Want to work in SoCal - USC, BC, Loyola?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bingbang1025

Want to work in SoCal - USC, BC, Loyola?

Postby bingbang1025 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:04 pm

This is my situation. I'm 99.9% set on USC, but thought I'd hear opinions:

Loyola $90k scholly
BC $65k
USC $38k

Goal is to work in SoCal. Biglaw or midlaw. Have taken LSAT 3 times and retake is out of the question. Family will help with 25% of monthly payments for as long as I need.

Thanks.

Mick Haller

Re: Want to work in SoCal - USC, BC, Loyola?

Postby Mick Haller » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:06 pm

you already know USC is the obvious choice. It's sufficiently better than Loyola to make up for the extra 60k.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:24 pm

USC and it's not even close

27k isnt worth moving like 3,000 miles from your target market to attend a slightly worse peer school.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:33 pm

Nova wrote:USC and it's not even close

27k isnt worth moving like 3,000 miles from your target market to attend a slightly worse peer school.

For SoCal BC is going to be significantly worse. You should only consider BC if you're comfortable working on the East Coast...
Last edited by moneybagsphd on Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:35 pm

There's nothing to decide here. Can't hurt to call USC and ask them for a little more if you haven't done so already, but you're going there regardless.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:47 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
Nova wrote:USC and it's not even close

For SoCal, BC is going to be significantly worse. You should only consider BC if you're comfortable working on the East Coast...

Yes, I completely agree. I meant peers in general, not taking target market into account. Of course, target market means everything in this case.

In OPs case,
USC >>>>>>> BC/BU

If the situation was reversed,
BC/BU >>>>>>> USC

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:05 am

USC if you want to work in CALI, BC if you want to work anywhere else.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:12 am

Enjoy USC

top30man

Postby top30man » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:32 am

dpk711 wrote:Enjoy USC

Agreed but its still pricey. OP, did negotiating work at all? This late, I fell like youd have leverage.

bingbang1025

Postby bingbang1025 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:09 pm

Nope, no wiggle room on scholarships they said. I know USC will still be damn expensive. Unfortunately my only choice here is to live at home (I'm from LA) for all 3 years. I think that with the $15k/yr saved by living w my parents, USC is worth it at $120k of debt (mind that parents will pay for parts of the monthly payment in case I don't have a job). Seems like USC's alumni base will ensure that I'll at least get SOME sort of job, at some point.

partyrock

Postby partyrock » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:19 pm

Loyola 2L here.

This is a harder call than the above posters make it seem. USC is a great school, no doubt better than Loyola, much better. However, is it worth being 120k in debt? I think it depends on what you want to do. Are you looking for BigLaw? Then definitely go with USC, its really your only option. But if you want to go criminal law or government, or maybe even solo, I am reluctant to tell you to take on that much debt. Just my two cents.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:21 pm

partyrock wrote:Loyola 2L here.

This is a harder call than the above posters make it seem. USC is a great school, no doubt better than Loyola, much better. However, is it worth being 120k in debt? I think it depends on what you want to do. Are you looking for BigLaw? Then definitely go with USC, its really your only option. But if you want to go criminal law or government, or maybe even solo, I am reluctant to tell you to take on that much debt. Just my two cents.

do people actually want to go solo? is that a thing?

JetsFan1990

Postby JetsFan1990 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:21 pm

Slevin Kelevra 2011 wrote:USC if you want to work in CALI, BC if you want to work anywhere else.

This. Boom. Done.

bingbang1025

Postby bingbang1025 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:26 pm

I'll still have $60k of debt from Loyola...if it was a full ride that'd be another story. Also, Loyola's scholarship has top 40% stipulations. Not that I'm not confident I can do that, but you never know.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:27 pm

bingbang1025 wrote:

I'll still have $60k of debt from Loyola...if it was a full ride that'd be another story. Also, Loyola's scholarship has top 40% stipulations. Not that I'm not confident I can do that, but you never know.

DUDE no. loyola is out.

top30man

Postby top30man » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:29 pm

TLSwag wrote:

I think it's a bit delusional to think it be chosen above a firm.

partyrock

Postby partyrock » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:33 pm

Oh I didnt realize Loyola put stips on your scholarship. I have top 30% on mine, but I had heard that Loyola got rid of stipulations for this year's class, I guess that is just incorrect. Then USC is DEFINITELY TCR. Enjoy.

partyrock

Postby partyrock » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:35 pm

top30man wrote:
TLSwag wrote:

I think it's a bit delusional to think it be chosen above a firm.

It happens more often than you think. Certainly the exception to the rule, but when you are talking about taking out a truckload of debt in exchange for a risky chance at BigLaw, going solo with a smaller debt payment becomes much more enticing.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”