c/o 2015)

Postby presh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:18 am

.
Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DaleCooper
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:07 am

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby DaleCooper » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:54 am

Unhelpful post:

NYU's LSAT split is 169/173 (down one point from last year), but they didn't tell us whether the median was 170 or 171.

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby iMisto » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:22 am

Can Cornell please release medians already.... :evil:

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby soj » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:14 pm

DaleCooper wrote:Unhelpful post:

NYU's LSAT split is 169/173 (down one point from last year), but they didn't tell us whether the median was 170 or 171.

Wat, I'd be shocked if they went from 172 to 170. Even 172 to 171 is huge.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:54 pm

soj wrote:
DaleCooper wrote:Unhelpful post:

NYU's LSAT split is 169/173 (down one point from last year), but they didn't tell us whether the median was 170 or 171.

Wat, I'd be shocked if they went from 172 to 170. Even 172 to 171 is huge.

Considering who Chicago and NYU was letting in come April, I'm shocked they were only hit by a 1 point drop...

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby soj » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:58 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
soj wrote:
DaleCooper wrote:Unhelpful post:

NYU's LSAT split is 169/173 (down one point from last year), but they didn't tell us whether the median was 170 or 171.

Wat, I'd be shocked if they went from 172 to 170. Even 172 to 171 is huge.

Considering who Chicago and NYU was letting in come April, I'm shocked they were only hit by a 1 point drop...

Nah bro, they did that last year, too.

ajax
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby ajax » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:11 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
soj wrote:
DaleCooper wrote:Unhelpful post:

NYU's LSAT split is 169/173 (down one point from last year), but they didn't tell us whether the median was 170 or 171.

Wat, I'd be shocked if they went from 172 to 170. Even 172 to 171 is huge.

Considering who Chicago and NYU was letting in come April, I'm shocked they were only hit by a 1 point drop...


It will be interesting to see which schools have the LSAC "certify" the numbers they report to the ABA for the fall 2012 entering class. http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2012/06/19/law ... at-scores/. Something is starting to smell quite fishy with many of these schools reporting almost identical class sizes as the entering fall 2011 class, and relatively the same medians as well after a 15% drop in applications.

ajax
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby ajax » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:12 pm

soj wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
soj wrote:
DaleCooper wrote:Unhelpful post:

NYU's LSAT split is 169/173 (down one point from last year), but they didn't tell us whether the median was 170 or 171.

Wat, I'd be shocked if they went from 172 to 170. Even 172 to 171 is huge.

Considering who Chicago and NYU was letting in come April, I'm shocked they were only hit by a 1 point drop...

Nah bro, they did that last year, too.


Of course they did brah, because applications were down last year as well. And they'll do it again this year, brah, because they'll be down again. That doesn't mean there aren't schools out there pulling an Illionois/Villanova, brah.

User avatar
HBBJohnStamos
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:32 pm

iMisto wrote:Can Cornell please release medians already.... :evil:

I doubt our median dropped.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:04 pm

Interested in numbers on the T15-20 schools (WUSTL, UIUC, Vandy, USC, BU, BC, GW, etc.) Anybody know anything?

User avatar
VUSisterRayVU
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Class sizes and medians (c/o 2015)

Postby VUSisterRayVU » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:12 pm

DaleCooper wrote:Unhelpful post:

NYU's LSAT split is 169/173 (down one point from last year), but they didn't tell us whether the median was 170 or 171.


This is helpful and good news. Splits are more useful for some of us than straight medians.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KeYe88 and 1 guest