Please help! Loyola Marymount vs. WUSTL ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jaket

Please help! Loyola Marymount vs. WUSTL ($)

Postby jaket » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Hey everyone! First time user here. I'm in need of some advice really quickly, since I have to make a decision in the next few days. Any and all help would be appreciated.

I have to choose between two schools: Loyola Marymount University (Los Angeles) and Washington University (St. Louis). These are the major factors that are making it tough to make a decision:

1. WUSTL has offered me a scholarship whereas LMU has not. After the three years, I would be in about half as much debt if I go to WUSTL instead of LMU.

2. I want to practice law on the West Coast, preferably in SoCal. I recognize that LMU has a strong alumni base there, specifically in LA, yet WUSTL has the stronger reputation (for example, U.S. News has WUSTL at 23, LMU at 51). I know that with the legal market the way it is, I can't afford to be picky, but I've lived in Missouri all my life and I know that working in the Midwest (WUSTL's typical region) is not my ideal.

So what do you all think the best choice would be? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Oh, and if you want any additional info, just ask!

Nova

Re: Please help! Loyola Marymount vs. WUSTL ($)

Postby Nova » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:10 pm

GPA/LSAT? How much $ is your scholarship at WUSTL? Since you have lived in MO all your life, what makes you want the west coast?

Loyola at sticker is a no go. Perhaps they will be willing to negotiate since you have a better offer from a better school.

top30man

Postby top30man » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:22 pm

WUSTL is the way better choice. Though depending on how much money you got it may still be too expensive.

jaket

Postby jaket » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:36 pm

Thanks for the prompt replies, guys!

Nova: 3.55/162. I've traveled extensively to the West Coast (Seattle, LA, San Diego, etc.) and I am very confident that it fits the lifestyle I want (not fiscally, sure, but as far as culture and other factors, its a great fit).

The main thing I'm worried about is WUSTL's reputation (or maybe lack thereof?) on the West Coast, specifically Cali.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:11 pm

If reputation is a concern for you, then Loyola Marymount shouldn't even be in consideration. It is a terrible school. Period.

EDIT: According to LST, Loyola Marymount has more people graduating unemployed than as lawyers. You don't have a scholarship there. Do not go.

Dreas

Postby Dreas » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:30 pm

jaket wrote:I've traveled extensively to the West Coast (Seattle, LA, San Diego, etc.) and I am very confident that it fits the lifestyle I want (not fiscally, sure, but as far as culture and other factors, its a great.

Please, spare us.. we've got enough tourists out here. The last thing we need in Cali is more attorneys, law students, and "actors" (from out of state, at least).

No offense, really.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:56 pm

mr.hands wrote:If reputation is a concern for you, then Loyola Marymount shouldn't even be in consideration. It is a terrible school. Period.

EDIT: According to LST, Loyola Marymount has more people graduating unemployed than as lawyers. You don't have a scholarship there. Do not go.

Loyola in general is not a good move, and is a really bad move at sticker. Sitting out, retaking, and snagging USC/UCLA or UC-D/I/H with $$ would be a million times better, and is within reach.

WUSTL is a great option for the greater midwest, and I assume if you do exceptionally well it can get you to the coasts. Of course, you shouldnt bank on doing exceptionally well.

Dreas, dont be such a cunt :P
Last edited by Nova on Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dreas

Postby Dreas » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:00 pm

Can you honestly blame me? =)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:09 pm

WUSTL student here.

No way I would choose either one if your goal is California, especially if you are a lifelong Midwesterner. Loyola at sticker is a categorically terrible choice, and I would not go there unless I 1) was from the area AND 2) had a huge scholarship. You have neither going for you, so Loyola is out. Re: WUSTL, your odds of landing a decent job in California as a non-Cali native from WUSTL are essentially non-existent.

Why are you so anti-Midwest? Where in Missouri are you from? I'd say WUSTL would be a great choice if you were aiming for KC or STL and had significant ties to the area. Also, how big is your scholarship to WUSTL? Must be pretty small if you couldn't get money from Loyola.

As I see your options now, you should:

1) Retake. If you want to settle down out there, you need much, much better options for the state.
2) Gain an appreciation for STL/KC and the midwest generally, and go to WUSTL, assuming it isn't prohibitively expensive

top30man

Postby top30man » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:21 pm

jaket wrote:Thanks for the prompt replies, guys!

Nova: 3.55/162. I've traveled extensively to the West Coast (Seattle, LA, San Diego, etc.) and I am very confident that it fits the lifestyle I want (not fiscally, sure, but as far as culture and other factors, its a great fit).

The main thing I'm worried about is WUSTL's reputation (or maybe lack thereof?) on the West Coast, specifically Cali.

How much money did you get? But what romo said. Either go for the Midwest or retake.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:47 pm

Listen to romo.

Where else did you apply? What were your results?

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:10 pm

top30man wrote: what romo said.

sunynp wrote:Listen to romo.

+1

joe20007

Postby joe20007 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:03 pm

mr.hands wrote:If reputation is a concern for you, then Loyola Marymount shouldn't even be in consideration. It is a terrible school. Period.

:shock:

How do you figure this?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:06 pm

--ImageRemoved--

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:31 pm

joe20007 wrote:

How do you figure this?

--LinkRemoved--

Check out the Employment score vs unemployment score. Plus, 7.4% of those included in the employment score are employed by the school. Awful.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:31 pm

joe20007 wrote:

How do you figure this?

Law School Transparency. See the ABA data. This is true of a lot of schools and true of most California schools past USC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”