Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wannabelaw
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby wannabelaw » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:02 pm

I've read a few of threads on this site and realize that no one has a very high opinion of online law schools. I'm considering attending law school this way because this is my only option right now. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on what I could do with the degree if I didnt try to practice law.

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby swimmer11 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Are online lawl schools even accredited by the ABA?

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby Verity » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:08 pm

How much do you pay for online law school?

Might be worth avoiding cold calls.

User avatar
bankruptedcasino
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby bankruptedcasino » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:10 pm

Image

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby Nova » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:11 pm

swimmer11 wrote:Are online lawl schools even accredited by the ABA?


NO

OP, dont waste thousands of dollars to go to a school that is not ABA accredited.

wannabelaw
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby wannabelaw » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:19 pm

Nova wrote:
swimmer11 wrote:Are online lawl schools even accredited by the ABA?


NO

OP, dont waste thousands of dollars to go to a school that is not ABA accredited.



No its not accredited but you can still sit for the bar.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby dingbat » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:20 pm

In the off chance this is serious, let's start with the basics.
Only California will accept an online law degree. If you are from CA, talk to local lawyers about it.

For the other 49 states, it is not acceptable.
However, some states may accept an online law degree from a foreign country (University of Manchester is a good option) in conjunction with a U.S. LLM (which might not be possible online). NY is one state that accepts this, although they just tightened the rules last year.
Find out what your state will accept.

Either way, your employment options are limited. Unless you have solid connections, you are unlikely to get a job, considering how many unemployed lawyers graduate from schools that are known in the market place. Be aware that when it comes down to it, connections are a lot less solid when actual jobs are required.
In all likelihood you will need to become a sole practitioner, with all the risks involved.

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby swimmer11 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:23 pm

Is there a lawl school in your area that you could attend part-time? A law degree earned part-time from a TTTT is better than a TTTTT online law degree.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby crossarmant » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:23 pm

wannabelaw wrote:I've read a few of threads on this site and realize that no one has a very high opinion of online law schools. I'm considering attending law school this way because this is my only option right now. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on what I could do with the degree if I didnt try to practice law.

148

User avatar
No13baby
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby No13baby » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:27 pm

wannabelaw wrote:
Nova wrote:
swimmer11 wrote:Are online lawl schools even accredited by the ABA?


NO

OP, dont waste thousands of dollars to go to a school that is not ABA accredited.



No its not accredited but you can still sit for the bar.


Nobody has said this yet, so I will (assuming you're serious):

You will never get a legal job with an online degree. Do you have any idea how many more law grads there are in CA than there are places for these people to fill? Why on earth would any employer hire someone with an online degree over an unemployed grad from Cal, UCLA, or USC?

I'm not sure why you think this is your "only option," but if it has anything to do with your grades/LSAT being too low to get into anywhere else, you're better off not being a lawyer.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby Verity » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:29 pm

No13baby wrote:
wannabelaw wrote:
Nova wrote:
swimmer11 wrote:Are online lawl schools even accredited by the ABA?


NO

OP, dont waste thousands of dollars to go to a school that is not ABA accredited.



No its not accredited but you can still sit for the bar.


Nobody has said this yet, so I will (assuming you're serious):

You will never get a legal job with an online degree. Do you have any idea how many more law grads there are in CA than there are places for these people to fill? Why on earth would any employer hire someone with an online degree over an unemployed grad from Cal, UCLA, or USC?

I'm not sure why you think this is your "only option," but if it has anything to do with your grades/LSAT being too low to get into anywhere else, you're better off not being a lawyer.


+ infinity

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby Samara » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:31 pm

wannabelaw wrote:I've read a few of threads on this site and realize that no one has a very high opinion of online law schools. I'm considering attending law school this way because this is my only option right now. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on what I could do with the degree if I didnt try to practice law.

If want to get a job other than practicing law, what's the point? A JD is not a versatile degree. Why would they hire someone with a JD to do a non-legal job? They'll think you'll want to get paid more, be unsatisfied, want to leave at the first opportunity and provide no added benefit. Much better to hire the BA who was working during the 3-4 years you were wasting at an online school.

wannabelaw
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby wannabelaw » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:35 pm

Thank you for your responses. I said this is my only option because I can't afford to quit my job or go part time right now. I'm 40+ so I'm not really considering working for a firm after graduation. My sister is an attorney an has a firm so I would probably work with her.

FYI, Maryland will let you sit for the bar after passing in CA....

wannabelaw
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby wannabelaw » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:38 pm

I guess my thought process is if I'm practicing on my own my clients won't ask what school I went to and what tier it was. I've used many lawyers in the past and never asked either of those questions.

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby swimmer11 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:40 pm

Just out of curiosity - how much does this so-called law degree cost?

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby Samara » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:43 pm

wannabelaw wrote:Thank you for your responses. I said this is my only option because I can't afford to quit my job or go part time right now. I'm 40+ so I'm not really considering working for a firm after graduation. My sister is an attorney an has a firm so I would probably work with her.

FYI, Maryland will let you sit for the bar after passing in CA....

Probably? Or definitely? If it's just probably, I don't think it's worth it. If you can be pretty certain that you can get hooked up with your sister's practice and get enough clientele, this is one of the situations where going to a low-ranked school could be a good idea.

However, bar passage rates from online schools tend to be extremely low. Concord's latest rate was 28%. And that's not counting a likely high number of people who dropped out. You should seriously consider attending an accredited law school with a decent bar passage rate. If you retake the LSAT, you could get a full-scholarship to your local TTT, which would fit your needs a lot better.

wannabelaw
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby wannabelaw » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:44 pm

swimmer11 wrote:Just out of curiosity - how much does this so-called law degree cost?



Wow, that's not nice..."so called", especially since I'm considering it

It will cost between $25,000 - 30,000 for 4 yrs

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby Nova » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:50 pm

wannabelaw wrote:
swimmer11 wrote:Just out of curiosity - how much does this so-called law degree cost?



Wow, that's not nice..."so called", especially since I'm considering it

It will cost between $25,000 - 30,000 for 4 yrs


Stop considering it. That is seriously a waste of time and money. Online law schools are traps. If you really want to have a legal career, follow Samaras advice. Work on your LSAT score, and get a full ride to a local TTT.

wannabelaw wrote:I guess my thought process is if I'm practicing on my own my clients won't ask what school I went to and what tier it was. I've used many lawyers in the past and never asked either of those questions.


So because you never did something, other people wont do it? That doesnt make sense. As far as going solo, that will cost you much more money and is super risky. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=187829

-----------

Im not sure if you are implying you want to practice in Maryland, but consider this. UMD, the best and most respected school in the state, places less than half of their class in full time, long term, JD reqd legal employment. UMD is infinately better than Concord, or whatever online school you are considering.

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:50 pm

If your best possible employment outcome is hanging a shingle and praying for clients, you're gonna have a bad time.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby mr.hands » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:57 pm

What are your stats?

EDIT: I'm asking because there are a number of solid part-time programs

User avatar
Honey_Badger
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:57 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby Honey_Badger » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:11 pm

wannabelaw wrote:
swimmer11 wrote:Just out of curiosity - how much does this so-called law degree cost?



Wow, that's not nice..."so called", especially since I'm considering it

It will cost between $25,000 - 30,000 for 4 yrs


Sorry to say, but if you came here for nice, it ain't going to happen--especially when you are asking about non-ABA approved online law school.
As was stated before, if you can't go part-time, don't go at all...
Also, what makes you so certain this online law school will prepare you to pass the CA bar (which in turn will help you pass MD bar)?

User avatar
polareagle
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby polareagle » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:28 pm

wannabelaw wrote:FYI, Maryland will let you sit for the bar after passing in CA....


Be careful about this. Looking through the Maryland Law Examiner rules, it states:

(a) Legal Education
(1) In order to take the bar examination of this State a person either shall have graduated or
shall be unqualifiedly eligible for graduation from a law school.
(2) The law school shall be located in a state and shall be approved by the American Bar
Association.


Now, I do see below that where it says:
The Board shall have discretion to waive the requirements of subsection (a)(2) of this Rule
and of Rule 3 for any person who (1) has passed the bar examination of another state and is a
member in good standing of the Bar of that state and (2) in the Board's opinion is qualified by reason
of education, experience, or both to take the bar examination.


But, as per the parts I bolded above, there's by no means a guarantee that they would let you--they just have the discretion to. From my reading of section (2), it looks like they will be looking at the extent of your legal work experience and the quality of your education in determining whether to allow you to sit the bar.

We're not putting this info out here just to harsh your buzz--you're talking about spending $30,000 and significant time on something that may end up being a dead end--you need to take all the facts into account.

apollo2015
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:13 am

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby apollo2015 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Wannabelaw, have you considered the California State Bar Law Office Study Program? Rather than studying at a law school you would study under a lawyer instead. Studying under your attorney sister's guidance could save you the 30k tuition that you would have otherwise spent on the online law school.

Since you would not be planning on getting much prestige out of going to an online school anyway, you might as well skip the official school portion entirely.

wannabelaw
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby wannabelaw » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:04 am

apollo2015 wrote:Wannabelaw, have you considered the California State Bar Law Office Study Program? Rather than studying at a law school you would study under a lawyer instead. Studying under your attorney sister's guidance could save you the 30k tuition that you would have otherwise spent on the online law school.

Since you would not be planning on getting much prestige out of going to an online school anyway, you might as well skip the official school portion entirely.



Would I receive a certificate/degree at the end of the program?

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Online Law School - How to use degree after graduation

Postby JCFindley » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 am

wannabelaw wrote:Thank you for your responses. I said this is my only option because I can't afford to quit my job or go part time right now. I'm 40+ so I'm not really considering working for a firm after graduation. My sister is an attorney an has a firm so I would probably work with her.

FYI, Maryland will let you sit for the bar after passing in CA....


You could always wait until you get laid off from your current job. (OK, that is sort of a joke poking fun at my own situation.)

What you mean is you don't think you can afford to go part time because you haven't really researched it yet. If you REALLY want to be an attorney there are ways to do it at your age without breaking the bank that will give you a decent shot of actually being able to use that piece of paper. It would be helpful if you would tell us where you live but here is the generalized straight dope.

1. Go to the section of this forum called LSAT prep. Learn how these kids study and spend the time/money doing what you need to do to get your score into the high 160s or higher.

2. Research the schools you can reach from your current location. Depending on where you live there may well be a part time program at a school near you. If there is then look at what kind of LSAT score along with your UG GPA will get you close to a full ride scholarship.

3. Kill the LSAT, get $$$ for school, spend less than you would for an online degree you probably can't use.

4. Profit?

(Assumes this is not a flame.)




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests