Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?

Postby manofjustice » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:34 am

Can't one professor handle more than 10 students? (I am talking to you Harvard...)

Clearly ratios should double. This would cut tuition by 30%.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:37 am

manofjustice wrote:Can't one professor handle more than 10 students? (I am talking to you Harvard...)

Clearly ratios should double. This would increase faculty salaries by 30%.

interesting observation

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:43 am

manofjustice wrote:Clearly ratios should double. This would cut tuition by 30%.

These numbers seem like they were arrived at after considerable mathematical analysis.
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:43 am

fatduck wrote:
manofjustice wrote:Can't one professor handle more than 10 students? (I am talking to you Harvard...)

Clearly ratios should double. This would increase faculty salaries by 30%.

interesting observation


You lie.

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?

Postby manofjustice » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:44 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
manofjustice wrote:Clearly ratios should double. This would cut tuition by 30%.

These numbers seems like they was arrived at after considerable mathematical analysis.


Faculty compensation is about 60% of most schools' budgets. Now what is 1/2 of 60%?

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?

Postby flem » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:59 am

manofjustice wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
manofjustice wrote:Clearly ratios should double. This would cut tuition by 30%.

These numbers seems like they was arrived at after considerable mathematical analysis.


Faculty compensation is about 60% of most schools' budgets. Now what is 1/2 of 60%?


Hey bro there is this great LSAT prep book called the PowerScore Logical Reasoning Bible. In one of the later chapters, there's a chapter to teach you about the pitfalls of numbers and percentages.

HTH

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:08 am

manofjustice wrote:Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?


USNews

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?

Postby manofjustice » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:09 am

flem wrote:
manofjustice wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
manofjustice wrote:Clearly ratios should double. This would cut tuition by 30%.

These numbers seems like they was arrived at after considerable mathematical analysis.


Faculty compensation is about 60% of most schools' budgets. Now what is 1/2 of 60%?


Hey bro there is this great LSAT prep book called the PowerScore Logical Reasoning Bible. In one of the later chapters, there's a chapter to teach you about the pitfalls of numbers and percentages.

HTH


"The pitfalls of numbers and percentages." You are just brilliant. Thank you buddy.

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?

Postby manofjustice » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:09 am

Law Sauce wrote:
manofjustice wrote:Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?


USNews


TIC. Let's abolish US News and World Report rankings, then. Shall we?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:10 am

manofjustice wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
manofjustice wrote:Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?


USNews


TIC. Let's abolish US News and World Report rankings, then. Shall we?


You must have absolutely nothing to do. Go outside and play.
Last edited by kalvano on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Birdnals
Posts: 4576
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:26 am

Re: Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?

Postby Birdnals » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:10 am

This looks like it is going to be fun.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:11 am

manofjustice wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
manofjustice wrote:Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?


USNews


TIC. Let's abolish US News and World Report rankings, then. Shall we?

which do you think would be easier to accomplish: abolishing USNWR, or firing half of all law professors

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?

Postby manofjustice » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:12 am

kalvano wrote:
manofjustice wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
manofjustice wrote:Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?


USNews


TIC. Let's abolish US News and World Report rankings, then. Shall we?


You must have absolutely nothing to do. Go outside and play.


But US News hasn't ranked the neighborhood playgrounds from which I can chose. What shall I do?

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?

Postby flem » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:14 am

manofjustice wrote:"The pitfalls of numbers and percentages." You are just brilliant. Thank you buddy.


You're welcome.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5833
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?

Postby 2014 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:32 am

Itt: Manofjustice reads Campos' blog and runs to TLS to pretend he has uncovered something important.

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?

Postby manofjustice » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:37 am

2014 wrote:Itt: Manofjustice reads Campos' blog and runs to TLS to pretend he has uncovered something important.


ITT: 2014 reads Campo's blog and runs to Manofjustice's thread to pretend he has uncovered something important.

The blog makes a good point. It should be answered. (Not by 2014).

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Why in the world are faculty to student ratios so low?

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:40 am

manofjustice wrote:But US News hasn't ranked the neighborhood playgrounds from which I can chose. What shall I do?


Russian roulette is always an option.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jjcorvino, trebekismyhero, vm223 and 6 guests