UC Davis vs. GW for IP-- $$ involved!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

How much $$ before GW is worth it

Sticker Price
20%
5k/year
3%
10k/year
3%
15k/year
15%
20k/year
60%

Total votes: 40

Nammertat

UC Davis vs. GW for IP-- $$ involved!

Postby Nammertat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Currently in @ UC Davis with substantial $$. (~$40k/year with scholly & need)

Engineering background, and looking to go into Patent Litigation / IP

At what point does it make sense to go to GW? (Poll @ Top)
Last edited by Nammertat on Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Re: UC Davis vs. GW

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:45 pm

Do you want west coast or east coast?

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:46 pm

Nova wrote:Do you want west coast or east coast?

I'm really up for either. I LOVE DC, but also could see myself in SF long term as well.

dudders

Postby dudders » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:51 pm

I was about to say GW is a TTT but then I saw the magic word - "patent." You're fine, bro, go wherever you want.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:52 pm

dudders wrote:I was about to say GW is a TTT

:| :| :|

Nova

Re: UC Davis vs. GW for IP-- $$ involved!

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:57 pm

My humble 0L opinion is that GW is worth 60k more than UCD. Im sure you are aware of these numbers, but just to rehash,

GW wrote:81.3% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number school-funded jobs.
92.1% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
93.8% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

Davis wrote:56.4% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes no school-funded jobs..
63.1% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
68.2% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

25% more grads land lt/ft/jdr at GW, which would be enough to sway me to pay an additional 60k. More than that though, IDK.
Last edited by Nova on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Nova wrote:
dudders wrote:I was about to say GW is a TTT

:| :| :|

I've got a TON of respect for GW but as many have stated, the IP program puts it over the top for those of us with work experience.

With the Davis deal I'd graduate with ~$60k debt, whereas GW would likely be 180k+.... That's some scary stuff!

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:03 pm

Nammertat wrote:With the Davis deal I'd graduate with ~$60k debt, whereas GW would likely be 180k+.... That's some scary stuff!

Yeah, that would be too much for me, personally, to handle. But im not versed in the IP market at all, so hopefully others will chime in soon with more knowledge.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:06 pm

Nova wrote:
Nammertat wrote:With the Davis deal I'd graduate with ~$60k debt, whereas GW would likely be 180k+.... That's some scary stuff!

Yeah, that would be too much for me, personally, to handle. But im not versed in the IP market at all, so hopefully others will chime in soon with more knowledge.

Doesn't help that our in-house attorney at my current company is a GW Law grad, and has been harping on me about investment vs. payout.... daily.... lol

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:23 pm

With a $120,000 difference, UC-Davis looks attractive. If the difference was cut in half to $60,000, then GWU makes sense for an engineer with work experience seeking IP. But, aren't there IP job fairs around the nation open to anyone with the right credentials & qualifications ?

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:27 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:With a $120,000 difference, UC-Davis looks attractive. If the difference was cut in half to $60,000, then GWU makes sense for an engineer with work experience seeking IP. But, aren't there IP job fairs around the nation open to anyone with the right credentials & qualifications ?

Certainly so- it's a seller's market in IP right now for any one with decent credentials.... I realize this is pretty cliche, but GW IS ranked really high for IP nationally and Davis doesn't even get honorable mention:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... w-rankings

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Nammertat wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:With a $120,000 difference, UC-Davis looks attractive. If the difference was cut in half to $60,000, then GWU makes sense for an engineer with work experience seeking IP. But, aren't there IP job fairs around the nation open to anyone with the right credentials & qualifications ?

Certainly so- it's a seller's market in IP right now for any one with decent credentials.... I realize this is pretty cliche, but GW IS ranked really high for IP nationally and Davis doesn't even get honorable mention:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... w-rankings

GW is great for patent/IP people. There's a lot of opportunities for patent/IP people at OCI. If you were doing any other kind of law I would say wait next cycle and retake or take the $. But I would try and get some $ from GW if you can.

LST numbers are slightly inflated (school funded jobs). Still if you are patent/IP they will dip lower in the class for you at GW for sure.

sbalive

Postby sbalive » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:57 pm

The same amount, or maybe like a $5-10K a year difference in COA (factoring in lower COL at Davis). You're highly unlikely to be in a position where you could have gotten a job out of GW but not out of Davis. On the other hand, if you really wanted to start your career in the Northeast, GW might make sense at a bigger difference than that, but at some point you're paying enough that you should just take a year off, retake, and try to get into a T14, where your exit salary will justify the opportunity cost of waiting.

sbalive

Postby sbalive » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:58 pm

Nammertat wrote:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/intellectual-property-law-rankings

You can't be serious.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:46 pm

sbalive wrote:
Nammertat wrote:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/intellectual-property-law-rankings

You can't be serious.

IP Rankings DO matter when you're talking top 3 vs not even considered, but I think it's fairly well known that GW has an awesome IP program.

I think this is likely a better source / #'s:

GW: --LinkRemoved--

Davis: --LinkRemoved--

HUGE difference in employment statistics.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:47 pm

sbalive wrote:The same amount, or maybe like a $5-10K a year difference in COA (factoring in lower COL at Davis). You're highly unlikely to be in a position where you could have gotten a job out of GW but not out of Davis. On the other hand, if you really wanted to start your career in the Northeast, GW might make sense at a bigger difference than that, but at some point you're paying enough that you should just take a year off, retake, and try to get into a T14, where your exit salary will justify the opportunity cost of waiting.

I'm all out of LSAT attempts unfortunately, and I'm not willing to wait 2 years to become eligible again.

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:01 pm

Nammertat wrote:
sbalive wrote:
Nammertat wrote:

You can't be serious.

IP Rankings DO matter when you're talking top 3 vs not even considered, but I think it's fairly well known that GW has an awesome IP program.

I think this is likely a better source / #'s:

GW: --LinkRemoved--

Davis: --LinkRemoved--

HUGE difference in employment statistics.

15% of GW grads are in school-funded jobs vs. 10% at Davis. Not a HUGE difference, but a difference.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:03 pm

15% of GW grads are in school-funded jobs vs. 10% at Davis. Not a HUGE difference, but a difference.

I saw that too- its sad that schools continue to do stuff like that simply to game the system.

clintone88

Postby clintone88 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:57 pm

I think one other important distinction is if you're EE/CS or not. Those are the two credentials that will help you a lot in SF/SV, the obvious market for Davis. If you are, then I would do Davis over GW unless they have close to the same cost of attendance (within like $15k). Otherwise, if you're ME or similar, I would seriously reconsider law school, and if you're life science with bio, then I think GW is better because of the higher life science market on the east coast.

breadbucket

Postby breadbucket » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:08 pm

dudders wrote: GW is a TTT

reckless_abandon

Postby reckless_abandon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:20 pm

clintone88 wrote:Otherwise, if you're ME or similar, I would seriously reconsider law school

As an ME considering law school I'd like to know what makes you say this

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:31 pm

clintone88 wrote:I think one other important distinction is if you're EE/CS or not. Those are the two credentials that will help you a lot in SF/SV, the obvious market for Davis. If you are, then I would do Davis over GW unless they have close to the same cost of attendance (within like $15k). Otherwise, if you're ME or similar, I would seriously reconsider law school, and if you're life science with bio, then I think GW is better because of the higher life science market on the east coast.

My degrees are not in science, and thus will not be eligible to sit for the patent bar (and thus no patent prosecution). The good news is that I had no intention of going the prosecution route, and instead want to focus on litigation.

I DO however have several years of work experience in engineering, which should translate rather nicely.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:32 pm

Nammertat wrote:
clintone88 wrote:I think one other important distinction is if you're EE/CS or not. Those are the two credentials that will help you a lot in SF/SV, the obvious market for Davis. If you are, then I would do Davis over GW unless they have close to the same cost of attendance (within like $15k). Otherwise, if you're ME or similar, I would seriously reconsider law school, and if you're life science with bio, then I think GW is better because of the higher life science market on the east coast.

My degrees are not in science, and thus will not be eligible to sit for the patent bar (and thus no patent prosecution). The good news is that I had no intention of going the prosecution route, and instead want to focus on litigation.

I DO however have several years of work experience in engineering, which should translate rather nicely.

you probably should have mentioned this earlier. i'm pretty sure everyone will now say to take all the money you can get.

clintone88

Postby clintone88 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:14 pm

reckless_abandon wrote:
clintone88 wrote:Otherwise, if you're ME or similar, I would seriously reconsider law school

As an ME considering law school I'd like to know what makes you say this

The job market isn't nearly as strong for ME as it is for EE or life science phd. You probably need strong grades at a strong school to get a job in patents with ME. If you're in at or targeting T14, then I would say you will still be fine, but it isn't nearly as secure as EE or bio phd.

Search for IPlaw360 then click jobs and look at the number of chem/bio and EE/CS jobs compared to ME jobs. It certainly isn't impossible to find an ME position, and you're much better off than someone with a history degree, but i just don't know if it's worth the cost of law school when I'm sure you could find a job as an engineer. I'm not saying don't go to law school, just consider your options, I have no idea about your background or anything

For OP, I would not rely on GW's IP presence if you don't have a science background. Just do Davis. What exactly do you mean you have several years of experience in engineering without a science degree?

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:14 pm

Nammertat wrote:Currently in @ UC Davis with substantial $$. (~$40k/year with scholly & need)

Engineering background, and looking to go into Patent Litigation / IP

At what point does it make sense to go to GW? (Poll @ Top)

You are my TLS hero. The way you have conquered the waitlists this year.

Do you have any other waitlist schools?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”