CUNY vs. Northeastern (for law in the public interest)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Verity

Re: CUNY vs. Northeastern (for law in the public interest)

Postby Verity » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:23 pm

Kenji sucks.

kenji

Postby kenji » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:42 pm

flem wrote:
kenji wrote:CUNY is 6k a year tuition. Yeah, that's definitely some life-ruining "six figure debt".

This thread is a perfect example of TLS not adopting their talking points to a given situation.

--LinkRemoved--

You're dumb

35k in tuition debt is not six-figure debt. That's what I said. Try reading. No wait, i'll be immature too: try reading, retard.

Now someone "+1" me so a TLS circlejerk can start :roll:

kenji

Postby kenji » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:43 pm

Verity wrote:Kenji sucks.

flem

Postby flem » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:44 pm

kenji wrote:35k in tuition debt is not six-figure debt. That's what I said. Try reading. No wait, i'll be immature too: try reading, retard.

You're assuming 1) in state tuition 2) no interest and 3) can pay out of pocket for living expenses in New York City

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:46 pm

flem wrote:
kenji wrote:35k in tuition debt is not six-figure debt. That's what I said. Try reading. No wait, i'll be immature too: try reading, retard.

You're assuming 1) in state tuition 2) no interest and 3) can pay out of pocket for living expenses in New York City

kenji

Postby kenji » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:55 pm

flem wrote:

Both are far below six-figure debt.

35-65k in interest on CUNY-level principal debt? How is that gonna happen?

I'm not assuming 3 because my post was only about tuition debt. Goddamn. Read.

flem

Postby flem » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:58 pm

kenji wrote:Both are far below six-figure debt.

Why would you not include living expenses, which most people have to finance?

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:02 pm

kenji wrote:
flem wrote:

Hey guys have you heard the news? law students no longer need to live. or they don't need to pay for it. or something. blah blah herp derp

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:58 pm

OP if are from NC and want to do PI, UNC is the way to go. In state its relatively affordable, and there is a pretty strong PI/government service focus at the school (went there for admitted students day this past spring). I'd say even if you don't care about going to a T20/getting a prestigious job, the chance to go to UNC over CUNY/Northeastern is worth retaking the LSAT for.

Edit: trolling ITT gets a 146. Although the "versatility" of a JD was discussed, nowhere were posters advocating going to a better school called "elitists", nor did anyone say OP could get a job through "hard work and networking". Doing any of these would have bumped the trolling well past 150.
Last edited by westinghouse60 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:10 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:OP if are from NC and want to do PI, UNC is the way to go. In state its relatively affordable, and there is a pretty strong PI/government service focus at the school (went there for admitted students day this past spring). I'd say even if you don't care about going to a T20/getting a prestigious job, the chance to go to UNC over CUNY/NorthwesternNortheastern is worth retaking the LSAT for.

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:11 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:OP if are from NC and want to do PI, UNC is the way to go. In state its relatively affordable, and there is a pretty strong PI/government service focus at the school (went there for admitted students day this past spring). I'd say even if you don't care about going to a T20/getting a prestigious job, the chance to go to UNC over CUNY/NorthwesternNortheastern is worth retaking the LSAT for.

LOL good catch, I meant Northeastern but I'm so used to typing Northwestern on TLS I did it without thinking

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:52 pm

OP, I've just completed three years of law school. Believe me, the JD does not confer some magical analytical thinking ability that you can't get with three years of maturation. At least, it doesn't confer abilities that are sufficient to justify six figures of debt all by its lonesome. Unless you want to be a lawyer don't go to law school.

CUNY in-state is probably your best bet. But you should know that a lot of CUNY students have prior work experience in public interest and so have a leg up on the job hunt. It is EXTRAORDINARILY difficult to get a public interest job nowadays. I went to a T6 law school and the students I know who are still unemployed three months after graduation are disproportionately public interest students. A lot of public interest organizations rely on private law firms, banks, and hedge funds for their funding and when these places took a hit, so did the number of PI jobs. And government budget freezes have not been kind to the public defenders. If I were you I would try to get a job with a public interest organization in New York, move there, qualify for in-state tuition, and only then apply to law school.

You also need an attitude adjustment. Even at CUNY or Northwestern, the majority of your classmates will be private sector bound. Please do not be "that guy" who mocks their career aspirations or goals, because who knows where you will be when debt is staring you down?. I saw plenty of so-called career PI folks agonizing over their corporate firm bidists during 2L OCI.
Last edited by timbs4339 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:00 pm

timbs4339 wrote:OP, I've just completed three years of law school. Believe me, the JD does not confer some magical analytical thinking ability that you can't get with three years of maturation. At least, it doesn't confer abilities that are sufficient to justify six figures of debt all by its lonesome. Unless you want to be a lawyer don't go to law school.

CUNY in-state is probably your best bet. But you should know that a lot of CUNY students have prior work experience in public interest and so have a leg up on the job hunt. It is EXTRAORDINARILY difficult to get a public interest job nowadays. I went to a T6 law school and the students I know who are still unemployed three months after graduation are disproportionately public interest students. A lot of public interest organizations rely on private law firms, banks, and hedge funds for their funding and when these places took a hit, so did the number of PI jobs. And government budget freezes have not been kind to the public defenders. If I were you I would try to get a job with a public interest organization in New York, move there, qualify for in-state tuition, and only then apply to law school.

You also need an attitude adjustment. Even at CUNY or Northwestern Northeastern, the majority of your classmates will be private sector bound. Please do not be "that guy" who mocks their career aspirations or goals, because who knows where you will be when debt is staring you down?. I saw plenty of so-called career PI folks agonizing over their corporate firm bidists during 2L OCI.

Verity

Postby Verity » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:14 pm

kenji wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=190461

let's involve the class...

top30man

Postby top30man » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:25 pm

flem wrote:
kenji wrote:Both are far below six-figure debt.

Why would you not include living expenses, which most people have to finance?

Trolls don't have to pay living expenses. They live under bridges for free.

overunderachiever

Postby overunderachiever » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:51 am

CUNY in-state tuition is cheap, but these people are right, cost of living in NY for you will be the real killer. I go to CUNY, PM me if you have any questions.

kenji

Postby kenji » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:36 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:
kenji wrote:
flem wrote:

Hey guys have you heard the news? law students no longer need to live. or they don't need to pay for it. or something. blah blah herp derp

Hey guys, have you guys hear the news? Literacy is fun!

1: Tuition debt is not six-figs.

2: Hurr durr what bout them living expenses

3: lol wtf does that have to do with tuition debt

If TLS knew how to read, you would see 1 is obviously right. But you have to pick a fight with me by adding step 2(which involves non-tuition debt which is completely outside of my point). I never denied CoL expenses exist and only made a point about tuition debt. CoL expenses doesn't factor into my point because I was talking about tuition debt.

There I even bolded/underlined areas so you can easily find and hopefully understand a basic point. Good luck TLS, hopefully some of you are not complete idiots.

kenji

Postby kenji » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:45 am

Verity wrote:
kenji wrote:

Hmmm i really wanna hear from the three people who said no :)

Ambivalent? Like me?

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:20 am

kenji wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
kenji wrote:
flem wrote:

Hey guys, have you guys hear the news? Literacy is fun!

1: Tuition debt is not six-figs.

2: Hurr durr what bout them living expenses

3: lol wtf does that have to do with tuition debt

If TLS knew how to read, you would see 1 is obviously right. But you have to pick a fight with me by adding step 2(which involves non-tuition debt which is completely outside of my point). I never denied CoL expenses exist and only made a point about tuition debt. CoL expenses doesn't factor into my point because I was talking about tuition debt.

There I even bolded/underlined areas so you can easily find and hopefully understand a basic point. Good luck TLS, hopefully some of you are not complete idiots.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:21 am

kenji wrote:
Verity wrote:
kenji wrote:

Hmmm i really wanna hear from the three people who said no :)

Ambivalent? Like me?

You should talk to the 12 yes people.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:52 pm

kenji

Postby kenji » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:26 pm

lol TLS gets owned and goes to the fallback "i troll u!!!" "u mad?" I love the internet.

And Romo, don't even get me started on the dumb shit you've posted.....particularly about race/ethnicity. Though I'd love to reread some of the gems you've posted :lol:

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:34 pm

kenji wrote:lol TLS gets owned and goes to the fallback "i troll u!!!" "u mad?" I love the internet.

And Romo, don't even get me started on the dumb shit you've posted.....particularly about race/ethnicity. Though I'd love to reread some of the gems you've posted :lol:

It's time for you to stop posting.

Verity

Postby Verity » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:01 am

Kenji has a total of 31 posts and he's already managed to become a notorious troll.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:35 am

kenji wrote:lol TLS gets owned and goes to the fallback "i troll u!!!" "u mad?" I love the internet.

lol dude I stopped taking you seriously almost immediately. I tried to reason with you once and it was an utter failure - I'd find the thread but honestly I just don't care enough.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”