Page 1 of 1

WUSTL at $10k /yr vs SMU no debt

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:30 pm
by zx92027xz
I just signed my lease in Dallas. Moved all of my stuff into this apartment. While filling out the move-in evaluation sheet on apartment flaws, I get an acceptance email from WUSTL (3.93, 160 (!))

I wouldn't mind working in Texas, don't really want to work in Missouri. I have a feeling WUSTL will give me a better chance of working into different markets (coastal, most likely west coast)

Thoughts?

Re: WUSTL at $10k /yr vs SMU no debt

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:31 pm
by TLSwag
zx92027xz wrote:I just signed my lease in Dallas. Moved all of my stuff into this apartment. While filling out the move-in evaluation sheet on apartment flaws, I get an acceptance email from WUSTL (3.93, 160 (!))

I wouldn't mind working in Texas, don't really want to work in Missouri. I have a feeling WUSTL will give me a better chance of working into different markets (coastal, most likely west coast)

Thoughts?


do NOT waste that gpa!

Re: WUSTL at $10k /yr vs SMU no debt

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:36 pm
by SMU2013
Did you apply to UT? If you want to work in Texas UT is golden. However, with your GPA retaking is the smart choice. If, however, you are committed to going to law school this year and you want to work in Texas I would say go to SMU over WUSTL.

Re: WUSTL at $10k /yr vs SMU no debt

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:39 pm
by TLSwag
SMU2013 wrote:Did you apply to UT? If you want to work in Texas UT is golden. However, with your GPA retaking is the smart choice. If, however, you are committed to going to law school this year and you want to work in Texas I would say go to SMU over WUSTL.


there is virtually no reason to be committed to law school for a certain year. unless u are out of LSAT attempts or somethin

Re: WUSTL at $10k /yr vs SMU no debt

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:40 pm
by Nova
You could do so much better with a 3.9+. Retaking is your best option. If you really want the coasts, definitely retake. SMU/WUSTL will very likely not get you there.

If you arent going to do that and wouldnt mind staying in the Dallas metroplex long term, SMU for free is a good choice. WUSTL for only 30k is pretty good too.

Im a little confused on your numbers though. When you say no debt from SMU, does that include COL? Likewise, is 10k a year at WUSTL just tuition, or including COL?

Re: WUSTL at $10k /yr vs SMU no debt

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:22 pm
by top30man
TLSwag wrote:
zx92027xz wrote:I just signed my lease in Dallas. Moved all of my stuff into this apartment. While filling out the move-in evaluation sheet on apartment flaws, I get an acceptance email from WUSTL (3.93, 160 (!))

I wouldn't mind working in Texas, don't really want to work in Missouri. I have a feeling WUSTL will give me a better chance of working into different markets (coastal, most likely west coast)

Thoughts?


do NOT waste that gpa!

Retake. But SMU for free is not a bad deal. Both would be a bad idea for the west coast.

Re: WUSTL at $10k /yr vs SMU no debt

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:32 pm
by zx92027xz
Nova wrote:You could do so much better with a 3.9+. Retaking is your best option. If you really want the coasts, definitely retake. SMU/WUSTL will very likely not get you there.

If you arent going to do that and wouldnt mind staying in the Dallas metroplex long term, SMU for free is a good choice. WUSTL for only 30k is pretty good too.

Im a little confused on your numbers though. When you say no debt from SMU, does that include COL? Likewise, is 10k a year at WUSTL just tuition, or including COL?


I am separating from the Air Force (enlisted) this Friday, and do not have a job lined up. I applied all over the place, paid two deposits (ASU SMU), moved, have listed my house, shut the door on my job. I am comfortable with going where I have committed this fall, and while I am interested in retaking, I never PT'd over 156 (embarrassed face) so I don't want to take the gamble of a year of my life on retaking that test. I didn't enjoy it. I would love a higher LSAT, but I have crossed that bridge already; it isn't happening.
SMU no debt takes into account the GI Bill (with living stipend) and yellow ribbon program. WUSTL gave me $20k, didn't mention stips (searching the admitted student site for details) and the GIB will pay $17,500 and a living stipend.
If I go SMU, I will not try for coasts. I am saying that WUSTL will give me more options outside of the state that the school is located, but (for the time being) I am confident that I will not want to stay in Missouri.

Thanks for the input, even if you do make me feel like a douche for not retaking. :)

Re: WUSTL at $10k /yr vs SMU no debt

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:06 pm
by Nova
Nice! You have 2 great options here. It should really come down to whether you would strongly prefer to live in the midwest rather than the DFW. If you are indifferent, then SMU for sure. Still, getting out to the coasts from either is unlikely with out ties and good grades.

I am a big fan of Dallas (native), so I would personally take SMU no debt.

The stipulation on the WUSTL scholly is good academic standing. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=189178

Their major employment stats are not that different:
WUSTL wrote:•59.3% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number school-funded jobs.
•76% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•71.3% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

--LinkRemoved--
SMU wrote:•63.2% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number school-funded jobs.
•75.7% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•76.5% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

--LinkRemoved--

Re: WUSTL at $10k /yr vs SMU no debt

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:27 am
by zx92027xz
Nova wrote:Nice! You have 2 great options here. It should really come down to whether you would strongly prefer to live in the midwest rather than the DFW. If you are indifferent, then SMU for sure. Still, getting out to the coasts from either is unlikely with out ties and good grades.

I am a big fan of Dallas (native), so I would personally take SMU no debt.

The stipulation on the WUSTL scholly is good academic standing. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=189178

Their major employment stats are not that different:
WUSTL wrote:•59.3% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number school-funded jobs.
•76% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•71.3% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

--LinkRemoved--
SMU wrote:•63.2% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number school-funded jobs.
•75.7% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•76.5% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

--LinkRemoved--

Thanks for the input.. I will keep everyone posted. Might also try to leverage against ucla and nwestern as a last ditch effort to get off their waitlists.
Opinions still welcome.

Re: WUSTL at $10k /yr vs SMU no debt

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:58 am
by zx92027xz
Update to my situation: it appears I will have the 2nd two years paid for, so only $10k total debt at WUSTL.

I will do WUSTL if Northwestern doesn't pull me from their WL today (spoke with their admissions dept today and they said there will be meetings this afternoon to make moves on the WL)

Re: WUSTL at $10k /yr vs SMU no debt

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:43 pm
by TLSwag
zx92027xz wrote:Update to my situation: it appears I will have the 2nd two years paid for, so only $10k total debt at WUSTL.

I will do WUSTL if Northwestern doesn't pull me from their WL today (spoke with their admissions dept today and they said there will be meetings this afternoon to make moves on the WL)


that's a great option for that price. congrats!

Re: WUSTL at $10k /yr vs SMU no debt

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:56 pm
by Aberzombie1892
Simply because WashU is ranked more highly than SMU doesn't mean it's the right choice, even at equal price. I would vote for SMU free over WashU w/$10k debt.

Is there a reason you are choosing WashU aside from the rankings?

Re: WUSTL at $10k /yr vs SMU no debt

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:20 pm
by TLSwag
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Simply because WashU is ranked more highly than SMU doesn't mean it's the right choice, even at equal price. I would vote for SMU free over WashU w/$10k debt.

Is there a reason you are choosing WashU aside from the rankings?


well if OP is not SET on working in texas, i do agree that WashU could open up more markets.

if OP is set on texas, i agree with your reasoning.

Re: WUSTL at $10k /yr vs SMU no debt

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:51 am
by Aberzombie1892
TLSwag wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Simply because WashU is ranked more highly than SMU doesn't mean it's the right choice, even at equal price. I would vote for SMU free over WashU w/$10k debt.

Is there a reason you are choosing WashU aside from the rankings?


well if OP is not SET on working in texas, i do agree that WashU could open up more markets.

if OP is set on texas, i agree with your reasoning.


The facts come down to this:
1. The OP doesn't want Missouri.
2. The OP is comfortable with Texas.
3. The OP wants the coasts, which isn't really feasible from either.
4. SMU will be marginally cheaper than WashU.
5. It's very unlikely that the OP will get Texas from WashU, and it's equally unlikely that SMU will get Missouri.

I honestly don't see WashU being the better or safer choice here. If WashU placed like Vanderbilt or USC/UCLA, it would be a completely different conversation. The idea that WashU will open up more markets than those that the OP already has ties to seems to be misguided at best.

Re: WUSTL at $10k /yr vs SMU no debt

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:47 pm
by romothesavior
WUSTL for 10k is better than SMU with no debt, IMO, unless you are just set on Dallas. WUSTL does fairly well in Texas, and while we're no national power, we are a better bet for the coasts than SMU. Yes, overall job prospects are similar, but if portability is the key factor, then I think an extra 10k is worth it for WUSTL.

ETA: Full disclosure- I'm a WUSTL 3L, but I do a pretty good job of being unbiased on TLS re: our school. I probably tell people to go elsewhere more often than not, but I do think a WUSTL is worth it here.