UNC, IUB, Boulder,

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which option to go for, assuming LSAT doesn't improve?

Indiana University - Bloomington
33%
University of North Carolina
44%
University of Colorado
22%

Total votes: 9

Owwmyhip

UNC, IUB, Boulder,

Postby Owwmyhip » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:57 pm

Yes, yet another "help me pick a school" topic...

As of now I have a 165 LSAT, which will likely improve because I only had two weeks to study due to an emergency surgery, and a 3.83 GPA. I plan on doing environmental law, preferably working for the EPA in Denver or DC and possibly hanging out a shingle in North Carolina. Because my LSAT could go up I might be looking at higher ranked schools than these. However, I want to minimize debt so even if I got in to Duke, for example, it would take a considerable scholarship or guarantees of significant money to get me to go. I am interested in doing an environmental science masters as a joint degree with the JD. so, pros and cons from where I sit now:

UNC: Pros - In state tuition, best job market in NC, maybe best job market nationally (?)
Cons - No environmental science masters program (though I could do an MBA), location where I would least like to be of the three

IUB: Pros - Highest ranked school, best Env Sci masters program (?), great location, huge scholarships
Cons - Worst job market outside of midwest (?)

UC Boulder: Pros - great environmental science program, great location, good job market in Denver (?)
Cons - Lowest ranked school, poor South Atlantic job market (?), would have to work for a year to get residence for tuition and still the most expensive

Who has strong opinions? Any other schools I should be looking at? Can anyone comment on the job market of UC or IUB in the South Atlantic? Would an environmental science masters be beneficial? Would an MBA be more beneficial if I go in to business fo myself?

Ruxin1

Re: UNC, IUB, Boulder,

Postby Ruxin1 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:58 pm

1. 170+
2. T14 with $$$$
3. ?????
4. Profit

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:05 pm

You should have better options even at 165. Get that LSAT score up to 170 and choose between T14 or the same schools but with a free ride. You shouldn't go to any of these schools at sticker.

If you really have to choose between these three, there does not appear to be any good reason to go to Boulder unless you are content to stay and practice in Denver.

top30man

Postby top30man » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:08 pm

If you want to hang a shingle, retake. Or else, retake.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:13 pm

With a 165/3.83, you should have received scholarship money from Colorado & Indiana. What is the total COA for each law school ?

Colorado seems to be a solid choice for environmental law due to the course offerings & environmental law journal.

UNC is also a solid option due to reasonable in-state tuition rates.

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:22 pm

Retake and go for free to your preferred market, or preferred t14

Owwmyhip

Postby Owwmyhip » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:25 pm

I haven't applied yet. I will be applying for August 2013 so I don't actually know what kind of scholarships I might get. The admissions officer at IUB seemed to suggest that I could end up paying less than in-state tuition. Do I have a shot at Cornell with my current numbers?

Owwmyhip

Postby Owwmyhip » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:28 pm

By the way, are there any other schools I should be looking at?

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:31 pm

Owwmyhip wrote:I haven't applied yet. I will be applying for August 2013

:|

This part of the forum is basically for posters deciding between offers, which is why everyone assumed you had already been accepted.

Retake in October for sure. Dont apply to a regional school unless you are ok with living in that region long term. As for your chances, try http://www.mylsn.info

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:33 pm

Many at IUB with a 165 LSAT are awarded $130,000 to $140,000 in total scholarship money over three years. Colorado is far less generous.

Retake is the best option for you, however.

Check out http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”