From rejected in February to accepted in July

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hookem7

From rejected in February to accepted in July

Postby hookem7 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:16 pm

So I literally did nothing between applying and being rejected from my alma mater in February, on a Saturday no less, and got a call today saying they had basically reconsidered. I was pretty set on W&L, had an apartment and everything, and would be paying practically nothing (40,000/year award + living expenses covered by parents) to attend. UT would be at full in-state cost but would still have my parents to cover living expenses and maybe some extra if it doesn't interfere with my brother's UG bills. Is this even a decision? Would getting back to Texas, if I wanted, really be that hard with a UT UG degree? I feel bad asking them to help me out even though they are willing to do so, so assuming TLS is going to say UT all the way, how should I go about convincing them that UT is worth 100K more than W&L?

Other factors generally asked about: K-JD, UT UG, born and raised in Tejas but the rest of my family is spread out in the southeast (AL,GA,TN), no desire to live above the Mason-Dixon line, general aspirations are to be a functioning member of society at whatever size firm that equates to.

top30man

Re: From rejected in February to accepted in July

Postby top30man » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:18 pm

Go to texas.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:33 pm

hookem7 wrote:I feel bad asking them to help me out even though they are willing to do so, so assuming TLS is going to say UT all the way, how should I go about convincing them that UT is worth 100K more than W&L?

UT crushes W&L in employment prospects. Show your parents the hard numbers. In state is only 30k... soo more like 90k more COA, right?

W&L wrote:•55% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes no school-funded jobs..
•65.9% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•75.2% graduates were employed in full-time jobs

UT wrote:•69.9% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes no school-funded jobs..
•80.4% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•87.2% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

hookem7

Postby hookem7 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:38 pm

^ I was going with a conservative 100k since our wonderful Aggie governor seems hell bent on cutting UT funding which is sure to lead to tuition increases. I guess the parents are just being stubborn because they like the sound of free and are from an area where W&L sounds better than UT.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:57 am

UT.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”