Georgetown Part-Time Program, Should I Go?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nealric

Re: Georgetown Part-Time Program, Should I Go?

Postby nealric » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:30 am

I am a GULC PT alum (gainfully employed in biglaw) if you have any questions. I think people here are far too negative about the PT program. Employers were never "skeptical" in the slightest (my callback success was in-line with what one would have expected from a FT at my GPA), and I found that the PT students actually tended to do better in the hiring market due to the work experience and maturity.

If you go to the local TTT, you will end up debt free with some savings, but your chances of getting biglaw/bigfed/big non-profit type employment are going to be much much lower. You say you want to be in the top levels of the profession, GULC is the easy choice.

jcdjgd

Postby jcdjgd » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:55 pm

nealric wrote:I am a GULC PT alum (gainfully employed in biglaw) if you have any questions. I think people here are far too negative about the PT program. Employers were never "skeptical" in the slightest (my callback success was in-line with what one would have expected from a FT at my GPA), and I found that the PT students actually tended to do better in the hiring market due to the work experience and maturity.

If you go to the local TTT, you will end up debt free with some savings, but your chances of getting biglaw/bigfed/big non-profit type employment are going to be much much lower. You say you want to be in the top levels of the profession, GULC is the easy choice.

Although you may have been pleased with the PT program, it isn't something for everyone. I think the main point of the advice is accurate and revolves around the fact that the PT program doesn't necessarily fitting into the OP's goals, interests, and budget. In this case I agree with many previous posters that going PT is somewhat of a risk (and may negatively reflect the OP) if OP is not 100% gung-ho about the main features the program offers. And keep in mind this assessment hasn't even factored in the burden working 40+ hours a week + going to school places on studying and actually ranking well within the class. Remember: telling someone to "live the double life and just suck it up for 4 years" is easier said then done, especially in August and without a plan. Ranking middle of the class won't even land OP a big-law job. According to NLJ 250 stats, only 30% the 2011 class got one.

TopTopham

Postby TopTopham » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:34 pm

I want to thank everyone in this thread for the advice. And if anyone else wants to chime in, please do, because nothing is etched in stone.

But I've decided to attend. In this environment, you need a T14 name on your degree, and this is my only chance for one.

It means an extra year out of my life, but I'm only 25 so I don't see that as a huge factor.

It means another year's living expense, but if I work part-time I can keep the total debt down to about 75K which is not too terrible.

What I really struggle with is the "stigma" point, but after talking to a lot of people about that, I think it's pretty much a wash: some employers will look unfavorably on evening students, some won't care, some will actually admire them for working and going to school simultaneously. It's a problem but not a disqualifying one.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”