Transfer - TTT 50% scholly v. Michigan

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
salvage

Transfer - TTT 50% scholly v. Michigan

Postby salvage » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:43 pm

I'm 99% leaning toward Michigan here, but wanted to check to be sure this is really the right decision before I pull the trigger. I go to a TTT and was top 5% first year. I've been living in the city it's located in for over 4 years now and have a serious GF who is not willing to move w/ her work right away, although she supports the transfer. The TTT OCI has only 30 employers, while Michigan's boasts almost 500. Am I putting myself in that much better a position by accepting Michigan at full (crazy!) sticker as far as employment prospects go? I'm just worried OCI employers will not treat me equally to other 2Ls due to my transfer status. Should there even be a question here?

marmot8

Re: Transfer - TTT 50% scholly v. Michigan

Postby marmot8 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:44 pm

salvage wrote:I'm 99% leaning toward Michigan here, but wanted to check to be sure this is really the right decision before I pull the trigger. I go to a TTT and was top 5% first year. I've been living in the city it's located in for over 4 years now and have a serious GF who is not willing to move w/ her work right away, although she supports the transfer. The TTT OCI has only 30 employers, while Michigan's boasts almost 500. Am I putting myself in that much better a position by accepting Michigan at full (crazy!) sticker as far as employment prospects go? I'm just worried OCI employers will not treat me equally to other 2Ls due to my transfer status. Should there even be a question here?

No.

ajaxconstructions

Postby ajaxconstructions » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:44 pm

herpderp go to michigan.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:46 pm

salvage wrote:I'm 99% leaning toward Michigan here, but wanted to check to be sure this is really the right decision before I pull the trigger. I go to a TTT and was top 5% first year. I've been living in the city it's located in for over 4 years now and have a serious GF who is not willing to move w/ her work right away, although she supports the transfer. The TTT OCI has only 30 employers, while Michigan's boasts almost 500. Am I putting myself in that much better a position by accepting Michigan at full (crazy!) sticker as far as employment prospects go? I'm just worried OCI employers will not treat me equally to other 2Ls due to my transfer status. Should there even be a question here?

YES & NO!!!! GO BRO... ur GF is in support, ull make it work. never look back

salvage

Postby salvage » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:49 pm

TLSwag wrote:

YES & NO!!!! GO BRO... ur GF is in support, ull make it work. never look back

Kinda what I was expecting. My main concern is the transfer stigma, however. Is there any validity to that?

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:50 pm

Even if you had a full scholly at your TTT the answer would be Michigan.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Michigan is reported to be a very transfer friendly law school.

midwestls

Postby midwestls » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:53 pm

I have two friends who transferred to Michigan from the TTT I attended. Both gave up considerable scholarship money to do so, more than you're talking here. For one it was a lateral move IMO - he probably would have landed a similar firm job in the same market with a lot less debt from the TTT. The other ended up with an opportunity that would have never happened without the transfer. You have to weigh your own chances vs. the given opportunity.

There's also the question of your targeted job markets. There are many markets that Michigan will give you a shot at that most TTTs won't. If you were telling me you had a full ride at Wayne and wanted to work in Detroit, it might be a tougher question, but if you're at MSU and you want to work in NYC, it's a no-brainer.

Good luck.

salvage

Postby salvage » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:15 pm

I'm in Minneapolis and want to work in any large city. Minneapolis chances better at Michigan?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:24 pm

Please go send in your deposit to Michigan now. GO! Stop reading this post already!

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:28 pm

salvage wrote:I'm in Minneapolis and want to work in any large city. Minneapolis chances better at Michigan?

all your chances are better at michigan

salvage

Postby salvage » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:09 pm

Fair enough, thanks!

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:17 pm

salvage wrote:Fair enough, thanks!

seriously, its an awesome place. i went to UG there i absolutely love ann arbor, if you have any questions about anything PM me... i could tell you some places to hit up once ur a wolverine !

EnchantedJockstrap

Postby EnchantedJockstrap » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:44 pm

TLSwag wrote:
salvage wrote:I'm in Minneapolis and want to work in any large city. Minneapolis chances better at Michigan?

all your chances are better at michigan

+1

Return to “Choosing a Law School”