(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
- Posts: 771
- Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm
ShifferThis wrote:Provided that the legal job market will continue to exist, Cardozo may quite possibly rise to comparable rankings of Fordham or even surpass them...but not by much. I'd like to preface this bold prediction by saying that Cardozo isn't gunning for Fordham, NYU, CLS. They are building their reputation by improving certain concentrations of law like IP and have been furiously climbing the rankings in legal scholarly work and impact. Fordham has the definitive edge in corporate law concentration, but Cardozo is clearly the better of the two in Intellectual Property.
Fordham, which was established in 1905, benefited tremendously from their alumni in recent years evidenced by a 100MM Fundraiser Campaign that was accomplished three years earlier than expected. From 2008-09, the legal job market was being hammered and although it has stabilized in 2011-2012, it's uncertain whether the market will rise to pre-recessions levels as the global economy braces for another recession. Additionally, as you may already know, hordes of law firms are outsourcing "grunt work" to the Indians; technological advances have erased inefficiencies (the need for young associates) in multiple facets of firm operations. Even if the economy were to get significantly better, the new generation of associates will do more for less. Ultimately, all it takes is for one country like Greece to destroy stability and the microscopic chance we have for economic recovery. If that were to happen, considering where the legal job market currently stands, the results can be more devastating than they were in 2008-2009. What does this shit mean???
Well, Fordham which relies heavily on their alumni network and donations will see their older generation (pre-recession) of lawyers and partners be viciously attacked and dethroned by the multitude of T-14's and hungry non T-14's. As of now, Fordham only places 19-20% of their graduates into NLJ250. Of those 20%, how many do you think are NOT paying 2-3K of disposable income for their loans? Very few. These are the breed of associates who seldom reach the status as rainmakers (I'll save this for another discussion). Likewise, it's hard to imagine the other 80% forking over whatever they have left for donation purposes.
This is when Cardozo will likely try closing the gap. Cardozo is only 35 years old. Their accomplishments are unprecedented for a school that young. I don't think it's the greatest school (marginally better than Brooklyn, marginally worse off than Fordham), but it's certainly on the rise. What's driving the school? YESHIVA. They are fiscally conservative, but they have the type of connections that make you salivate: Jewish Power! Yeshiva's endowment is roughly 1.2 Billion Dollars. Fordham University is about 511 million. Yes law schools for the most part are autonomous in program initiative and reputation, but when it comes to funds and financing, the parent university and the law school is inextricably intact. As long as Cardozo remains an extension of Yeshiva University, whether it's a recession or depression, the school will continue to thrive. Most of their donations and funding are sourced from a large body of NON-LAWYERS. I don't think this steady flow of funding will translate to higher rates of biglaw placement, which is one of the key factors for ranking purposes; however, it will enable them to do what they have been doing, and to do it better...which is focusing on their strengths and creating a reputation.
In any case, whether or not Cardozo catches up with Fordham is pointless considering the logistical obstacles both schools face when looking up at NYU and Columbia. I just hope that when Cardozo begins its ascent, that both Fordham and Cardozo will work harmoniously to support each other. That's what it'll take if they want to dethrone CLS or NYU.
more importantly, who GAF?
- Posts: 4118
- Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm
Cardozo Law School:
What a joke bro.
AND providing its graduates with a whole coin-flip fucking chance (LinkRemoved) at actually becoming a lawyer. DeTTThroning CLS in no less than 5 years I'd say.ShifferThis wrote:furiously climbing the rankings
What a joke bro.
- Posts: 9844
- Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm
Mal Reynolds wrote:DROVES of employers are coming to Cardozo.
TCR. From as far away as the mighty Zambezi, employers are coming in DROVES for their chance to interview students from a PREFTIGIOUF school that may one day rise to the lofty heights of Fordham.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 12 guests