Loyola-Chicago vs. Chicago-Kent

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
arae13

Loyola-Chicago vs. Chicago-Kent

Postby arae13 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:49 pm

I've already paid my deposit and registered at C-K, but I've recently been taken off of the waitlist at Loyola, which was originally my first choice. Now I'm having trouble making the decision and I'd like input from fellow TLSers.

Assuming money is not a factor, tell me which you'd pick and why. I should note that I will be in the part-time program for either school.

And save yourself the time and energy of telling me to "retake," because it's not an option. Loyola or C-K. That's it.

flem

Re: Loyola-Chicago vs. Chicago-Kent

Postby flem » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:51 pm

arae13 wrote:Assuming money is not a factor

Why would I assume that? Money is huge factor, as well as job placement. Both of these schools are expensive and don't have job placements that don't justify how expensive they are.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:52 pm

Saw in your post history that you've only taken the LSAT twice. Retake is still an option. Don't waste that GPA

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:54 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Saw in your post history that you've only taken the LSAT twice. Retake is still an option. Don't waste that GPA

Why is retake not an option?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:01 pm

arae13 wrote:And save yourself the time and energy of telling me to "retake," because it's not an option. Loyola or C-K. That's it.

Both of these schools are festering shitholes in arguably the most saturated, difficult-to-crack legal market for law students in the entire country.

Knock yourself out, pal.

ETA: If I had a gun to my head and had to choose one, I supposed I'd chose Loyola since they sent a whopping 9% of their students to firms of 100+ versus just 5% for Kent. But of course, this hypothetical is ridiculous since no one has a gun to your head, and the only person forcing you to make this terrible decision is you.

locthebloke

Postby locthebloke » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:27 pm

Sigh, I'm sorry OP, but you're setting yourself up for a life of ruin and misery, and I'm not even being hyperbolic. When will they ever learn...

To be blunt. Neither of these schools are worth it, and that is an understatement. Even on full tuition scholarship that's guaranteed they're not worth it. Neither place, even if *free*, is worth the investment in time and energy you'd put in. To say nothing of someone who's not on full scholarship (you). Please understand. Upon graduation you will have six-figure non-dischargable debt and no way to pay it back. You will not find a legal job with a JD from either of these "schools". Your JD will be worthless for job pursuits elsewhere. You will be considered "overqualified". JDs close doors.

You do know that the market mints about 45,000 JDs every year and there are only 29,000 legal jobs the market can provide in a given year. What is your response to this? Are you simply covering your ears and closing your eyes?

You do know that you will be competing against graduates of Northwestern, U of Chicago, and even U of Illinois for jobs in the Chicago market, to say nothing of the jet-setters with degrees from an Ivy. How do you expect to get a leg up on these graduates?

Might I ask what you majored in, OP? And why you're so dead set on law school? Have you ever just stopped and thought about how absurd it is to pay almost 40,000 for a year of "education?" To say nothing of one that prepares you for a field with a horrible job market? Have you thought about how absurd it is that law students are saddled with six figure debt while law "professors" make as much in annual salary?

Please, OP. Reconsider... It pains me to be confronted with people like you...

wiscohopeful

Postby wiscohopeful » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:47 pm

Don't go to either. It is incredibly difficult to get any decent job out of either school unless you are at the top of the class, and that is regarding full time programs. The part timers are at an even larger disadvantage. I am familiar with the market and I can tell you that you are setting yourself up for disaster. Not only are you competing with other regional schools like DePaul and John Marshall (yes you are competing with the top of the class at JM) but you have the powerhouses of Chicago, NU and other T14 schools sending students into the market. As already mentioned, Chicago is still incredibly tough to crack. Save yourself the money (even if you're not personally paying for it) and retake or seek alternate courses of action. Your GPA is too good to waste on part time. Devote yourself to studying, retake, and apply early next cycle. That's all there is to it. It's never easy to hear something like this when you are set on going but accept that people on here may know more than you about the market you are trying to crack and think about it before going down a path that may end differently than you thought at the start.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:04 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Saw in your post history that you've only taken the LSAT twice. Retake is still an option. Don't waste that GPA

+1

You have a 3.8!!!

RETAKE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Loyola > Kent

Return to “Choosing a Law School”