Is Columbia/NYU worth sticker?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
EnchantedJockstrap

Re: Is Columbia/NYU worth sticker?

Postby EnchantedJockstrap » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:05 pm

moonman157 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:OP asked: "Is Columbia/NYU worth sticker ?"

My opinion is that it depends whether you're looking down on 'em or up at 'em. If accepted to Harvard, Yale or Stanford, then no; but, if not accepted to any or all of Harvard, Yale or Stanford, then yes.

This is a pretty dumb analysis. Would attending a TTT at sticker be worth it because you got shut out of the TT? Obviously NYU and Columbia aren't as good as YSH, but their value should be evaluated independent of other schools.

This is the first time I've ever seen NYU and Columbia being compared to a TTT school. lol These two things are not alike in any way.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:13 pm

EnchantedJockstrap wrote:
moonman157 wrote:

My opinion is that it depends whether you're looking down on 'em or up at 'em. If accepted to Harvard, Yale or Stanford, then no; but, if not accepted to any or all of Harvard, Yale or Stanford, then yes.

This is a pretty dumb analysis. Would attending a TTT at sticker be worth it because you got shut out of the TT? Obviously NYU and Columbia aren't as good as YSH, but their value should be evaluated independent of other schools.

This is the first time I've ever seen NYU and Columbia being compared to a TTT school. lol These two things are not alike in any way.

I wasn't comparing NYU or Columbia to a TTT. My point is that you can't judge whether or not a school is worth sticker by seeing what other schools you could get into. If it's YSH sticker vs. CCN sticker, then the choice is very obvious. But the point I was responding to was that if you can't get into a better school, then it's worth paying sticker. That's a stupid argument to make. The "looking down on 'em or up at 'em" argument could be applied to any law school, but again doesn't tell us whether or not the school is a good investment.

EnchantedJockstrap

Postby EnchantedJockstrap » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:11 am

moonman157 wrote:
EnchantedJockstrap wrote:
moonman157 wrote:

I wasn't comparing NYU or Columbia to a TTT. My point is that you can't judge whether or not a school is worth sticker by seeing what other schools you could get into. If it's YSH sticker vs. CCN sticker, then the choice is very obvious. But the point I was responding to was that if you can't get into a better school, then it's worth paying sticker. That's a stupid argument to make. The "looking down on 'em or up at 'em" argument could be applied to any law school, but again doesn't tell us whether or not the school is a good investment.

I misspoke. I meant to say that by using the analogy it greatly distorts the comparative relationships between a TTT to a TT and NYU/ Columbia to HYS. As to the actual argument you make I understand and agree that it is not the best logic, if he wasn't talking about NYU or Columbia. Yet, when that logic is used about NYU or Columbia then the OP's sentiment kind of makes sense.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”