Joint degree

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Joint degree

Postby 1776 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:38 pm

Im thinking about getting an MSW in a joint degree program. I definitely want to practice law, but love working in non profit. I'd like to work for a non profit or an outreach organization like innocence project or ACLU. An executive director position would also be great. Is the joint degree worth it? Any input or info would be great.

Thanks.

Re: Joint degree

Postby 2014 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:20 pm

It really depends at what extra cost you are talking about. I think MSW is one of the few masters that actually makes sense and could build a more compelling narrative to get you into the PI market, but whether it is worth another entire year of tuition and COL is another question.

Totally depends on the school of course too.

Postby 1776 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:23 pm

Pitt's school of social work is #11 and is $19k/yr.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:34 pm

1776 wrote:Pitt's school of social work is #11 and is $19k/yr.

Too bad Pitt is a bad law school, generally.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:28 pm

Though not if you want to work in Pittsburgh.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:44 pm

rad lulz wrote:

OP wants to work in Pittsburgh and has said that the three-year COA would be only ~$20K, so there are certainly worse choices he/she could make.

Postby 2014 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:04 pm

So your total debt for both degrees out of Pitt would be ~40k including CoL?

If that is the case I think it is a reasonable investment.
Have you considered talking to any PI organizations about what they tend to look for and whether a MSW is useful?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:44 am

I'm not sure this is such a good idea. PI organizations hire lawyers and social workers, but as two distinct positions. Having a joint degree could create confusion as to whether they are hiring a lawyer or a social worker or what your role would be. Or you could just end up screwing yourself over and doing the work of both for the price of one.

However, I think in direct services PI a social work background would be very useful. I think your best bet is to check with the school and see if they allow you to take classes outside the law school and count them for credit. Then you can take some social work classes and gain the experience, and decide if you want to pursue the joint degree.

Either way its probably best to apply to whichever degree program interests you the most and decide once you are in school.

Postby 1776 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:54 pm

rad lulz wrote:

It far outplaces its rank, and is the dominant school in the region I want work in. I will only be 20k in debt after three years. Pittsbugh's market didn't take as much of a hit as most other major cities. The mortgage crisis didn't have a huge impact here, and the only reason Pitt fell out of t1 is because if expenditures, not because of employment or quality of education. It's full time employment rank is only 1% lower than Washington and lee, which is ranked 24th, and was one of the other schools I was considering. It's full time employment is 7% better than Lewis and Clark, another school I looked at.

Pitt's employment numbers are better than some t1 and many TT, and I'm attending at a very low price. Reed smith and kl gates recruit heavily from Pitt as well. Pittsbugh is a good market with low cost of living, even though their reported salaries are close to other schools in major cities with higher col.

I didn't apply to any t14 schools because I would have had to go at sticker, which isn't worthwhile to me. I am making a good investment in a good market that is only going to improve. It's bullshit that Pitt dropped out of the T1 because they don't spend enough per student. It's better than duquesne and penn state, the only other nearby schools. Pitt is an underrated law school, and overall Pitt has a great reputation in PA, eapecially in western PA.

People who aren't from pittsbugh don't realize the Pittsburgh market is much healthier than most major cities, and that Pitt has a great reputation in a market that wants Pitt and duquesne grads.

Postby 1776 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:01 pm

worldtraveler wrote:I'm not sure this is such a good idea. PI organizations hire lawyers and social workers, but as two distinct positions. Having a joint degree could create confusion as to whether they are hiring a lawyer or a social worker or what your role would be. Or you could just end up screwing yourself over and doing the work of both for the price of one.

However, I think in direct services PI a social work background would be very useful. I think your best bet is to check with the school and see if they allow you to take classes outside the law school and count them for credit. Then you can take some social work classes and gain the experience, and decide if you want to pursue the joint degree.

Either way its probably best to apply to whichever degree program interests you the most and decide once you are in school.

Definitely the JD. I work in non profit now and love it, but I want to work in the legal field. I was hoping an MSW would help me get a foot in the door for a public interest job. I Took a law class at my undergrads law school and classes at the social work school. I enjoyed law more, but I want to find a way to use a JD to help others or to start a legal nonprofit service.

I applied to a lot of non profit jobs the last few months, and they all wanted an MSW.

qweasd1

Postby qweasd1 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:03 am

SPAM

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:51 am

1776 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

It far outplaces its rank, and is the dominant school in the region I want work in. I will only be 20k in debt after three years. Pittsbugh's market didn't take as much of a hit as most other major cities.

I remember seeing your situation in another thread. A Pitt JD makes sense for you, but don't bother with the JD/MSW.

Postby 1776 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:25 am

romothesavior wrote:
1776 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

It far outplaces its rank, and is the dominant school in the region I want work in. I will only be 20k in debt after three years. Pittsbugh's market didn't take as much of a hit as most other major cities.

I remember seeing your situation in another thread. A Pitt JD makes sense for you, but don't bother with the JD/MSW.

Cool. Thanks.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”