What's wrong with American Law? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TennesseeJed

New

What's wrong with American Law?

Post by TennesseeJed » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:24 pm

I've seen countless posts essentially berating the quality of American U. Yet, their International Law Program ranks better than elite schools such as GW, Berkley, and Virginia. Is this not enough of a niche coming out of school? I am confident that I want to practice International Law of some capacity, so this school seems pretty appealing to me, especially considering it's much more inexpensive than Georgetown. Furthermore, although I have no full-time work experience outside of summer work, the fact that an LSAT score would (could) earn me entrance into their MBA program also seems like a great opportunity...

I will likely be accepted to better schools, but would American not provide me many of the same opportunities that other top Int'l Law programs provide, or does this small niche really not warrant much interest?

Thanks

Yukos

Gold

Re: What's wrong with American Law?

Post by Yukos » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Inb4theshitshow.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:27 pm

TennesseeJed wrote:I've seen countless posts essentially berating the quality of American U. Yet, their International Law Program ranks better than elite schools such as GW, Berkley, and Virginia. Is this not enough of a niche coming out of school? I am confident that I want to practice International Law of some capacity, so this school seems pretty appealing to me, especially considering it's much more inexpensive than Georgetown. Furthermore, although I have no full-time work experience outside of summer work, the fact that an LSAT score would (could) earn me entrance into their MBA program also seems like a great opportunity...

I will likely be accepted to better schools, but would American not provide me many of the same opportunities that other top Int'l Law programs provide, or does this small niche really not warrant much interest?

Thanks

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:28 pm

People bash it because they placed only 35% of their 2011 class into bar passage required jobs 9 months after graduation. hth

--LinkRemoved--
Last edited by HBBJohnStamos on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JetsFan1990

Bronze

Post by JetsFan1990 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:28 pm

American U is garbage. Forget about the specialty rankings - they mean nothing. You will absolutely not have the same opportunities coming out of American that you would have coming out of GeorgeTTTown, for instance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:29 pm

HBBJohnStamos wrote:People bash it because they placed only 35% of their 2011 class into bar passage required jobs 9 months after graduation. hth

--LinkRemoved--
QFT

What a fucking festering TTT

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:30 pm

No one has even mentioned the fact that he wants to work in international law.

breadbucket

Bronze

Post by breadbucket » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:31 pm

TennesseeJed wrote: much more inexpensive

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Yukos wrote:No one has even mentioned the fact that he wants to work in international law.
Well, I'm just assuming that when you place 35% into real legal jobs, about, hmmm, none of them will get international legal jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:35 pm

American was hanging on barely to its T1 status in 2011 at 49, but since has improved in the ranks. I think it's a good school with a solid reputation, and most importantly, it is right at DC where most opportunities are, that being said, the reason it is bashed often is because it is surrounded by even better schools in the region, while top grads from other top schools are attracted to DC as well, so American cannot get much of the pie in the end, but like many other lower t1 schools, u work hard and do well in classes, you will have a prestigious gig in DC where international law thrives

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:35 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:American was hanging on barely to its T1 status in 2011 at 49, but since has improved in the ranks. I think it's a good school with a solid reputation, and most importantly, it is right at DC where most opportunities are, that being said, the reason it is bashed often is because it is surrounded by even better schools in the region, while top grads from other top schools are attracted to DC as well, so American cannot get much of the pie in the end, but like many other lower t1 schools, u work hard and do well in classes, you will have a prestigious gig in DC where international law thrives

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:36 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:American was hanging on barely to its T1 status in 2011 at 49, but since has improved in the ranks. I think it's a good school with a solid reputation, and most importantly, it is right at DC where most opportunities are, that being said, the reason it is bashed often is because it is surrounded by even better schools in the region, while top grads from other top schools are attracted to DC as well, so American cannot get much of the pie in the end, but like many other lower t1 schools, u work hard and do well in classes, you will have a prestigious gig in DC where international law thrives
TITCR

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:37 pm

This is the best post I've ever seen from Jah'rakal, in that not all of the sentences are wrong.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cc.celina

Silver

Post by cc.celina » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:38 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:TITCR
Did you just TITCR your own R?

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:39 pm

cc.celina wrote:
Only American U students think they're T1.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:40 pm

cc.celina wrote:
TITCR.

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:41 pm

HBBJohnStamos wrote:
cc.celina wrote:
that is because regardless how rankings can be irrelevant, they nevertheless matter to a lot of students, and according to USNews, American is T1, just like 49 other schools including havard, yale, stanford, Pepperdine, NYU, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:42 pm

The same number of jobs exist in international law as do jobs in unicorn law. HTH.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:43 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
HBBJohnStamos wrote:
cc.celina wrote:
that is because regardless how rankings can be irrelevant, they nevertheless matter to a lot of students, and according to USNews, American is T1, just like 49 other schools including havard, yale, stanford, Pepperdine, NYU, etc.
Where the hell did Pepperdine come from in this list? And lol no.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:44 pm

HBBJohnStamos wrote:
Yukos wrote:No one has even mentioned the fact that he wants to work in international law.
Well, I'm just assuming that when you place 35% into real legal jobs, about, hmmm, none of them will get international legal jobs.
These probably don’t take into account all the people who didn’t reply because they were working prestigious international law and where too busy to deal with international mail surveys. Or too busy globetrotting to even get the survey. It’s a biased stat.

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:45 pm

Birdnals wrote:
HBBJohnStamos wrote:
These probably don’t take into account all the people who didn’t reply because they were working prestigious international law and where too busy to deal with international mail surveys. Or too busy globetrotting to even get the survey. It’s a biased stat.
TITCR again

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:45 pm

I would now like the OP to define what "international law" is

cc.celina

Silver

Post by cc.celina » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:46 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
Birdnals wrote:These probably don’t take into account all the people who didn’t reply because they were working prestigious international law and where too busy to deal with international mail surveys. Or too busy globetrotting to even get the survey. It’s a biased stat.
TITCR again
This is the first time I lol'ed in the course of this thread, thank you

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:46 pm

TennesseeJed wrote:I've seen countless posts essentially berating the quality of American U. Yet, their International Law Program ranks better than elite schools such as GW, Berkley, and Virginia. Is this not enough of a niche coming out of school? I am confident that I want to practice International Law of some capacity, so this school seems pretty appealing to me, especially considering it's much more inexpensive than Georgetown. Furthermore, although I have no full-time work experience outside of summer work, the fact that an LSAT score would (could) earn me entrance into their MBA program also seems like a great opportunity...

Thanks
QFP. I like where this thread is going!

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:46 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
Birdnals wrote:
HBBJohnStamos wrote:
TITCR again
International playboys too busy playin'.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”