NYU v NU with 90k

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU or NU with 90k

NU with 90k
Total votes: 57

Re: NYU v NU with 90k

Postby mr.hands » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:03 pm

90k is a ton of money...

Postby 2014 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:22 pm

chasgoose wrote:
2014 wrote:
twiffy wrote:http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/clearinghouse/?show=compare&sub=jobs

correct me if i'm wrong, but this chart seems to suggest that NU has better placement in large firms. does "large firm" = big law?

The most recent year of LST was a rough year across the board and some have argued that NU weathered it better because it has individuals who on average have more and better W/E and are thus more employable by risk averse law firms when shit gets ugly. Similarly NYU has a certain percent that self select into PI stuff (higher than NU), but its a giant unknown how many of those tried OCI and how many had PI blinders on. NYU is still probably marginally safer as it puts a ton of students into the firms with the largest class sizes, but even at equal cost I see the argument for NU.

About 80% of NYU does EIW...

I bet that 20% non-participants is higher than most of the T14 if not all.

Postby izy223 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:06 pm

im too lazy to read all the posts above. But i received a similar (slightly higher) offer from NU and chose NYU because my parents said theyd make up the difference so i could stay in NY.

I dont regret my decision though i didnt start yet

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:22 pm

rayiner wrote:NYU will make it easier to get into a V10 firm. It feeds into S&C/DPW/STB/etc, which are all V10. NU feeds into K&E, Sidley, Latham, Skadden, Mayer, and Winston, which aren't all V10. If V10 matters to you, and you're willing to work in NYC, then NYU will give you an edge.

In terms of safety net at the bottom, I'm not sure NYU as an edge. If you look at the ABA data, and sum up graduates from 2011 in school-funded positions,[1] small firms (< 50 attorneys), in state clerkships, or people who were straight-up unemployed, the two schools come out about the same.

So, I don't know why you'd pay more to go to NYU when you liked NU better. Ten years down the line, you might feel a little pang of regret for not having that Harvard diploma on your wall. NYU isn't Harvard. It doesn't buy you an edge for the top clerkships, selective boutiques, etc, the way HYS does.

[1] Accounting for the fact that ~1/4 of NYU's school-funded jobs are probably legitimate merit fellowships because they were extended to the C/O 2008 before the recession.

you are really one of the best posters on TLS. The one thing I would caution (and I'm not sure how real of a concern it should be) is that there is a possibility that the people in the lower end of NU's class getting good jobs are disproportionately (compared to the lower end of NYU's class) likely to have legit work experience from before law school. Again, I'm not saying that this is necessarily the reason that NU places so well, but it's something to consider as a possible factor.

I would pick NYU if both options are free, but then again, I don't have a conscience :lol:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”