USD ($$) vs Pepperdine (NO $)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cobsss

USD ($$) vs Pepperdine (NO $)

Postby cobsss » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:26 pm

Background: from LA, plan on practicing in LA, have lots of connections in LA, family resides in LA,

Situation: USD is offering a scholarship of 26k/yr with no stipulations...just don't hit the lotto and keep showing need for financial support.

Pepperdine no scholarship - plan on moving out regardless, will be pulling loans.

Please none of that retake the LSAT wait a year stuff, I'm ready to begin my career.

Any input???

Jah'rakal

Re: USD ($$) vs Pepperdine (NO $)

Postby Jah'rakal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:28 pm

cobsss wrote:Background: from LA, plan on practicing in LA, have lots of connections in LA, family resides in LA,

Situation: USD is offering a scholarship of 26k/yr with no stipulations...just don't hit the lotto and keep showing need for financial support.

Pepperdine no scholarship - plan on moving out regardless, will be pulling loans.

Please none of that retake the LSAT wait a year stuff, I'm ready to begin my career.

Any input???

retake, neither school is worth the investment

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:31 pm

cobsss wrote:Please none of that retake the LSAT wait a year stuff, I'm ready to begin my career

Retaking and waiting is part of beginning a successful career

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:35 pm

OP, is u r set on not retaking/re-applying, i think u should try to avoid as much debts as possible, so USD over Pepperdine, however, i think u should retake and try for better school/money next year

cobsss

Postby cobsss » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:39 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
cobsss wrote:Please none of that retake the LSAT wait a year stuff, I'm ready to begin my career

Retaking and waiting is part of beginning a successful career

I completely understand that, but I'm at a point where I'm two years removed from undergrad and am looking forward to being back in school and STARTING that career already. I know retake is obviously an option but at this point how far I am in the decision process I would hate to backtrack.

Jah - is 69K really that much debt that I would avoid the better more reputable school in a market which I would practice in eventually?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:41 pm

If you don't want to work in SD then it makes no sense to go to USD. It also makes no sense to go to Pepperdine at sticker.

Teflon_Jeff

Postby Teflon_Jeff » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:49 pm

If you attend either of these schools, you will have trouble starting a career.

Retaking is the correct path to actually having a career.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:14 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:OP, is u r set on not retaking/re-applying, i think u should try to avoid as much debts as possible, so USD over Pepperdine, however, i think u should retake and try for better school/money next year

This is the first thing you've said that's not completely retarded.

OP, retaking and going to a school that's not horrible or ungodly expensive is obviously the correct choice. If you won't listen to reason, mitigate your debt as much as possible.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:42 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
cobsss wrote:Background: from LA, plan on practicing in LA, have lots of connections in LA, family resides in LA,

Any input???

retake, neither school is worth the investment

Jah'rakal is my new source of work entertainment :D

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:39 pm

cobsss wrote:Please none of that retake the LSAT wait a year stuff, I'm ready to begin my career.

The fact that you don't want to hear it does not negate the reality that this is by far the most prudent and intelligent course of action that includes going to law school.

cobsss wrote:I'm at a point where I'm two years removed from undergrad and am looking forward to being back in school and STARTING that career already. I know retake is obviously an option but at this point how far I am in the decision process I would hate to backtrack.

These are not good reasons to make a terrible decision (i.e. voluntarily run a very real risk of financial suicide). Plenty of people begin law school in their late twenties and even their thirties. Two years out of undergrad is nothing at all.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:56 pm

Retake and reapply.

Pepperdine isn't worth full tuition. Not even close.

USD has a 46.7% employment rate. You have a higher chance of not starting your career after 3 years of school.

Pepperdine is only 42%. It's even worse.

cobsss

Postby cobsss » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:42 am

Doorkeeper wrote:Retake and reapply.

USD has a 46.7% employment rate. You have a higher chance of not starting your career after 3 years of school.

can you link me to this info? Thanks

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:33 am

cobsss wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:49 am

Nova is always on the ball with employment stats in hand haha

Teflon_Jeff

Postby Teflon_Jeff » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:26 am

Nova's like an employment stat superhero, fo realz.

Nova, in case it hasn't been said, you are awesome, and it is super helpful and appreciated.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:34 am

Thank you :mrgreen:

cobsss

Postby cobsss » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:06 pm

Nova wrote:
cobsss wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

Thanks! It seems like that is the case at hand. But when looking at LST stats from 09 almost 88% were employed after 9 months with a significant amount in law firms...has the economy just been catching up to the law firms?

Wakelaw15

Postby Wakelaw15 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:52 pm

Two years out of undergrad is not a long time. Both options are horrible and CA market is flooded with qualified jds. Retake and reapply. The only schools I would take out six figures of debt for are Stanford and Berkeley. Please don't make the mistake of attending either of these schools.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:53 pm

cobsss wrote:
Nova wrote:
cobsss wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

Thanks! It seems like that is the case at hand. But when looking at LST stats from 09 almost 88% were employed after 9 months with a significant amount in law firms...has the economy just been catching up to the law firms?

Class of 09 did OCI in 07. Totally different world

Huskar

Postby Huskar » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:13 pm

Wakelaw15 wrote:Two years out of undergrad is not a long time. Both options are horrible and CA market is flooded with qualified jds. Retake and reapply. The only schools I would take out six figures of debt for are Stanford and Berkeley. Please don't make the mistake of attending either of these schools.

u go to north carolina, what do u know about CA market?

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Huskar wrote:
Wakelaw15 wrote:Two years out of undergrad is not a long time. Both options are horrible and CA market is flooded with qualified jds. Retake and reapply. The only schools I would take out six figures of debt for are Stanford and Berkeley. Please don't make the mistake of attending either of these schools.

Jah?

One does not need to attend a particular school to have insight about it.

Wakelaw15

Postby Wakelaw15 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:20 pm

Huskar wrote:

this is all one needs to know:
1. these schools are both placing only between one third and one half of graduates in legal jobs. The majority of graduates are not getting jobs, and OP wants to get his career started.
2. they are regional schools and within the state there are many better institutions: stanford, berkeley, usc, ucla, davis...and all things being equal, these students will get consideration ahead of usd or pepperdine grads. To leap frog over students at these other schools OP would need to stand out with top grades/law review/etc.
3. CA is a very desirable region to live/work in. Many students from T14s, and from better T1 schools, will be trying to get into the CA market, and some of these people have top grades/strong ties/personal connections/incredible resumes. If you look on google there have been many articles about how the state is a particularly tough legal market because there are so many schools, so many graduates, and so many outsiders with JDs who want to come to the area.
Last edited by Wakelaw15 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:21 pm

Huskar wrote:

u r a jah'rakal alt. what do u know about anything?

Dreas

Postby Dreas » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:05 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”