LOL at Rutgers-Camden Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
HarlandBassett

Bronze

Re: LOL at Rutgers-Camden

Post by HarlandBassett » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:42 pm

crossarmant wrote:As someone transferring out of Rutgers-Camden, this is disappointing to see. The school is sinking faster than a rock. It's terrifying. I mean, it fell 15 points in the rankings even before mention of a merger; I can only imagine the damage coming to the place in next year's rankings.

What's just as troubling is how much they rally up their students with weekly emails from the Dean talking about how "We're not hurting for students or money, we're doing alright... everyone keep waving your red & black flags and chanting about 'Jersey Pride.'" I mean between the terrible press over the merger with Rowan, the admission solicitations to people who never took the LSAT and others who were uninterested, the BA/JD program that will take in people 3 years into their UG, and now full-rides to strangers who never applied?! I'm just so disappointed and even more glad I'm getting out.

I came in thinking "Oh, solid state school with decent placement and cheap enough tuition." Now it seems like they're grasping at straws while they plummet. It's really upsetting. I mean full-rides to people who never even applied? That's a tactic that not even TTTTs will use.
don't forget about this...

"Rutgers-Camden was reporting only the law school debt incurred by its graduating class in the class's third year, rather than, as it was required to by the ABA, over the course of attending the school."

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... lomon.html

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:54 pm

HarlandBassett wrote:don't forget about this...

"Rutgers-Camden was reporting only the law school debt incurred by its graduating class in the class's third year, rather than, as it was required to by the ABA, over the course of attending the school."

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... lomon.html
Forgot about that. This is the mail I was talking about from the Dean, sent on July 23rd:

Dear Students,

You may be aware that we have become the subject of several blog postings among a group of bloggers. Three of these have cast Rutgers-Camden in a negative light. The first concerned an admissions letter that was sent to a group of students who had taken the GMAT test and we wrote those test takers to see if they had any interest in our JD-MBA program. I have already written you about that, and want only to repeat that a group of senior faculty reviewed the numbers and confirmed that all data were accurate and accurately reported on our publicly available website.

The second blog concerned an admissions letter to people who had taken the June LSAT. The blog did not question anything in the letter, and stated that there was nothing wrong with outreach efforts (in fact numerous schools do exactly the same thing). The blog suggested that our letter showed that we were desperate for students because of the harm caused to our admissions by the then-pending threat of the Rowan merger. I will discuss our admissions situation below.

The third post occurred on July 18th and questioned our reported number for average indebtedness at graduation. The reported number was incorrect. Here is the sequence of events: each year the ABA asks for information about student indebtedness. The number for average indebtedness was one that until this year had not been publicly reported – it was reported to the ABA and they did not reprint it or disclose it. Our process for determining that number is that one of our administrative staff members gets the data from the University’s financial aid office and fills out the answer to the question. The staff person interpreted the question as asking what the average debt was for a graduating 3L for the third year --- not the total three-year indebtedness. This year US News asked for the data and we gave them what we had given the ABA. US News then did a ranking on least and most expensive schools. On the day the ranking came out I was informed by a fellow dean that we, along with a number of schools, had incorrectly interpreted the question. I immediately informed the ABA of our mistake. The ABA sent out an email to all schools and asked each to verify this number as there were enough schools that had the same problem to require everyone to recheck the information. We worked with financial aid to generate the accurate number, which was more difficult than one might imagine, as it required tracing students who had started in different years and taking out the undergraduate debt of Rutgers graduates. As soon as we could complete the process we reported to the ABA our accurate number. When US News requested the corrected number I supplied it to them. The ABA was completely satisfied that there was no intentional misconduct on our part. However, I sign the ABA questionnaire certification, and I take full responsibility for this mistake.

These are not the only times our School has been in the blogosphere recently. First, there was the report of our successful efforts to remain part of Rutgers University: http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... llett.html As you know, the Legislature passed a bill reforming higher education which kept the Law School and the entire Campus as a vital part of Rutgers. It also gave the Campus an increase in administrative autonomy, and promised additional resources. This successful effort was the result of a great deal of hard work by students, alumni, faculty, and staff, as well as tremendous legislative and public support. You all deserve a great deal of credit and our appreciation

But this victory came at a real cost. The merger announcement came at the height of the recruitment season. The uncertainty about our future caused many not to apply and others to select other admissions offers over ours. We are going to have a small class – there is no doubt that it will be more than 50% smaller than last year’s class, which was the largest we have ever had. However, we are not in any way desperate or panicked. The University understands that this is a one-time problem that was not created by the Law School. The only problem with a small class is fiscal, and we have been assured that we will have the resources that we need. This commitment is demonstrated by the fact that the University has not increased the tuition at the two law schools for next year. The educational benefits of small first-year classes are terrific, and some faculty will be able to offer additional upper-level courses.

This brings me to our other recent appearance in the blogs. A new survey of the impact of our faculty scholarship placed our faculty inside the top third of American law schools: http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... _outperfor This is reconfirmation of what we have always believed: we have a remarkably productive and influential faculty. Rutgers–Camden law professors have appeared at The Hague and the U.S. Supreme Court. They are authors of research articles in leading law reviews and peer-reviewed journals, widely-used casebooks, textbooks, practitioner treatises, and anthologies, as well as full-length monographs published by the very best presses, including Oxford, Cambridge, Yale, Princeton, and Penguin.

We are delighted that to this impressive group we have added four remarkable young scholars: Stacy Hawkins, who has been a visitor for two years, Katie Eyer, Jean Galbraith, and Margo Kaplan, Their biographies are on the website. They bring a diversity of professional accomplishments, academic interests, and scholarly perspectives that will add greatly to our existing faculty.

Let me conclude by stating that as I begin my fifteenth year as dean of this wonderful Law School I continue to be committed to openness and transparency. We will endeavor to be at the forefront of effective recruiting which seeks to make certain that all who are interested in Rutgers understand all aspects of the academic and professional life they are choosing. I am also committed to making Rutgers legal education as affordable as we are able. We continue to work hard to raise additional scholarship support. I believe, even in this very uncertain time, that the future of our School is bright, and that we will continue to pursue ideas that will make it even better.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. I look forward to seeing you on your return to School, and we will schedule a meeting then to discuss these issues and the future of the School.

All the best, RLS

TL;DR - Be still my children, for I know best. Rest your little heads and fret not.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:00 pm

I can't believe that dean hasn't been shitcanned yet

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:29 pm

We are going to have a small class – there is no doubt that it will be more than 50% smaller than last year’s class, which was the largest we have ever had. However, we are not in any way desperate or panicked.
As one of the recipients of a full ride to a school I didn't even apply to, my response is simple:

Lolololololololol!!!

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:29 pm

You've gotta be kidding me. Just got an email (i.e. solicitation NUMBER TWO). Wtf is wrong with this school?

In full:
I am delighted to inform you that, based on your undergraduate record, test scores, and background, including undergraduate school and state of residency, Rutgers Law School at Camden has identified you as someone we believe has the potential to be highly successful in law school, and we encourage you to consider applying for and joining our incoming Fall 2012 class. As part of this outreach program, all application fees and deposits are waived, and if accepted, our law school still has a limited number of full tuition Dean’s Academic Scholarships available for the 2012-2013 academic year that you are eligible for. These awards are funded by the law school and carry full tuition stipends that are applied directly against your tuition.

Scholarship Terms. Students awarded this Dean's Academic Scholarship are eligible for reappointment for this award during their second and third years at Rutgers-Camden, contingent upon maintaining full-time status, moving into and continuing to reside in the state of New Jersey, and an overall academic average that is in the top 40% of their class during their first academic year of study at Rutgers and for each academic year thereafter. If the scholarship student’s grade-point average should go below the top 40%, the student will still be eligible for a scholarship in the amount of $10,000 per year as long as the student maintains at least a 3.0 cumulative grade-point average. Should you choose to go part-time, the scholarship will be pro-rated over the four-year program period. For further information about the scholarship and its terms, please see https://camlaw.rutgers.edu/academic-exc ... ship-terms or contact the Admissions Office at (800) 466-7561 or admissions@camlaw.rutgers.edu.

Expedited Review and Waiver of Fees. Given the late date of this offer, all application fees and deposits are waived. To apply online, go to http://www.camlaw.rutgers.edu/admissions. If you apply Monday-Friday, we will endeavor to provide you with a decision within twenty-four hours of receiving your completed application and LSAC report. Simply note reference code "SCHOLAR-Fee Waiver" on the top of your Certification page. To expedite processing of your application, we ask that you add our school code (#2092) to your LSAC account as soon as possible so that we can receive a copy of your transcript and LSAC report.

Housing and Financial Aid. On-campus graduate housing http://housing.camden.rutgers.edu/grad_housing.html is still available, and nearby off-campus apartments are also available at a variety of complexes. We are a direct student loan institution (school code #002629) so your financial aid application can be processed directly by our financial aid office. If you decide that you would like to attend, you should apply through FAFSA to receive a loan package from the Law School Financial Aid Department that will estimate living expenses, books, tuition (of course yours is fully paid this year), and fees. If you have any unusual or extraordinary expenses, such as laptop or moving expenses, please let Financial Aid know. They may be able to take some of these expenses into account in determining your budget. We also may be able to provide additional financial stipends to offset some of these extraordinary one-time costs. Financial Aid may be reached at http://www.camden.rutgers.edu/node/1364/ or by email at finaid@camden.rutgers.edu or by phone at 856-225-6039 (press 6 and ask for Edie).

Academic Excellence and Location, Location, Location. We encourage you to consider Rutgers Law School at Camden as the place to advance your professional career. Rutgers University is one of the oldest public institutions of higher learning in the nation. Our law school at the Camden campus is proud to continue the university’s academic tradition of excellence and is home to many leading legal scholars. Just minutes from the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, our campus offers an attractive, 40 tree-lined acre, urban campus that is at the base of the Benjamin Franklin Bridge to Philadelphia, the fifth-largest city in America. The Law School opened the doors to its exciting new law school building in 2008, creating state-of-the art classrooms, newly renovated 100-150 seat lecture theaters in the original law building, multiple seminar rooms, and expanded space for student organizations and social life at the law school. The Clark Commons - a magnificent two-story glass bridge and art display - houses a student lounge and Law Cafe and welcomes visitors crossing the Ben Franklin Bridge from Philadelphia into New Jersey. The campus is also part of the redeveloped Camden Waterfront. The Susquehanna Bank Center, Adventure Aquarium, Campbell’s Field (the minor league baseball stadium), the Battleship New Jersey, the recently constructed RiverLINE rail system, and federal and state courts are located adjacent to or within a few short blocks of the law school. Only 1 1/2 hours from New York City, 2 hours from Baltimore, 2 1/2-3 hours from Washington D.C., with the famous Jersey shore with miles of beaches and Atlantic City just over one hour away, students have many options available to them for week-end excursions.

If you are interested in speaking with a faculty member about a particular area of the law, career services, a student or alumni located in your part of the nation, or would like to tour the law school, please contact rubert@camlaw.rutgers.edu . Please note, this scholarship is not transferrable to any other school within the Rutgers system or outside of our Law School at Camden. All admissions are subject to final review and approval by the Admissions Committee.

As a 1986 graduate of the Law School and a former partner at a major Philadelphia firm, if you have any questions concerning the law school, housing or your potential legal career, please feel free to contact me at 800/466-7561 or by e-mail at csa@camlaw.rutgers.edu. I look forward to seeing you among the class that enters in the Fall of 2012.
I certainly hope that no incoming students paid any amount whatsoever to attend this fall...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HarlandBassett

Bronze

Post by HarlandBassett » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:28 pm

sd5289 wrote: I certainly hope that no incoming students paid any amount whatsoever to attend this fall...
even if all those students didnt pay anything for 1L, Rutgers would make the money back in 2L and 3L years, not to mention opportunity costs

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:43 pm

Rutgers-Camden is characterized as A Public Law School of National Distinction

It is known for

its faculty's commitment to scholarship and teaching. Rutgers have assembled an extraordinary group of scholars whose influence on a wide spectrum of public policy and academic issues is recognized nationally on an almost daily basis. its members bring an unparalleled devotion to teaching and a shared goal of enabling students to succeed.

A curriculum that provides students with the critical foundation in law, and also encompasses emerging issues in critical areas such as environmental, health and intellectual property law.

A highly motivated and diverse student body from across the country that takes passionate and active interest both in creating a vibrant law school community and in the wider community through a variety of issues and causes.

A newly constructed, world-class law school facility, featuring state-of-the-art classrooms, a fully appointed moot courtroom, and extraordinary spaces for studying and building community.

Innovative academic programs that support the rising trajectory of our school and our students, including a Legal Research and Writing program ranked among the nation's top 12 by U.S. News & World Report.

A wide array of clinical and pro bono programs and courses that encourage students to obtain hands-on experience and represent clients, under the supervision of experienced lawyers, in civil matters and domestic violence cases as well as in revitalizing the Camden community. Students also gain valuable experience by working as externs in government and the private sector. Clinical programs include an innovative Children's Justice Clinic that serves high-risk youth. Other students make the law come alive through the Marshall-Brennan Program, whose members teach a course on constitutional rights and responsibilities in Camden-area public high schools, including a special curriculum on the history and future of democracy and the right to vote.

An outstanding record of placing students in high-quality first jobs upon graduation. Rutgers—Camden ranks second only to Yale in the percentage of graduates awarded judicial clerkships, which are the springboards to outstanding careers in both the public and private sectors. We are one of the fastest growing providers of legal talent to the Philadelphia market.

An association of distinguished alumni who not only are leaders in the judiciary, government, law firms, business, and the public interest, but also lend unparalleled support both to students and recent graduates.

The resources of Rutgers, a world-class research university, which supports the law school and offers collaborative opportunities in other disciplines, such as business, medicine, and planning and public policy.

Rutgers is recognized as one of the outstanding public law schools in the United States and the preeminent institution training lawyers for New Jersey and the Philadelphia region.

As a prospective student, I look forward to a fulfilling experience at rutgers.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:49 pm

Jah'rakal wrote: As a prospective student, Rutgers-Camden Dean Rayman L. Solomon, I look forward to a fulfilling experience at rutgers.
Nice try, Rutgers-Camden Dean Rayman L. Solomon.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:52 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:Rutgers-Camden is characterized as A Public Law School of National Distinction

It is known for

its faculty's commitment to scholarship and teaching. Rutgers have assembled an extraordinary group of scholars whose influence on a wide spectrum of public policy and academic issues is recognized nationally on an almost daily basis. its members bring an unparalleled devotion to teaching and a shared goal of enabling students to succeed.

A curriculum that provides students with the critical foundation in law, and also encompasses emerging issues in critical areas such as environmental, health and intellectual property law.

A highly motivated and diverse student body from across the country that takes passionate and active interest both in creating a vibrant law school community and in the wider community through a variety of issues and causes.

A newly constructed, world-class law school facility, featuring state-of-the-art classrooms, a fully appointed moot courtroom, and extraordinary spaces for studying and building community.

Innovative academic programs that support the rising trajectory of our school and our students, including a Legal Research and Writing program ranked among the nation's top 12 by U.S. News & World Report.

A wide array of clinical and pro bono programs and courses that encourage students to obtain hands-on experience and represent clients, under the supervision of experienced lawyers, in civil matters and domestic violence cases as well as in revitalizing the Camden community. Students also gain valuable experience by working as externs in government and the private sector. Clinical programs include an innovative Children's Justice Clinic that serves high-risk youth. Other students make the law come alive through the Marshall-Brennan Program, whose members teach a course on constitutional rights and responsibilities in Camden-area public high schools, including a special curriculum on the history and future of democracy and the right to vote.

An outstanding record of placing students in high-quality first jobs upon graduation. Rutgers—Camden ranks second only to Yale in the percentage of graduates awarded judicial clerkships, which are the springboards to outstanding careers in both the public and private sectors. We are one of the fastest growing providers of legal talent to the Philadelphia market.

An association of distinguished alumni who not only are leaders in the judiciary, government, law firms, business, and the public interest, but also lend unparalleled support both to students and recent graduates.

The resources of Rutgers, a world-class research university, which supports the law school and offers collaborative opportunities in other disciplines, such as business, medicine, and planning and public policy.

Rutgers is recognized as one of the outstanding public law schools in the United States and the preeminent institution training lawyers for New Jersey and the Philadelphia region.

Here we go again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:41 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:Rutgers-Camden is characterized as A Public Law School of National Distinction

It is known for

Here we go again.
So many of those things, particularly those in bold, don't mean anything and/or are taken remarkably out of context in a sad attempt to give them greater meaning. Highly lol-worthy.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:42 pm

swampthang wrote:So many of those things, particularly those in bold, don't mean anything and/or are taken remarkably out of context in a sad attempt to give them greater meaning. Highly lol-worthy.
No, I was referring to the poster. He is just coming off a ban for this sort of shit. This is all he does.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:44 pm

bjsesq wrote:
swampthang wrote:So many of those things, particularly those in bold, don't mean anything and/or are taken remarkably out of context in a sad attempt to give them greater meaning. Highly lol-worthy.
No, I was referring to the poster. He is just coming off a ban for this sort of shit. This is all he does.
lol did he really get banned?

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:44 pm

bjsesq wrote:
i don't know why u guys hate it, but i think TLS should allow different opinions/voices, and quit being an angry urm and lighten up

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:46 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
i don't know why u guys hate it, but i think TLS should allow different opinions/voices, and quit being an angry urm and lighten up
LOL wut

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Now you see what I mean. Enjoy your ban. Hopefully the mods stop fucking around and make it permanent this time.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Both Dean Solomon and Dean Andrews are really nice. I wish I was still there and working in admissions so I could say something about all of this stuff. It's a fine school for south jersey/Philly and they really don't have to resort to funny tactics or anything. I blame Chris Christie for fucking up a lot of the school's goodwill among applicants with all the shitty-ass merger talk.

I also really hate to see this because the c/o 2013 is filled with some of the most awesome people I've ever met and the faculty is phenomenal. Career services is *significantly* better than people give it credit for (assuming you go to the right people, but that's the same everywhere). It all just gives me a giant sad :(.

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:50 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Now you see what I mean. Enjoy your ban. Hopefully the mods stop fucking around and make it permanent this time.
r u not urm? r u not angry? r u not entertained? is this not what u came for?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:52 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:r u not urm? r u not angry? r u not entertained? is this not what u came for?
Come on, man. You're not even trying anymore.

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:53 pm

keg411 wrote:Both Dean Solomon and Dean Andrews are really nice. I wish I was still there and working in admissions so I could say something about all of this stuff. It's a fine school for south jersey/Philly and they really don't have to resort to funny tactics or anything. I blame Chris Christie for fucking up a lot of the school's goodwill among applicants with all the shitty-ass merger talk.

I also really hate to see this because the c/o 2013 is filled with some of the most awesome people I've ever met and the faculty is phenomenal. Career services is *significantly* better than people give it credit for (assuming you go to the right people, but that's the same everywhere). It all just gives me a giant sad :(.
i agree, the lawyer market gone down the toilet and all the outside circumstances should be blamed on rutgers, i think the school is just doing what it can to stay relevant, and unfortunately, many elite students think they are simply too good for it and it would be a great idea to mock a school who meant no harm

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:58 pm

I'm not sure if anyone else has brought this up in this shitshow of a thread, but I got an offer of admission a few weeks ago. My transcript was posted to LSAC earlier this year and I've taken the LSAT twice, but I'm a rising senior. LOL CAN I START IN THE FALL REALLY?!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:03 pm

I'm so glad that this thread is in the on-topic forums.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:59 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else has brought this up in this shitshow of a thread, but I got an offer of admission a few weeks ago. My transcript was posted to LSAC earlier this year and I've taken the LSAT twice, but I'm a rising senior. LOL CAN I START IN THE FALL REALLY?!
This, plus lying about indebtedness figures, then trying to pass it off on some lowly staff member while complaining about how difficult such a calculation is. No doubt the merger talks shook things up a little, but RU-C's reaction to these pressures has been Three Stooges bad.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:09 pm

i don't really get how the dean or any administrator could have honestly believed that US News and the ABA were asking for the debt of students for just one year - why would that information be useful? All anyone cares about is the total amount of debt. What a disingenuous and transparent lie.

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:16 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:i don't really get how the dean or any administrator could have honestly believed that US News and the ABA were asking for the debt of students for just one year - why would that information be useful? All anyone cares about is the total amount of debt. What a disingenuous and transparent lie.
Especially after US News (or whoever) used that 1 year figure to compare them to every other school in the country and praised RU-C for their low debtload causing Dean Solobad to issue a press release trumping their fraudulent data. Campos's response to his email is perfect. There's not even plausible deniability: it's just outright fraud.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:51 pm

keg411 wrote:Both Dean Solomon and Dean Andrews are really nice. I wish I was still there and working in admissions so I could say something about all of this stuff. It's a fine school for south jersey/Philly and they really don't have to resort to funny tactics or anything. I blame Chris Christie for fucking up a lot of the school's goodwill among applicants with all the shitty-ass merger talk.

+1

I agree, I've really enjoyed every last professor I've had and everyone who I've come across that works there has been great. The school does do well in Jersey and some people do manage to trickle over to Philly, it's just a shame to see how poorly things are being run into the ground now. It just seems like there's some new bad press every other week. While the merger did screw up the law school and send it spiraling, it may have been a half-way decent move for the rest of the campus since the Rutgers system is so strangely disjointed.

It's just a shame, even with the merger stopped the school is just reeling and flailing right now. I'm hoping that one day it can recover, but I'm fearful. Even if it does, that'll be a number of years from now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”