What Schools should I be looking at

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nickg415

What Schools should I be looking at

Postby Nickg415 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:45 pm

170/3.35

I am looking for some advice/input on whether I should shoot for T14 no scholarship with ED or be looking at T25 with potential money (If that's even an option). I would like to graduate with as little debt as possible but still have access to major east coast markets.

chem

Re: What Schools should I be looking at

Postby chem » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Nickg415 wrote:170/3.35

I am looking for some advice/input on whether I should shoot for T14 no scholarship with ED or be looking at T25 with potential money (If that's even an option). I would like to graduate with as little debt as possible but still have access to major east coast markets.

What kind of job do you want?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:48 pm

Go to the strong regional in the region where you want to work for as close to free as possible. T14 sticker is NOT worth it (unless you want to work in NYC and get Columbia). I think you (and people in general) should let go of the idea that a school should offer you a shot at multiple markets. Except for HYS students, that's largely a relic of the past (pre 2009 classes).

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:03 pm

http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=spdp0

It would be worth it to throw an app to MVP and NU/GULC/Cornell. I wouldnt ED if I were you. You're looking at good money from 18-30. You can not expect to get a good east coast job from a Midwest top 30, though.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:13 pm

Nova wrote:http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=spdp0

It would be worth it to throw an app to MVP and NU/GULC/Cornell. I wouldnt ED if I were you. You're looking at good money from 18-30. You can not expect to get a good east coast job from a Midwest top 30, though.

I would apply to NYU and everyone below down to 25 or so. Kids are getting off the NYU waitlist this year with stats in your ballpark.

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:15 pm

I would like to practice big law for 5-10 years and maybe go to smaller sized firm but I understand big law is not a given. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems like some markets are picking back up. Is there anything to suggest that big law going to become more accessible in the next 5 years? I have been looking at UVA and Cornell for big law but they would likely be at sticker. If I got some money from George Washington would that give me any leverage to ask for money?

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:16 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:

I would apply to NYU and everyone below down to 25 or so. Kids are getting off the NYU waitlist this year with stats in your ballpark.

would NYU be worth sticker?

chem

Postby chem » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:24 pm

Nickg415 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

NYU would be worth sticker. Cornell is also pretty safe if you want east coast big law. Penn is worth sticker. I could go either way on UVA/Michigan worth sticker. Given what kind of job you want though, I'd basically say Cornell and up at sticker are better than a regional at half price

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:38 pm

Nickg415 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

With your stats? Yea, I would think NYU at sticker is ok if you're targeting NYC biglaw. If other biglaw cities in the US, it becomes less safe. I doubt you'd get in ED at NYU since your stats are on the low side, they would roll you over into RD and maybe WL.

top30man

Postby top30man » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:53 pm

Nickg415 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

I don't think youd have a great shot at NYU.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:06 pm

top30man wrote:
Nickg415 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

I don't think youd have a great shot at NYU.

What top30man said. NYU is very, very unlikely. Your chances start looking up from MVP on down.

http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=kerhx

chem

Postby chem » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:07 pm

If I was you, I would ED Penn ---> ED UVA, unless you have W/E, then I would go ED NU---> ED UVA

top30man

Postby top30man » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:09 pm

chem wrote:If I was you, I would ED Penn ---> ED UVA, unless you have W/E, then I would go ED NU---> ED UVA

Agreed. NYU ED is a waste. Penn is conceivable.

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:11 pm

Are Penn and UVA comparable schools? I was planning on EDing to UVA since they usually get back to you within 14 days and if I get sent to RD EDing to Penn. Is there any benefit to doing it the other way around?

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:19 pm

Nickg415 wrote:Are Penn and UVA comparable schools? I was planning on EDing to UVA since they usually get back to you within 14 days and if I get sent to RD EDing to Penn. Is there any benefit to doing it the other way around?

I don't think so. An early ED to UVA should get you in (w/o scholly obviously).

barneytrouble

Postby barneytrouble » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:21 pm

Nickg415 wrote:Are Penn and UVA comparable schools? I was planning on EDing to UVA since they usually get back to you within 14 days and if I get sent to RD EDing to Penn. Is there any benefit to doing it the other way around?

theyre comparable but Penn is a little better so that would be a benefit. I'm not sure about their turnaround time though, you could get stuck finding out that they either WL or rejected you - which is honestly the more likely outcome - at a point where EDing to uva doesnt yield as much benefit. the nice thing about doing it uva then penn is the 14 day maximum.

Postby 2014 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:32 pm

I would ED Penn on Day 1 assuming you don't have a strong preference for U.Va. (Penn has a smaller class and better placement at least recently) and if they hold you over for RD you can then convert your UVA app to ED.

You are 1 probably 2 LSAT points away from NYU being a real possibility so it is probably a waste.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:50 pm

The answer is probably no, but just in case: URM?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:52 pm

Go to Penn.

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:15 pm

spleenworship wrote:NYU would be worth sticker. Cornell is also pretty safe if you want east coast big law. Penn is worth sticker. I could go either way on UVA/Michigan worth sticker. Given what kind of job you want though, I'd basically say Cornell and up at sticker are better than a regional at half price

Nope I am about as white as they come

2014 wrote:I would ED Penn on Day 1 assuming you don't have a strong preference for U.Va. (Penn has a smaller class and better placement at least recently) and if they hold you over for RD you can then convert your UVA app to ED.

I was getting mid 170s on my PTs and was thinking about retaking. Thoughts on that?
barneytrouble wrote:

theyre comparable but Penn is a little better so that would be a benefit. I'm not sure about their turnaround time though, you could get stuck finding out that they either WL or rejected you - which is honestly the more likely outcome - at a point where EDing to uva doesnt yield as much benefit. the nice thing about doing it uva then penn is the 14 day maximum.

For this reason I was thinking of EDing to UVA first. Are people suggesting EDing to Penn because Penn is seen as having an edge over UVA? Also If i simply held out and simply went RD what are the chances of Cornell I really like their Woman's justice clinic they have but I don't know how likely I am to get off their wait list (which I assume I'll be put on)

Postby 2014 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:21 pm

If you took your PTs under accurate conditions and have realistic beliefs that you can hit 172+ then absolutely retake. If you can hit 174-175 all of CCN are in play and T12 scholarships are possible.

North

Postby North » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:37 pm

Is Penn truly a realistic possibility with his current stats? This guy has my GPA down to the hundredth and my (minimum) goal LSAT. Based on my LSN research, I figured I would be locked out of Penn without at least a 172.

Reading this thread was the best part of my day. Made me LSAT prep like a beast.

chem

Postby chem » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:04 pm

North wrote:Is Penn truly a realistic possibility with his current stats? This guy has my GPA down to the hundredth and my (minimum) goal LSAT. Based on my LSN research, I figured I would be locked out of Penn without at least a 172.

Reading this thread was the best part of my day. Made me LSAT prep like a beast.

I had a tenth higher gpa and 1 point more LSAT. Had no ed. Got WL at penn and mich, in at UVA, and penn called to see if I was still interested, so yes, a chance

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:54 am

This is not 2010. People will be getting into Penn, etc, with 170/3.4-ish. A couple of points on a retake would be nice though.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”