. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Gunna4Life

New

Re: Georgetown v. Fordham ($$) ??

Post by Gunna4Life » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:17 pm

Isn't the average law school indebtedness around of 75k (or more) at every school?? Including TT, TTT, TTTT?

westcoast

Bronze

Post by westcoast » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:20 am

I don't think you can go wrong in this situation. Both schools are worth the price. I would just decide where I wanted to live for the next 3 years since it probably won't make any difference. I chose Georgetown for the location, prestige, and faculty. Even though it won't make any significant difference in one's education, you have to admit that things like the supreme court institute are pretty awesome. But so is New York.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:32 am

I say GULC for the reasons others have said. 75k for a T14 is a pretty solid deal.
dingbat wrote:I'm also a believer that going to a lower ranked school should give you a better class rank, although how big a difference is debatable (note: 0L here)
Don't take this into account at all.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:55 am

Have you decided, TLSwag??

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:57 am

I am also a big believer in minimizing debt so take this for what it is worth. I would do Fordham over GULC for that reason alone.

That said, Fordham way outperforms their ranking in NYC biglaw so if that is the goal I would have a hard time justifying the extra 75K even if I wasn't so debt adverse.

Either way, I think you are in a great position and can't really go wrong either way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:05 am

Oh, and Loch is a disgruntled -0L that decided not to go to LS because only the top 8 are worth it and spends his time crusading on here now while he uses his valuable pre-law degree working at Chic-Fil-A. (He makes the same argument in Cornell threads BTW.)

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:16 pm

I want to thank everyone for the input, I really appreciate it.

Nova - I have indeed decided on Georgetown. I'm awaiting a final word, but it's actually looking likely I may even end up with a $10K/year scholarship. Either way, I'm pretty set on my first instinct, but it's always good to have TLS back up a decision!

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:18 pm

quiver wrote:I say GULC for the reasons others have said. 75k for a T14 is a pretty solid deal.
dingbat wrote:I'm also a believer that going to a lower ranked school should give you a better class rank, although how big a difference is debatable (note: 0L here)
Don't take this into account at all.
haha ya i wasn't. i know better then that!! TLS has taught me well

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:31 pm

TLSwag wrote:I want to thank everyone for the input, I really appreciate it.

Nova - I have indeed decided on Georgetown. I'm awaiting a final word, but it's actually looking likely I may even end up with a $10K/year scholarship. Either way, I'm pretty set on my first instinct, but it's always good to have TLS back up a decision!
Congrats on your decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:31 pm

top30man wrote:
TLSwag wrote:I want to thank everyone for the input, I really appreciate it.

Congrats on your decision.
+1

Congrats on GULC!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:50 pm

Congrats Swag!

Bosque

Gold

Re: help georgetown v. fordham ($$)

Post by Bosque » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:38 pm

TLSwag wrote:
locthebloke wrote:Neither school is worth it without significant guaranteed cash money. I wouldn't take either for anything less than a full tuition scholarship that's guaranteed. And even then you have to ask yourself whether these schools, even if free, are worth the time and energy invested. With a Fordham JD, how do you expect to compete with Columbia, NYU, Cornell and Ivy grads, which filter heavily into NYC. It's suicide. The NY market is hideously saturated and with students with better than a Fordham JD.

Paying sticker for Georgetown is insane. It's a JD factory. But assuming, as a thought exercise, both schools offer you full scholarship, Georgetown would probably be better. It still has a prestigious name, and nothing is quite as much of a shit-show as the NYC market..

I'd say step back and re-take or don't go to law school. Pretty simple.
ok that's not really helpful homie. my choice is between these and besides you don't know what total COA is. what if i told you due to savings, parent contributions F is nearly free and GT would be ~75K

i'm asking how much more GT is worth then Fordham
Not agreeing with Locthebloke, but you do realize that is not free right? Just because you are not paying for it doesn't mean SOMEONE is not paying for it. Just irks me when people think of their parents money as worth nothing to them, and so not a cost.

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:33 pm

Bosque wrote:
TLSwag wrote:
locthebloke wrote:Neither school is worth it without significant guaranteed cash money. I wouldn't take either for anything less than a full tuition scholarship that's guaranteed. And even then you have to ask yourself whether these schools, even if free, are worth the time and energy invested. With a Fordham JD, how do you expect to compete with Columbia, NYU, Cornell and Ivy grads, which filter heavily into NYC. It's suicide. The NY market is hideously saturated and with students with better than a Fordham JD.

Paying sticker for Georgetown is insane. It's a JD factory. But assuming, as a thought exercise, both schools offer you full scholarship, Georgetown would probably be better. It still has a prestigious name, and nothing is quite as much of a shit-show as the NYC market..

ok that's not really helpful homie. my choice is between these and besides you don't know what total COA is. what if i told you due to savings, parent contributions F is nearly free and GT would be ~75K

Not agreeing with Locthebloke, but you do realize that is not free right? Just because you are not paying for it doesn't mean SOMEONE is not paying for it. Just irks me when people think of their parents money as worth nothing to them, and so not a cost.
Last edited by TLSwag on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:49 pm

spyke123

Bronze

Post by spyke123 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:53 pm

TLSwag wrote:
Bosque wrote:
TLSwag wrote:

wow. just wow. sorry that "irks you" and maybe you are just envious of other people's debt financing situations, but you have NO idea what kind of savings /personal financial circumstances i may have. my personal contributions to financing LS are actually pretty vast due to factors i am not comfortable disclosing on an online forum. and if you must know, i have worked out an arrangement with my parents to pay them back with their contributions (which again is not even CLOSE to being full costs).

i find it asinine that you have the self-entitlement to make that comment. i apologize for using the word free as opposed to DEBT FREE but are you serious man? really offensive that you would have the audacity to throw that in my face without knowing a fucking thing about my life.
chill dude...

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:57 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”